EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Aerohead's going to the wind tunnel! We're passing the hat to help with costs. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aeroheads-going-wind-tunnel-were-passing-hat-help-28791.html)

MetroMPG 04-24-2014 10:04 PM

Aerohead's going to the wind tunnel! We're passing the hat to help with costs.

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1398391582

Phil Knox (Aerohead) is doing something most of us ecomodders only dream about: he's taking his aeromodded vehicle to be tested in a wind tunnel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 420285)
Darko [Technologies Wind Tunnel in Ogden, Utah] has time available the first week in September so I've sent a request for the 5th.

Doug says most teams allow 4-hours for setup, testing, and teardown. I'll shoot for a single run,with smoke and videography for You-Tube. See if I can contain costs a bit.

USFRA World of Speed starts the next day so after Darko I can just head for the curve in the road past the Salt Flats Cafe/Sinclair Station for camping.

Phil doesn't know about this "campaign" (he'll figure it out when he reads this thread, I suppose). But at the good suggestion of another aero-accomplished member, we are passing the hat to help out with costs.

Why? Because of the many excellent members of this community, there are few who have been as generous with sharing their passion and encyclopedic knowledge, not to mention demonstrating uncommon patience with the noobs and the thick-headed (we know who we are).

On top of all that, the occasional zingers he posts are pretty darned funny.

This wind tunnel ain't cheap. $500 an hour.

Phil deserves good karma. So if you think this is a worthy effort, consider the hat passed.

Let's help send the Toyota T-100 to its date with a Cd determination and cool smoke test videos!

UPDATE: final tally as of Sept. 4th:

> Total collected: $1234.12 <

From 35 members. Thanks to everyone who chipped in!

redneck 04-25-2014 07:34 AM

I'll kick in... :thumbup:

Aerohead shares his extensive knowledge for free.

Without it, we would be fumbling around in the dark.

Let me know where I need to send my contribution.

>

MetroMPG 04-25-2014 09:37 AM

Great! That makes four supporters so far (heard from another by private message this AM).

We're going to use the EM PayPal account to collect the donations: sales@ecomodder.com

If you indicate "payment to family or friends" as the payment type it saves fees (if you pay from your PP balance or bank account). Also, send your EcoModder username in the payment comments.

bondo 04-25-2014 10:29 AM

I'm in too!

Thanks Metro for posting this page. I'm in! Will send my contribution to the paypal account. Aerohead is going to be so surprised!

Bondo

rednic79 04-25-2014 10:51 AM

I did what I can for ya.....good luck man!

MetroMPG 04-25-2014 02:34 PM

total updated - check post #1

Donation, received - thanks!

Just a reminder to others who have contacted me privately: you can send your contribution via PayPal.

Check post #1 for details & updated total.

aerohead 04-25-2014 05:41 PM

a thanks is in order

Thanks everyone! I feel like Burt Munro at the salt flats in '67.
And as Sir Anthony Hopkins spoke for Burt,"I'll try and be worthy ."
I turned 62 yesterday and have applied for early retirement which will begin to show up in June.
I mended well from the surgery last September and am gaining strength each day.And am back working.
I've got between now and the end of August to complete whatever I'm going to complete on the truck before I head out.
She should be for the most part 'wrung out' with mods.
I've got quite a bit of foam,glass,and resin for fabricating.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you guys want to come up with a name for the truck? Like "Spirit of EcoModder" or something? Also,if you guys are gonna put some skin in the project,I'd like to have everyone's name on the truck as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
September's a ways off.I'll endeavor to 'finish' her,drive her defensively so she'll be able to make the trip,and keep all the rotating and reciprocating bits rotating and reciprocating.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really do appreciate the gesture.You guys are great!:thumbup:

euromodder 04-25-2014 06:15 PM

I've put in some transatlantic support :thumbup:

Congratulations on your 62nd birthday, Phil :)

MetroMPG 04-25-2014 06:22 PM

Received & noted in the first post. Thanks.

Yes, belated happy b-day, Phil!

user removed 04-25-2014 08:25 PM

I don't use paypal. Is there any other method of contributing?

regards
Mech

MetroMPG 04-25-2014 10:15 PM

Sure. You could send a contribution directly to Tim (Daox) and we'll add it to the total. I'll send you his address in a private message.

user removed 04-25-2014 11:06 PM

Got it, thanks.

regards
Mech

wdb 04-26-2014 10:23 AM

I made a small dent - in the funding, not the truck! ;)

I did not find a way to indicate "donation" that would cause fees to be saved. Maybe you can clarify how to do that for other would-be contributors.

MetroMPG 04-26-2014 12:41 PM

more received - total updated

A bunch more donations received, now up to $285 from 10 members. Nice!

---

Re donation option: thanks for pointing that out. I don't see it in there - I'm sure it used to be an option...

