EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   51 MPG. Reached my goal! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/51-mpg-reached-my-goal-12846.html)

nayeliesuncle 04-03-2010 05:45 PM

51 MPG. Reached my goal!

:D

Wow guys!

I wish I could show you how excited I am!

Let's get to the numbers:

On 7.3 gallons of fuel (regular 87 gasoline)

Got 370.1 miles.

Reaching my ultimate goal of 50 MPG and surpassing it.

The car still has a bit left in it. Let's see if I can get to 70 MPG.

I have to thank everyone who has helped, encouraged, and discouraged (outside of the forums only) me in this great objective.

:thumbup:

RobertSmalls 04-03-2010 05:53 PM

Wow, that was fast, and congratulations.

Let me discourage you just a little bit: you might have gotten lucky with the weather, traffic, or whatever on that tank. The pump at the gas station might have clicked off a little bit sooner than usual. Your next goal should be 50mpg on your next two tanks. If you get that, you can call it a trend, then shoot for your next milestone.

70mpg... That's a big number. I haven't had a 70mpg tank average in the Insight this winter.

Angmaar 04-03-2010 05:54 PM

Nice mpg! What mods have you made?

SentraSE-R 04-03-2010 07:45 PM

Great job! Congratulations.

nayeliesuncle 04-03-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 169066)
Wow, that was fast, and congratulations.

Let me discourage you just a little bit: you might have gotten lucky with the weather, traffic, or whatever on that tank. The pump at the gas station might have clicked off a little bit sooner than usual. Your next goal should be 50mpg on your next two tanks. If you get that, you can call it a trend, then shoot for your next milestone.

70mpg... That's a big number. I haven't had a 70mpg tank average in the Insight this winter.

Thanks. I'm still in shock! :)

Weather was typical Caribbean weather: Hot, high humidity, and strong winds. It rained heavily two days in a row.

Traffic was the usual jungle. This is what makes it even more amazing. My stop speed was 70 MPH on some parts to P&G. My average speed was between 50-55 (highway).

The tank measurement cannot be too far because I emptied the tank and towed the car to the nearest fuel station. There was no left over fuel or fuel in the reserve. I refilled the tank at 370.1 miles, but I think it had some left over. Did not want to risk damaging the fuel pump.

I'm shooting to get an average down, as you stated. But it was too exciting to not share this!:D
Maybe it was the polar ice caps, or sun spots, but whatever it was, it was awesome.

I'd like to get to 70 MPG, but really doubt I'll get there (OTOH, I thought about 50 MPG the same way).

The next step is get the car cleaned up, and nice. Then the wheel covers, kammback, and underbelly.

Can't wait.:thumbup:

PS. I'm making a little video later this week. Will post it as soon as I have it.
Also, don't get discouraged. Keep going!

nayeliesuncle 04-03-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angmaar (Post 169067)
Nice mpg! What mods have you made?

Removed side mirrors.
Tires to 44 PSI
Taped front bumper shut. Left a small hole for cooling purposes.
Adjusted the nut behind the wheel.

That's it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R (Post 169074)
Great job! Congratulations.

Thanks man! Your car really inspired me.

Angmaar 04-03-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nayeliesuncle (Post 169112)
Removed side mirrors.
Tires to 44 PSI
Taped front bumper shut. Left a small hole for cooling purposes.
Adjusted the nut behind the wheel.

That's it.

That's a lot of MPG for not a lot of changes. (except for the nut adjusting)

hummingbird 04-04-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 169066)
...70mpg... That's a big number. I haven't had a 70mpg tank average in the Insight this winter.

Where did I miss the figure 70 mpg?? I thought (and his log shows) it to be 50+ mpg.

Toby 04-04-2010 10:22 AM

Well done. I've had two tanks break 50 now with similar mods. It can be done.

It feels great, doesn't it?

I see you have an automatic transmission. That doesn't make it any easier, but I suppose your listed curb weight of 2 lbs more than offsets it.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage....vehicleid=3692

Angmaar 04-04-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 169142)
Well done. I've had two tanks break 50 now with similar mods. It can be done.

It feels great, doesn't it?

I see you have an automatic transmission. That doesn't make it any easier, but I suppose your listed curb weight of 2 lbs more than offsets it.

Details: Mirage - 1993 Mitsubishi Mirage ES Fuel Economy - EcoModder.com

If you remove the comma (the ,) from the vehicle weight it will show up correctly. Although a 2lb car would be cool. :D