EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   94 honda civic to EV, AC Motors? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/94-honda-civic-ev-ac-motors-11000.html)

sirus20x6 11-15-2009 01:26 PM

94 honda civic to EV, AC Motors?

I'm looking to eventually start converting a 94 honda civic (manual) to electric. I want regenerative breaking so I'm thinking AC motors are a must.

The way I would like to do it is by having 2 small AC motors hooked up to the axles. the reasoning behind that is I could in theory measure how far the steering wheel is turned and making the outside wheel turn just a little bit faster than the inside wheel. MMmmmmm cornering.

Now from what I understand that would mean 2 ac motor controllers, and a little bit of programming by me. I'm not sure how feasible this is. It's just an idea I think highly of right now :)

Alternative options: Once larger AC motor and replace the manual trans with a differential. I haven't really seen much of this besides the audi metric mind is in the middle of converting. not even sure what ratio I would use. If i remember correctly he is using 5:1 or something like that. I wont have 4 wheel drive and a really expensive setup like him so I'm guessing I wont have 1/4 torque of his setup.

last option: one AC motor hooked directly up to my existing manual trans. easiest solution, but I dont want all that extra weight and I'd rather not shift :)

Anyone have any ideas about what size ac motors I would use for these scenarios? like what kind of continuous HP and RPM I would need.

I'll prolly go lead acid batteries unless I can scrap together enough for lithium. I'd even trade off some mileage for a smaller lithium pack to save on weight. I'd rather the car feel a bit zippier and corner well then have it capable of going 100 miles.

My work is about 18 miles from home. Anything farther then that and I'd just use my dino juice sucking car.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions you might have!

Ryland 11-15-2009 03:26 PM

The tranny on your car is maybe 75 pounds and it bolts in to your car and axles already, it would also give you an option of gear ratios you have, so unless you are good at fabricating your own parts or have a large budget I would stick with the tranny.
Foxx Power just dropped their price on Lithium batteries, looks to be about three times the cost of lead acid, they have been around for a while and altho they seem to send out alot of bad batteries and take their time in replacing them, they do replace the bad ones and in the end you end up with a good pack.
what motor are you thinking about using?

sirus20x6 11-15-2009 03:29 PM

I dont know that's what I'm trying to figure out. I dont even know what hp to shoot for.

Ryland 11-16-2009 01:49 AM

EVAlbum: Search Results

sirus20x6 11-24-2009 02:58 PM

good find?
Toshiba EPACT High Eff 3 Phase 40HP 3520RPM AC Motor - eBay (item 370294045092 end time Nov-27-09 12:48:40 PST)

etc 12-02-2009 12:36 AM

The prius has a dc to ac inverter/controller that controls 2 motors, which I think automatically switches to accept power for regen. braking. I bought one but didnt purchase the wiring harness or cpu so I am having trouble locating wiring diagrams for the actual ins and outs. You may look into that or find a salvaged Prius and it would already have everything you would need: controller/inverter,lithium batteries, 2 ac 3 phase motors, the computer, and all the wiring, switches, and lights. Toyota already did the hard work for us..... maybe.

The inverter I purchased,

http://www.nwaev.com/prius1.jpg

Thanks for your time.
Brian

dcb 12-02-2009 09:53 PM

Lol, you put a 400 lb motor in a civic and you have to invite me out to elburn to see it :)

been relisted:
Toshiba EPACT High Eff 3 Phase 40HP 3520RPM AC Motor - eBay (item 370297961960 end time Dec-04-09 12:54:41 PST)

I would probably look to Pauls 3 phase project for an inverter, the IGBTs are fairly cheap these days, I might be able to help sort that out (I'm in STC). Reverse enginering an existing (prius) inverter is hit or miss and not worth the effort IMHO
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ler-10839.html

Christ 12-02-2009 11:54 PM

400LBs is about the same amount of engine as the K-series... Maybe the H-series is close. They've both been installed in Civics. The K- has an iron block, so you know that thing is huge and heavy, and HaSport makes a bolt-in installation kit for it (minus wiring, etc.)

Then again, they also have mounts that allow you to put a J-series (V6) into an EG chassis, so noone's saying they're sane.

sirus20x6 12-03-2009 10:36 PM

yeah i was thinking 400lb was too much

sirus20x6 12-03-2009 10:39 PM

AC Motor 15 HP 3-Phase Shaft Diameter 1 5/8" 254T Frame - eBay (item 280376139770 end time Dec-20-09 06:24:05 PST)