Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nissan 300zx

Hello,

I've been thinking about purchasing a Nissan 300ZX (Z32) and looking for ways to make it more fuel efficient. While I understand this is not a very fuel efficient model to begin with, I'm doing this more as a project than something I need to save fuel with.

I've done some searching on the forums and google and seen a few interesting projects, such as an all-electric 300ZX. My goal is to maintain the stock powertrain but add an electric motor to make it a direct drive, or possibly using electric wheel motors in the front if that is possible. If anybody has any ideas on where I should start, please let me know. The vehicle gets 16 / 22 MPG when it was new, I was wondering if it was possible to see 20 in the city with the addition of an electric motor. These are the initial goals, as eventually I will be looking into other methods as well. Thank you for the input.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
What year vehicle ?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
It's a rear wheel drive, so a motor like the TransWarP motor from NetGain could work, it has half shafts in the rear so it'd be a lot easier to mount the motor then it would be on a vehicle that had a solid rear axle where the drive shaft would have to move with the rear end.
I just looked at a Nissan 300zx that was converted to electric that is for sale, it a full electric looks like a fine way to go.
It is a heavy car with wide tires tho, so any where that you can save weight would help.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The model year I'm looking at would be 1990 - 1996 Twin-Turbo w/ 5 Speed. I've looked into the NetGain motors, but I'm not sure as to which motor I should buy. I think at this point, I'll have to buy the vehicle and do the actual measurements myself.

I'll have to find a way to get the electric motor to move when the throttle is applied for that "power assist" function to work. I've seen some videos online regarding hybrids with other performance RWD vehicles, it definitely does work although at this point it maybe a while before this becomes reality.

Reply  Post New Thread