EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   AC on the entire time and I got my best MPG average ever?? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ac-entire-time-i-got-my-best-mpg-3256.html)

regor 06-22-2008 09:12 AM

AC on the entire time and I got my best MPG average ever??

As you all probably know, southern California is having lots of heat. I found myself using my AC more and more last week. Normally, I will drive home with my windows up, with no AC or the fan. Like many, I’ve been under the impression that driving with the AC on will drop for MPG, however, this last week, with my AC running the entire 40.5 mile drive home, I’ve averaged by best MPG ever with my same driving habits. Can anyone explain why my MPG did not decrease with the AC blowing?

Thanks

Daox 06-22-2008 09:15 AM

That just means your car is capable of that much better mileage, seriously.

NeilBlanchard 06-22-2008 09:30 AM

Hello,

What it could indicate is that your A/C is more efficient than running with your windows down? Or, that your driving technique is much better now, and your mileage could be even higher if you could run w/o A/C?

Gregte 06-22-2008 10:25 AM

My explanation is that you need to do multiple tests, not knowing how you calculated your MPG.

The AC requires energy input so it cannot increase your mileage. It has to decrease it, all other conditions being the same.

It is very common to get different mileage on two different tank fills even though you think conditions and your driving was the same on each. The fact is, conditions can vary considerably due to a large number of factors beyond our control.

ihatejoefitz 06-22-2008 11:46 AM

I've found over the past few years that if I use air conditioning on the lowest setting, which is plenty cold, the effect it has on mileage is negligible.

cfg83 06-22-2008 01:01 PM

regor -

Maybe it's the effect of the hot dry temps. Now that summer is in full swing, these are the best times for MPG.

It is possible that *without* AC, you would have seen even higher MPG.

I just recorded my all-time best "go home" commute segment last Friday. I attribute it to Hot Dry weather and slower average speed.

CarloSW2

slurp812 06-22-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regor (Post 37172)
As you all probably know, southern California is having lots of heat. I found myself using my AC more and more last week. Normally, I will drive home with my windows up, with no AC or the fan. Like many, I’ve been under the impression that driving with the AC on will drop for MPG, however, this last week, with my AC running the entire 40.5 mile drive home, I’ve averaged by best MPG ever with my same driving habits. Can anyone explain why my MPG did not decrease with the AC blowing?

Thanks

MPG goes up with temps. Apparently yours went up enough to offset the small amount used by running the AC. Maybe you were also driving more? There are many things that effect mileage, as I have learned watching my ScanGauge II.
If you can try and get one of those, you will see!

cfg83 06-22-2008 01:21 PM

slurp812 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by slurp812 (Post 37226)
MPG goes up with temps. Apparently yours went up enough to offset the small amount used by running the AC. Maybe you were also driving more? There are many things that effect mileage, as I have learned watching my ScanGauge II.
If you can try and get one of those, you will see!

That reminds me. Whenever I have a "best run" for one of my trip logs, I save the weather from weather.com. I usually average the weather at the begin/end ZIP codes (a compromise, but I don't have on-board weather station, YET ;) ). This helps me to compare MPG runs better.

CarloSW2

wagonman76 06-22-2008 01:47 PM

Ive wondered about that sometimes. Im sure mine has more mpg available. Reason is I get 32 mpg highway no matter if Ive got the AC on or not, windows down or not, day or night. I just joined up here recently but Ive been driving this same trip for nearly 5 years. I also took a trip to Washington DC a couple years ago and with no stops between tanks I still got 32. I dont exceed the 70 mph freeway speed limit, thats plenty fast enough, I usually go 65-70. The other 70 miles at 55 does not improve mpg. On top of that, my car is not exactly the most aerodynamic thing. Im thinking Ive got enough torque where these things dont make much of a difference and therefore I would benefit from a final drive change.

Jigsaw 06-22-2008 03:06 PM

Regor,
I noticed something similar to you this tank as well. Maybe the air temp.
I had "gratuitous" use of the AC on my return trips on my commute this tank because of the heat here in central california. I was able to break the 50MPG ceiling, I believe, because I was stuck behind a big rig for 30+ miles and was able to get a crazy increase in mpg on my ScanGauge2- somewhere in the mid 80's mpg range! I shot up my overall economy without even trying. Maybe you had a similar situation (of drafting).
The experience really does illustrate how much air resistance robs us of MPG. I never would've believed drafting would yield such an increase in mpg, if I hadn't seen it myself. It's almost like driving downhill! All the while the AC was on- so you can bet I'll be looking for more trucks on my commute.
I have also noticed a bit better MPG driving home in the hotter afternoon, than in the mornings, which lends to the warm air increase hypothesis.