Anyway, if you just choose "I'm sending money to family or friends", there are no fees when paying from your paypal balance or bank account (which everyone has done so far).

gone-ot 04-26-2014 05:34 PM

My contribution is enroute (to Doax) via snail-mail.

Jyden 04-27-2014 04:31 AM

A bit of symbolic support from scandinavia too.

Hope for the results to be given here in good detail?

euromodder 04-27-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 421682)
Re donation option: thanks for pointing that out. I don't see it in there - I'm sure it used to be an option...

Anyway, if you just choose "I'm sending money to family or friends", there are no fees when paying from your paypal balance or bank account (which everyone has done so far).

It depends.

Using the "friends & family" option from a Paypal balance, the fees are less - and probably waived entirely in the US or on transactions without currency conversion.

Using the other option, the fees are passed on to the receiver.

With currency conversion, like EUR -> USD, there were fees regardless of which option I chose.
When paying with a CC, the fees are higher.

But let's not distract from the cause : put Phil's T100 in the Tunnel

JeffD 04-27-2014 10:53 PM

I'm in.
Pretty classy on-line community thing going on here.
Not only the donating, but also Aerohead's gracious acceptance.
I'm glad to be a small part of it.

NachtRitter 04-27-2014 11:24 PM

I'm in too... Have fun Phil, & appreciate your contributions here!

deejaaa 04-27-2014 11:26 PM

gave a few dimes for the cause. glad to support a supporter with support.

BamZipPow 04-28-2014 01:41 AM

Done... ;)

MetroMPG 04-28-2014 10:56 AM

total updated - check post #1

Transnational tally updated!

Daox 04-28-2014 11:34 AM

Woohoo, its adding up quite nicely.

MetroMPG 04-28-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffD (Post 421885)
Pretty classy on-line community thing going on here.
Not only the donating, but also Aerohead's gracious acceptance.
I'm glad to be a small part of it.

Yes, yes and me too. I'm continually impressed by the people around here.

Not to mention the member who suggested this idea in the first place, who asked to remain anonymous.

Vman455 04-28-2014 02:02 PM

I'm in.

aerohead 04-29-2014 05:42 PM

dancing

I'm dancing a little New Zealand jig as did Burt (World's Fastest Indian).
It's very fun to think that we'll have many EcoModder.com members to help sponsor at A2 or Darko in the future.(I can think of a dozen projects you guys have done already that would be nice to get into a tunnel).
An official EcoModder.com 'Race Team' might qualify for access to Lockheed's,Marietta or GM's big tunnel.
Again,thanks to all.:)

MetroMPG 04-30-2014 03:34 PM

Total updated once again!

aerohead 04-30-2014 05:46 PM

reservation locked in

I got Doug Tinney's email today,locking in the afternoon of September 4th.
I'll endeavor to keep focused and get it all done before I get swept up in the emotions of it all.
I don't want to crash on the way as did the SoCal team on there way to the salt flats many decades ago,nor any other 'funny business'.:p

sendler 04-30-2014 06:37 PM

Thanks for your help with all my questions on Kamm truncation. I'm hoping to get my bike streamlined and find a contact to get it into the tunnel at Cornell.

aerohead 04-30-2014 06:48 PM

Cornell

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 422358)
Thanks for your help with all my questions on Kamm truncation. I'm hoping to get my bike streamlined and find a contact to get it into the tunnel at Cornell.

Let us know how it shakes out.It would be a real hoot!:)

Gasoline Fumes 05-01-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 422358)

Let me know if you do, I'd love to come and watch. I didn't even know they had a tunnel.

MetroMPG 05-02-2014 03:43 PM

Total updated for the week, in post #1.

MetroMPG 05-06-2014 10:29 AM

Another update to post #1.

sheepdog 44 05-06-2014 12:14 PM

I've said on multiple occasions how valuable Aeroheads input is here. I'll give what i can.

NachtRitter 05-06-2014 12:18 PM

Awesome! Nearly 2 hours worth!

todayican 05-21-2014 04:49 PM

Im in for 50. Thanks Aerohead for the advice and inspiration.

California98Civic 05-21-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todayican (Post 425552)
Im in for 50. Thanks Aerohead for the advice and inspiration.

I took this as my cue and matched it. Thanks aerohead.

user removed 05-21-2014 05:51 PM

aerohead, I like the "Spirit of Ecomodder" great advertising for the site. Let's see what other think. Made a donation to your efforts and the site, thanks for the time and your vast knowledge which has helped me immensely. If you are ever near eastern Va, consider my home a rest stop, steak dinner included.

regards
Mech

Joggernot 05-22-2014 07:21 AM

Added my money. Post lots of photos and let us know how it goes! Thanks.

MetroMPG 05-24-2014 01:28 PM

Update...

The total is up to $930 from 26 members!