EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   94 f150 fuel mileage increases??? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/94-f150-fuel-mileage-increases-26747.html)

#1fordguy 08-20-2013 01:06 PM

94 f150 fuel mileage increases???

Hi,
I have a 94 F150 2wd with 300-6 5spd. Runs great, I just bought it, it runs really good. Cruises pretty well on the highway, probably thanks to tall gears and a 5spd overdrive.
So anyone have any success bumping up the mpgs? The MPG range stock is about 13-18 with 15 average. So the feds say anyway.
I was thinking it could pull over 20.
I had a 79 with a 3spd manual that was doing 20's but that was carburetor and all old school.
So this 94, the throttle response isn't nearly as good as a carb setup, but it seems to run a lot smoother.
Any suggestions on some ways to increase my mileage without breaking the bank? I may be able to lower the truck a little, and put an air break on the grill, and I was thinking electric fan.
Shes riding on 215 70 15's, and is an XL, all stock. No AC, manual everything in the cab, does have power steering and brakes.
Thanks all!

JRMichler 08-20-2013 01:24 PM

Start with a gas log so that you know what mileage YOU are getting. Then read up on driving techniques: 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com. You will gain more from driving techniques than from a few mods.

slowmover 08-20-2013 01:39 PM

Along with the above make the mechanical baseline as good as possible. No steering slop, perfect alignment, etc. All book maintenance to date/miles. TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED! Take your time on tire choices, it's a big deal on a truck.

Aero and gearing are about it for vehicle spec. Plenty to read about around here in re the former (aerolid); I'd start with a half-tonneau cover ((where pressures are equal on both sides of tailgate).

Smart Use would be planning trips of all types. Combined errands, best routing (loop), etc.

A baseline mpg is needed. Improvements are the percentage decrease in fuel burn to that baseline (highs or lows per tank are meaningless, ONLY the average mpg counts).

Good luck.

#1fordguy 08-20-2013 02:14 PM

Thanks guys, I will track a few tanks for gas and get that on here. Makes sense to have a starting point. Most of my driving is highway so things I change should show quickly if they work!

slowmover 08-20-2013 02:36 PM

Forgot to add (but you likely have a start on it) read all other truck/van/motorhome threads -- of any type -- as there really aren't that many. Take notes, and bring them up in your thread as the rest of us will chime in with truck-related experience.

oil pan 4 08-20-2013 03:12 PM

If you do a lot of highway with a pickup your best bet is:
Air dam
Partial grill block, especially for VT in winter.
Belt driven fan removal and eventual electric fan conversion
And some kind of bed cover, fastback guys are reporting around +3mpg.

#1fordguy 08-21-2013 12:28 AM

Cool so some of my thoughts make sense!
Tonneau covers are cheap, and look good.
Anyone thing lowering the truck some will do anything? As I am in VT I can't drop it to the ground but perhaps a couple inches?
Anyone have thoughts on a MAF conversion? I think my truck has speed density fuel system, or something along those lines. Seems like a lot of work to go to MAF setup but does sound like it works better.

#1fordguy 09-10-2013 01:49 AM

Hi all,
So my MPGs seem to be running about 15.7. I thought I would be closer to 20. I notice a slight stumble when it is idling, I am thinking of dropping a set of plugs in it, see if it smooths out. Maybe I will go for the E-3 plugs. And I need to check the air filter. I will start simple, see if I get anything there.

oil pan 4 09-10-2013 02:03 AM

The E3 plugs are a gimic.
You could try lowering it a few inches. I lived in maine for many years and if the snow is any where near even with your pickup bumper its best just to say in.
You can try to do a MAF conversion but I think it would be quite an indepth change over, I think it would be best to start with wrecked or rusted out MAF ford truck you can pull what ever parts you need off from.

#1fordguy 09-10-2013 10:47 AM

I read a few forums about these conversions. Do you know anyone who has done one? I just wonder if it really gives you any bang for the buck? Seems like a project to do but it may be a great improvement. I had a 79 f100 with a 3spd that got better mpgs than this truck. That was with a 1 bbl carb and a glasspack, no converter. I had higher expectations for a fuel injected 300. Its a joke really. 20 yrs and no improvement. good job Ford. I will say it runs good, but still. My old truck ran just as good. Guess all I can do is try to get the most out of this one now.