EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Alternator Delete (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/alternator-delete-2232.html)

trikkonceptz 05-08-2008 07:16 PM

Alternator Delete

I know a lot of you have spoken or want to delete your alternators in order to increase FE, but there are many logistical problems associated with that and keeping a system charged.

A while back I came up with something that could help.

How about running an alternator off your drive shaft? (For those that have one). You would mount it under the car or in the interior, with a stretched belt. Now, it would only charge while in motion, but it also would not steal engine power and may be enough to keep vital systems happy.

Or same idea but powering it off one or both of the axles for us FWD vehicles. Now it may sound crazy, but it is not impossible and with a little input you guys could probably be inspired to do something similar that could work.

Have fun with this ...

SVOboy 05-08-2008 07:20 PM

You could always hook the alt up to a turbo and run it downstream on the exhaust, :)

diesel_john 05-08-2008 07:34 PM

SVOBOY thats what i want to do how do I do that. i have an old turbo now how can i make an alternator that will stand 100K RPM?

the Kompressor produces 15 psi hot air. how can this drive an alternator at 15 to 20k RPM?

SVOboy 05-08-2008 07:35 PM

You're need some crazy gearing to do it, I should think, but it ought to be possible. Perhaps a larger turbo downstream so that it wouldn't be moving as fast...I know BMW was experimenting with it several years ago, and if you've got the guts I think it'd be worth the try.

diesel_john 05-08-2008 07:44 PM

What kind of motor uses 15 PSI air to turn at 15,000 RPM?

hey what about a super coupe kompressor to run an alternator?
Does anyone have a SC compressor lying around?

SVOboy 05-08-2008 07:47 PM

You wouldn't need to get up to 15k rpm though? My alt does fine running at 1500-2k. I'm not familiar with vane air motors...linky?

diesel_john 05-08-2008 08:15 PM

I got an old smog(air) pump. but I want to couple it direct no belt. Ok, i was thinking 3 times engine speed is the usual ratio.

guitarterry 05-08-2008 08:40 PM

why not hook a solar panel up to it, then in an emergancy have a generator u could start up.

Johnny Mullet 05-08-2008 09:15 PM

Is it the current from the alternator you are concerned about or the mechanical power it takes to spin it? A simple shut-off switch could take care of the electrical part, but a feasible mechanical disconnect would be more complicated and would outweigh the benefits of hardly a gain in MPG in my opinion.

diesel_john 05-08-2008 09:41 PM

Sorry i kind of hyjacked the thread.
trikkonceptz suggested a possible regen. braking idea for one alternator off an axle.
While I took it a step further to add an other alternator that would use the heat in the exhaust gas and eliminate the belt driven alternator. The axle driven would operate only under braking, while the exhaust driven would operate of course only when the engine is running not during coast.

How do you turn off an alternator that is still turning, that has been a debate in other threads. Will disconnecting the big wire hurt the alternator?