EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   . (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/a-11385.html)

Winfield1990 12-10-2009 07:58 PM

Christ 12-10-2009 11:01 PM

Carbon Nanotubes are also purportedly stronger than steel in certain configurations, and have been considered as a sort of "space elevator" mechanism, by which objects could be hoisted into space via a machine that would scale a "rope" suspended by a satellite object.

I'll have to find a reference for that, I'm sure.

Christ 12-11-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winfield1990 (Post 146624)
Yes i have read that also , being way stronger than steel while fractions of the weight.

I just wonder if the electrical properties will be that impressive , the same for buckypaper also.

Just about all (if not all) conductors have carbon in them. Carbon is conductive. Maybe pure carbon is a better conductor than something else that is part carbon?

Christ 12-11-2009 01:17 AM

Ever heard the term "carbon based"?

I don't directly correlate transfer efficiency to carbon content, but all things in nature can be dated by their carbon content. All things currently known to be in existence (that I'm aware of) are carbon based.

Christ 12-11-2009 01:32 AM

Rocks and rock formations can be carbon dated. Rocks were living at one point?

Bicycle Bob 12-11-2009 04:02 AM

Carbon dating is just the most famous technique for checking the age of things. It does not have a very long range, geologically speaking.

Winfield, have you considered posting your query to a forum where people would be doing more than guessing?

Christ 12-11-2009 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winfield1990 (Post 146669)
Which is the reason its in the off-topic tech section of the forum , even though it applies to ecomod techonology.

But the topic is about opinions about the technology , so guessing I think is the whole point of this particular thread

I dont like to spread myself around multiple forums either , so I just stick to one forum.

Im just wondering if this technology even is more hype than reality.

When's the last time you read anything about it? I haven't seen anything since it was on TV about a year ago.

Christ 12-11-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 146668)
Carbon dating is just the most famous technique for checking the age of things. It does not have a very long range, geologically speaking.

Winfield, have you considered posting your query to a forum where people would be doing more than guessing?

It can be used up to about 60,000 years, IIRC, before present. "Present", in this case, is considered 1950, as I understand it.

It's often beneficial to understand whether one is actually making guesses, or just being a smart ass.

Christ 12-11-2009 05:30 PM

At the moment, I'm going to say hype. That was the point I was trying to make while being a smart ass. It's a "smoke and mirrors" science for now, because all of 100 people in the world *might* know anything about it, if the technology is anything more than toilet paper with scribbles on it to begin with.

I dunno about the fight, I don't watch fighting since I got out of it years ago.

shovel 12-11-2009 05:58 PM

I've been starting to see carbon nanotubes and carbon "buckyballs" and such as hype, like the flying car. Pretty sure I've been reading little "won't it be cool when.....?" blurbs about these things for at least 20 years. Still don't have any in my hands.

Wake me when they've come to market.