Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2020, 03:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

rozy - '09 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Air dam location and height

Hello everyone

I drive a 2012 fiesta zetec se (euro spec) and I have recently joined the forum in order to gain more knowledge

my plans for the car : grill block, a big kammback spoiler, lightweight and narrow tires (done already) and more

now for the topic:

I have already installed (a relatively small) splitter in my car and am now considering the addition of an air dam

mods are made to reduce drag and not lift. but if I can lower both even better

the problem is I cant seem to get "a right answer" when I search for the air dam's possible location
  • a lot of racers seem to favor the "air dam above and after" the splitter meaning the splitter extends below the air dam and in front of the car
  • the wrc car approach is an air dam in front of the splitter
  • and lastly , I recently saw a bluemotion golf notorious for its "extra aero features" and it seemed to have a small air dam below and after (!) a straight area -lets call it a splitter-

when I asked some guys into track racing if I could place the air dam in front and just below of the splitter , just like wrc cars, the response were mainly

"Placing it under the splitter will have a negative effect.
Will cause the airflow under the car to become turbulent and there for slow it down and create lift.
Yes The function of a splitter is to stop air from hitting the bumper and going under the car (therefore reducing the amount of air going under and more over pushing the car down)
But it also serves the purpose of creating a a flat surface which allows air to cleanly flow underneath which speeds the airflow up reducing lift.
Having the splitter protrude down will create a lip with a low pressure zone directly behind it causing turbulence"

and

" putting an air dam below a splitter would be a pointless exercise. to get max low pressure all you need is to speed up the flow. Trying to reduce airflow at the same time will have the effect of reducing the effectiveness of a splitter. Most likely it will cause turbulence under the car and increase pressure thereby creating lift. "

I am so confused. because everyone seems to be correct....to a point

what do you guys think? sorry for the long post and sorry but I cant post photos yet (have them ready however, will upload as soon as I can because I am a new member still)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread