EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   9999 seems better (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/9999-seems-better-27489.html)

Joggernot 11-09-2013 04:38 PM

9999 seems better

Yesterday I had a chance to do a little one-way testing. Went 26.4 flat miles with cruise at 50 mph with a slight tail wind and got SGII 35.4 mpg. Return using hard acceleration (70-80 load to 70 mph) followed by glide in gear to 42 mph with SCII reading 9999 on the glide and got SCII 36.6 mpg with slight head wind. Seems like leaving the automatic in gear and getting the 4-9s gives better mileage than coasting with the engine on or cruise even on flat land. EPA for the car is 26 mpg highway. Sorry, no ABA testing done.

Just a fun time in the car.

Gealii 11-09-2013 08:14 PM

i hope that hard acceleration was using the torque converter, accelerating this way is much more efficient. This means that p&g will net u a higher mpg.

when using the TC to p&g i'll give it all the engine load it can handle w/o downshifting

Arragonis 11-16-2013 05:52 PM

Could be real or it could be instruments - think about it. The MPG gauge samples (snapshots) settings on a fixed cycle - if you accelerate hard it has less snapshots to use. The only way you can prove this is via testing on a closed track.

euromodder 11-17-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 399743)
Could be real or it could be instruments - think about it.

The ScanGauge is quite vulnerable to changes in how you drive, so beware until you can get a tank fill in !

Joggernot 11-17-2013 08:22 AM

I had it on fast scan, but you're right, the sampling times/rates can definitely affect the results.

I'll never get a good tank because I'm married...in the two blocks between stop signs, she is still accelerating until 50 feet from the stop sign. On the highway she pumps the gas pedal to maintain an exact distance from the car in front and is afraid she will actually impede someone sometime on the road by going too slow. Oh well, since that's all I have complain about, I've got it good.

Joggernot

Baltothewolf 11-19-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joggernot (Post 399806)
I had it on fast scan, but you're right, the sampling times/rates can definitely affect the results.

I'll never get a good tank because I'm married...in the two blocks between stop signs, she is still accelerating until 50 feet from the stop sign. On the highway she pumps the gas pedal to maintain an exact distance from the car in front and is afraid she will actually impede someone sometime on the road by going too slow. Oh well, since that's all I have complain about, I've got it good.

Joggernot

Tell your wife to shape up her driving or you will go buy another car :p. No but seriously that sucks, I won't let my girl touch my car for that reason.

zingaro 01-11-2014 07:38 AM

HEllo: I could use an explanation : So the consensus is that pulse and glide with an auto trans is better than pulse and coast ( in neutral) ?

And, if this is true its because of the inertia built up in the TC???

Ive recently adapted the glide into my 12 ram cargo van strategy and im getting some better data... Got some hills here in NC .... z

Arragonis 01-11-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

I think the scan speed is adjustable to allow for some cars which don't respond t the SG2 requests quite so quickly.

Quote:

I'll never get a good tank because I'm married...

Sigged! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zingaro (Post 406708)
HEllo: I could use an explanation : So the consensus is that pulse and glide with an auto trans is better than pulse and coast ( in neutral) ?

And, if this is true its because of the inertia built up in the TC???

Ive recently adapted the glide into my 12 ram cargo van strategy and im getting some better data... Got some hills here in NC .... z

Do you mean "glide" in gear, e.g. jut lift off enough to maintain speed etc. ? It depends. On steeper descents I can get into overrun mode (DFCO - fuel cut off as the vehicle is turning the engine without fuel being added) and that registers 9999. On shallower descents the car will show 200-600 MPG (depending on speed) but I lose momentum faster.

If you have rolling hills then you can use the terrain - glide down the hills perhaps maintaining a minimum MPG but picking up speed, and then maintain that MPG and allow the speed to "bleed off" on the climb. If you need to maintain a minimum speed then when you slow to that rate maintain it in the highest gear possible. If you can find a big truck (semi) to follow you will probably find the driver is doing this and you can just match them - Vekke did a video on hill climbing and using trucks as a guide here - and the post before that has descending hills. His car is a Lupo 3L which according to Wikipedia has a Tiptronic gearbox - flappy paddle auto - although I think it is a DSG style affair.

zingaro 01-11-2014 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=Arragonis;406710]I think the scan speed is adjustable to allow for some cars which don't respond t the SG2 requests quite so quickly.

Sigged! ;)

Do you mean "glide" in gear, e.g. jut lift off enough to maintain speed etc. ? It depends. .
QUOTE]

yea, id call a "glide" the vehicle is still in gear maintaining a small fuel flow but not cutoff
ID call a "coast" in neutral engine idle.

Ive got much better mpg data with the coast with my 6 spd manual tranny.

With the 6 spd automatic its a bit closer but I still think the "coast" is better although im not sure of the wear and tear on the drive link????

Im new at this but im stayin up ALL nite, so as to catch up !! 【ツ】

Arragonis 01-12-2014 12:04 PM

I think idle for an Auto in N is fine from what I have read here and elsewhere as the engine also pumps transmission oil.

Engine off is a different story as the trans is not lubed. Check the towing instructions. If they say limited speed / distance then you shouldn't coast with the engine off.

I also shift to N on lights, and shut off at standstill on long lights (shift to P).