EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Forum News & Feedback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/forum-news-feedback.html)
-   -   Abbreviations list explained.. FAQ idea for the site.. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/abbreviations-list-explained-faq-idea-site-1576.html)

Chris D. 03-27-2008 02:32 PM

Abbreviations aren't user friendly on this site.. need a FAQ or sticky..

I see so many abbreviatons EOC, SG, DWL, P&G, ect..
That I'm certain there are alot of people that are new here scratching their heads.

Its borderline annoying/irritating.. maybe if you break it down like this..
Quote:

Engine Off Coasting (EOC)
that would help..

Its not like abbreviating words is going to net you better wpm :D
It would definatly make the site more user friendly..
For now, its killing this sites user friendly ability..

WaxyChicken 03-27-2008 03:24 PM

I second the motion.

SVOboy 03-27-2008 04:08 PM

We should definitely do it....I have a small one somewhere...If anyone feels like working on it/making a post you can build on this: http://crxmpg.com/feglossary.html

Just make a post and we'll work on it a bit then I'll sticky it for other users to find.

Chris D. 03-28-2008 12:41 AM

Id think it would also be usefull to explain what each
one does and how people use it for Fuel Efficiency (FE)

Chris D. 03-31-2008 11:35 PM

P&G?

Chris D. 04-05-2008 02:35 AM

I'm getting alot of questions from members of CustomTacos that joined ecomodder and their asking me what this or that means..

heres a quote from customtacos.. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco Bowl (Post 1321994)
Ive read about those Scangauges on Ecomodder. Honestly i dont see how they can really help that much. For all i can see is that it figures out ur mpg on the go.

Please correct me on why scangauges can be useful. Its hard to make sense of all the ecomodders abbreviations. For all i know they could be saying mean jokes about my momma.

I schooled him on why the scan guage is good, so thats all set there..

Are there other sites like ecomodder that mite be a little more user friendly?
I'm not getting any explanations of abbreviations and thats really killing the experience of getting any useable information on this site.

Do I need to make seperate posts just to ask what every abbreviation means?

This sort of slight irritation is definatly not swaying me towards paying for a membership, thats for sure..

MetroMPG 04-05-2008 08:25 AM

It's coming.

I'm debating declaring EM an "abbreviation free zone" because, the truth is I hate abbreviations too. I agree they're a barrier to access. But once you pick them up, laziness seems to rule in the quest to save precious keystrokes. Know what I mean? ROTFL etc.

Silveredwings 04-05-2008 09:16 AM

Why not automatically link TLAs (and other acronyms) with a brief hover text definition? Sure there should be a glossary, but this would solve readers' immediate confusion factor, no?

DifferentPointofView 04-05-2008 09:38 AM

P&G is pulse and glide if your asking what that means.

I'm used to abbreviations. In fact I almost abbreviated abbreviate :D" It comes with texting a whole lot on your phone cause your too lazy to dial the number and wait for it to dial, then wait for them to pick up the phone... Just to ask what that food was called.

Abbreviating stuff just seems easier once you get to know it. when you gotta check 3 or more pages of eco-posts it seems a lot easier on the fingers.

MetroMPG 04-05-2008 10:01 AM

I personally detest the hover widget, but it's probably a necessary evil. (We can probably get one that can be turned on/off in user preferences.)

Anyway, for now, see: Glossary of abbreviations, acronyms & initialisms

Also "Glossary" is now a main navigation item. As with much else in life, it's a work in progress; consider it a start. Feel free to add more / make requests in that thread.