EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   98 Superhawk (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/98-superhawk-28332.html)

mazdamx640 03-02-2014 04:57 PM

98 Superhawk
 
I have a 98 honda superhawk and want to get better fuel mileage without ruining the way it looks so I want to start by changing the rear sprocket.
I have already gone from a 16 to 17 tooth sprocket on the front and put on a 39 from the stock 41 but can't find anything smaller any ideas?
Thanks
Jon

jkv357 03-02-2014 05:13 PM

I think that may be about it.

A 1000cc twin is only going to do so well in the MPG department no matter what you do. If you really want good numbers sell it and buy a CBR250R.

Otherwise just have fun with it.

mazdamx640 03-02-2014 05:46 PM

I enjoy my big vtwin too much to ride anything else but I know the engine could be spinning allot slower and still pull hills good and i can always downshift if it doesn't. I would like to get down to 30 teeth on the rear

mechman600 03-02-2014 06:37 PM

I had a '97 Superhawk. Awful awful awful on fuel. A tiny fuel tank doesn't help for range. All I can say is good luck.
Gear it WAY higher and try to keep the revs very low, relying on the gobs of torque it has to spare. Very very difficult to do, considering how amazing that engine sounds at high revs!

roosterk0031 03-02-2014 07:29 PM

VT1000f made my short list, but the little tank nixed it for me as well. Narrowed down to used FZ1 or new Bandit 1100. FZ1 won for me. Nephew had a SV1000 fun ride, not a lot to do with your Hawk, don't worry about the gearing, look for good deals on tires, they cost about as much per mile as gas. And insurance.

Ironside 03-09-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

I have already gone from a 16 to 17 tooth sprocket on the front and put on a 39 from the stock 41 but can't find anything smaller any ideas?
I took a quick look at JT sprockets website on your behalf, there is an 18 tooth front sprocket available which has the same fitting dimensions as the superhawk, catalogue number JTF 339. I can't say for sure if there will be enough clearance for the larger sprocket, JTS are very helpful it might be worth asking their advice.

Regards,
Ironside.

American Viking 03-11-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironside (Post 414396)
I took a quick look at JT sprockets website on your behalf, there is an 18 tooth front sprocket available which has the same fitting dimensions as the superhawk, catalogue number JTF 339. I can't say for sure if there will be enough clearance for the larger sprocket, JTS are very helpful it might be worth asking their advice.

Regards,
Ironside.

If the 18 will fit without hitting the cases or the guides, I'd go with that.
16/41 is a 2.563
17/39 is a 2.294 or 11% less revs
18/39 is a 2.167 or 18% less revs

If you want more efficiency, than that, you'll have to re-jet and/or downsize the carbs.
Then the only thing you can really do after that is reduce friction and weight (both rotating and non-rotating).

This would be a good bike to consider - Ecotrons EFI conversions on it. Probably could use the EFI Throttle Bodies off an RC51.

jkv357 03-11-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by American Viking (Post 414716)
If the 18 will fit without hitting the cases or the guides, I'd go with that.
16/41 is a 2.563
17/39 is a 2.294 or 11% less revs
18/39 is a 2.167 or 18% less revs

If you want more efficiency, than that, you'll have to re-jet and/or downsize the carbs.
Then the only thing you can really do after that is reduce friction and weight (both rotating and non-rotating).

This would be a good bike to consider - Ecotrons EFI conversions on it. Probably could use the EFI Throttle Bodies off an RC51.

Or you could just get something that started off getting big numbers - like a CBR250.

You will never overcome that much more displacement/power than is required to propel a typical motorcycle at a moderate speed.

Just have fun with it, because there's really no reasonable way to make it get seriously high MPG numbers.

American Viking 03-11-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkv357 (Post 414738)
Or you could just get something that started off getting big numbers - like a CBR250.

You will never overcome that much more displacement/power than is required to propel a typical motorcycle at a moderate speed.

Just have fun with it, because there's really no reasonable way to make it get seriously high MPG numbers.

Some of us would kill a cbr250 and don't want to just buy a new or another bike.. I can add my luggage to a Superhawk and still go touring on it, much like with my VFR.
That's not something I can do with a cbr250.
The OP already has a Superhawk and is not chomping at the bit for another bike, so why not make useful suggestions.

I'd bet that with the right parts you can get descent mileage from it.
Sure its a large-ish V-twin, but that doesn't meant it can't operate more efficiently than it did when it left Honda's factory.

jkv357 03-11-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by American Viking (Post 414749)
Some of us would kill a cbr250 and don't want to just buy a new or another bike.. I can add my luggage to a Superhawk and still go touring on it, much like with my VFR.
That's not something I can do with a cbr250.
The OP already has a Superhawk and is not chomping at the bit for another bike, so why not make useful suggestions.

I'd bet that with the right parts you can get descent mileage from it.
Sure its a large-ish V-twin, but that doesn't meant it can't operate more efficiently than it did when it left Honda's factory.

He didn't say he wanted to add luggage and go touring, he said he wanted better mileage. If mileage is a concern, riding a BIG (1000cc) V-Twin isn't a great choice.

Getting into major mods like you suggested in order to get slightly better mileage from a 1000cc motorcycle is not a useful suggestion.

I think my comment of "just ride it and have fun" is a useful suggestion.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com