EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Adding acetone? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/adding-acetone-5176.html)

saunders1313 09-20-2008 12:58 PM

Adding acetone?

I've read the posts on here about adding acetone; it seems that there is no one that really agrees if it works or doesn't and for every person that says they've tried it and it works there's no that says it doesn't. I haven't been able to find anything on the internet from a reputable site that says either way. I guess I’d like to know if there is anyone that has data to show that it does work or doesn’t work. Also, is it possible that adding a small amount of acetone for a couple of tanks could have the benefit for cleaning the injectors to some degree? At least to make it worth doing every 6 months or so. I’m just looking for a reason to either start adding acetone to try it, it add it a couple times to clean the injectors, or to forget about it all together.

slurp812 09-20-2008 01:09 PM

Iv tried it, and got nothing, on 2 cars, both good running Honda's...

Red 09-20-2008 02:29 PM

I got no improvement FE wise, but it did smooth out my idle

FastPlastic 09-20-2008 03:16 PM

Could this be something that is vehicle dependent? I've read that some of the Jeep Cherokee's out there get better mileage with higher octane gas depending on which computer it has in it.

I personally use Iso-Heet in every tank. At one point I noticed a big drop in mileage(10.9MPG at lowest). Someone suggested trying some so I did. Noticed a big change after just the first tank. I went back and forth a couple of times and watched the mileage go up and down 1-2MPG's. So I figure it's worth the $1.75 a tank.

slurp812 09-20-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastPlastic (Post 62365)
Could this be something that is vehicle dependent? I've read that some of the Jeep Cherokee's out there get better mileage with higher octane gas depending on which computer it has in it.

I personally use Iso-Heet in every tank. At one point I noticed a big drop in mileage(10.9MPG at lowest). Someone suggested trying some so I did. Noticed a big change after just the first tank. I went back and forth a couple of times and watched the mileage go up and down 1-2MPG's. So I figure it's worth the $1.75 a tank.

I believe it is vehicle dependent also. Iv heard many swear by it.

modmonster 09-23-2008 07:53 PM

i could see it work by leaning out the fuel. acetone contains oxygen atoms. if lean burn works then so would acetone. its the reason biodiesel burns cleaner than diesel.

RacerX 09-23-2008 10:03 PM

This guy believe's in it. I tried it as an additve and "if" I saw an increase it was only 1 (one) mpg.....And it was probably me driving the car slower....Hoping it would help... I still have some laying around and I will put it in my metro....For kicks...Good luck!

http://www.brightgreen.us/free_tips/...itive_info.pdf

ConnClark 09-24-2008 01:42 AM

As a mileage booster its a scam or a placebo at best. It may have some detergent properties but it there are far better detergents for sale that don't degrade or damage rubber and plastic parts in your fuel system.

BlackDeuceCoupe 09-24-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saunders1313 (Post 62340)
I've read the posts on here about adding acetone...

I’m just looking for a reason to either start adding acetone to try it... or to forget about it all together.

I'll let you know how it works out in a couple of weeks!

I'm doing a 'short-fill top-off' experiment right now - topping off my tank every 2 days of driving, blah, blah, blah - then, I'll start the acetone/xylene experiment. I've already got my measuring cups lined up - 33cc & 25 cc, e.g. 1-ounce more or less, respectively.

I'm going to try a mixture of acetone (3 oz.) and xylene (3 oz.) per 10 gallons of gasoline for 1000 miles and see if I can break out of the 41-42 MPG range.

My ride's MPG is V consistent, so the result[s] should be obvious - or not! ;)

Yuri4x4 09-24-2008 03:47 PM

It worked for me in the beginning, but it was probably the 'plecebo effect'... Not long afterward, the fuel pump wnet out on my Jeep. It may or may not have had to do with the acetone, I don't know. But I quit using it anyhow. (and didn't notice a loss of milage)

I do have a friend that still uses it on his Jeep Liberty after 2-3 years, and swears by it. So I don't know.

My opinion is that you can get much better gains just by changing your driving style a tiny bit, and you won't have to worry about melting seals in you fuel system.