EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   $62 e-bike (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/62-e-bike-38141.html)

hayden55 01-29-2020 03:19 PM

$62 e-bike

2 Attachment(s)
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to stay legal as a "electric-bicycle"
Well, I gave into bad decisions and purchased a 29" mountain bike. Grand total spent: $62.00.
Next on the agenda:
How many of you have purchased from Alibaba before? I'm looking to find a 29" 1500w rear wheel for this thing.

redpoint5 01-29-2020 04:18 PM

Is that really a $62 bike?

I'd weld the fork because that suspension is going to be junk. Heck, I'd probably weld everything into place once you set it.

I was given a bike-shaped-object once, and it technically moved when pedaled, but everything about it was garbage.

I've often wondered if it really does cost 100x more to make a bike 2x better.

hayden55 01-29-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 616269)
Is that really a $62 bike?

I'd weld the fork because that suspension is going to be junk. Heck, I'd probably weld everything into place once you set it.

I was given a bike-shaped-object once, and it technically moved when pedaled, but everything about it was garbage.

I've often wondered if it really does cost 100x more to make a bike 2x better.

I wonder the same thing. I can weld it up if need be for free. I honestly wonder if it shows up for $62.00.
I paid with paypal though so I'm good.

oldtamiyaphile 01-29-2020 07:21 PM

$62 bike + 1500W = death trap

Seriously, I wouldn't ride it on leg power (~200W). Nasty things happen when cheap bikes break.

redpoint5 01-29-2020 07:37 PM

Oh yeah, my freebee bike had "disc" brakes, but they hardly worked. Hopefully the cheap bike brakes work because you'll need it with extra weight and speed.

I'd probably experiment on a cheap bike, and if needed, upgrade it later.

That said, there should be plenty of examples of successful builds on the internet.

I'm currently building a projector screen frame and discovering many issues that could have been avoided if I had done more research. Might have saved me money too if I end up having to throw the whole thing into a bonfire and start over.

hayden55 01-30-2020 08:19 AM

I mean slave labor makes a pretty robust bike.
300$ bike = $35 frame, $180 labor, $35 shipping, and $50 profit.
$62 bike = $35 frame, $35 sh....
Wait a minute.

redpoint5 01-30-2020 11:50 AM

These crazy low prices especially for shipping seem unsustainable to me.

I can't ship a small package next door for less than about $10. I buy things on Ebay all the time for $1-3 shipped to my door. I understand how the shipping price imbalance works somewhat, but I'd think even the Chinese postal workers are going to need more than 3 cents to make it worth their time to sort packages.

hayden55 01-30-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 616315)

I can't ship a small package next door for less than about $10. I buy things on Ebay all the time for $1-3 shipped to my door. I understand how the shipping price imbalance works somewhat, but I'd think even the Chinese postal workers are going to need more than 3 cents to make it worth their time to sort packages.

This is the entire reason why I either tear apart stuff now or just ****ing throw it away now instead of trying to put it on ebay. Its not even worth my time on some things to take 45 minutes to drive over and ship something for x price anymore.

oldtamiyaphile 01-30-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 616315)

There's an international postage treaty that the Chinese abuse, that's why it's cheaper to get something from China, than it is from the same city. They basically dump parcels at Western docks and the local postal carriers are obliged to deliver them, paid for or not. This drives up the cost of local postage.

As for the bikes, it's not just quality, they're unlikely to have the geometry to be safe at speed. There's a massive difference in geometry and drive train friction. I tried to commute on a cheap bike, did it ONCE and that was scary enough.

redpoint5 01-30-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayden55 (Post 616322)
This is the entire reason why I either tear apart stuff now or just ****ing throw it away now instead of trying to put it on ebay. Its not even worth my time on some things to take 45 minutes to drive over and ship something for x price anymore.

I have had generally very good experiences on Ebay. All of my Craigslist interactions have been great...

Apps like OfferUp are ruining online marketplaces. It's so simple/easy to use that the worst people collect on there. You know, the type that want you to deliver free furniture an hour away, or massively lowball price and ask for delivery, and then get upset when you sell for asking to someone willing to pick it up. I've probably sent 60+ messages trying to give away a futon, but everyone is a flake or just forgot that they don't own a truck to pick it up.

I'm at the point now that unless I can easily sell something for more than $100, it's best to just drop it off at Goodwill and take the tax deduction.