EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   70 MPG CNG car (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/70-mpg-cng-car-67.html)

Lazarus 11-18-2007 05:19 PM

70 MPG CNG car

I'm still looking into LPG and ran across this. :cool: Very interesting concept.

SVOboy 11-18-2007 05:27 PM

Ah, i saw that on a blog a few days ago. Too bad it's so impractical! :p

bennelson 01-10-2008 06:34 PM

Wonder what kind of range and mileage you could get by strapping a 20lb LP tank to a motorcycle?

(And NO, NOT as an EXTERNAL combustion engine. Althought the speed would be fun!:)

RH77 01-10-2008 09:29 PM

Civic GX

I still dream of owning a Civic GX and re-fueling at home.

Too bad that:
  1. It's automatic only, and
  2. The home Natural Gas fueling system ("Phill") isn't approved Nationwide...

Wait and see...

RH77

Shawn D. 03-05-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 4874)
Too bad that:
  1. It's automatic only, and
  2. The home Natural Gas fueling system ("Phill") isn't approved Nationwide...

The "Phill" also uses an extreme amount of electricity when refueling the vehicle. You're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

roflwaffle 03-05-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn D. (Post 91057)
The "Phill" also uses an extreme amount of electricity when refueling the vehicle. You're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The "Phill" uses a little less than 2kWh to compress one GGE of NG, so it's "robbing" about 5%. Not a whole lot IMO.

vinny1989 03-05-2009 05:47 PM

Interesting, but ive noticed a few things about it that i just cant agree with:

- Wrong trike design. - 2 wheels at the front (tadpole) is more stable and more aerodynamic
- Get rid of the air-con, or at least make it an option
- 3cyl 100hp? Why? For its size and weight 50 or 60hp is plenty (Note it doesn't specify the cc of the engine, why?)
- 120mph top speed? Not necessary. 80mph is fast enough
- 5speed manual? Excuse me?... a 6sp manual would be better, and only a 3spd auto... Talk about rubbish. a 5spd auto is available in most European cars, why not American?
- Only lap seat belts, but still has air bags. Great, so if you crash (likely due to the inherently unstable delta trike design) you'll get whiplash, and suffocated by an air bag instead of being held to the seat.

$19,000 is too much for a vehicle with those faults, sorry. I could buy a brand new Fiat Panda 1.3 multijet dynamic Diesel for only (£9395) $13,265. I know, the panda isnt available in the US, but you can see my point?

Im not trying to annoy anybody, so sorry if i did. Im just saying that although that trike does look nice and gets good mpg, its just not much car for the price, that's all.

trikkonceptz 03-05-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinny1989 (Post 91153)
Im not trying to annoy anybody, so sorry if i did. Im just saying that although that trike does look nice and gets good mpg, its just not much car for the price, that's all.

I will agree ... it's a bug motor .... now they have created a new technology to compress the gas that feeds the VW motor, but that is where the innovation ends. I did not see any photos of the chassis, just the fiberglass body.

Someone was asking about how many cc's earlier, well by the looks of it 1600 - 1776, depending on the carb set up, any larger and vw's required dual carburetors.

Good luck to them, at least its one more person giving it a shot ..

vinny1989 03-06-2009 03:56 PM

So all they're doing is supercharging an old beetles engine, using a tank of air... Couple of scuba tanks could probably give the same result, albeit for less time?

Hmm, if that is all they've done, i think ill just still to normal engines.

Allch Chcar 03-17-2009 03:15 PM

As an honorable mention, Honda still sells their CNG car but only in Cali. CNG is a fossil fuel product so this should be posted somewhere else.