EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   America Was Wrong About Ethanol - Study Shows (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/america-wrong-about-ethanol-study-shows-40038.html)

redneck 03-05-2022 11:22 AM

America Was Wrong About Ethanol - Study Shows

😐

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-yDKeya4SU

Switch grass for the win...

:turtle:

>

freebeard 03-05-2022 12:55 PM

Thnx.

I should watch his next video to see if ethanol is bad for my [Superbeetle's] engine.

The part about soil carbon could be extended to food crops. No-till Permaculture exists.

Isaac Zachary 03-05-2022 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 664124)
Thnx.

I should watch his next video to see if ethanol is bad for my [Superbeetle's] engine.

The part about soil carbon could be extended to food crops. No-till Permaculture exists.

I had problems with hoses rotting with ethanol in mine. From what I understand it's mainly the rubber components that it kills, such as hoses and carburetor o-rings and fuel pump and vacuum advance diaphragms.

freebeard 03-05-2022 03:36 PM

I was being rhetorical. I bought it from folk who'd brought it out of 14 years storage, and I've burned clear premium in it exclusively. It hasn't help the compression on #1, unfortunately.

Quoth DDG:
Quote:

No-Till Switchgrass Looking Possible
https://www.no-tillfarmer.com › articles › 2744-no-till-switchgrass-looking-possible
Switchgrass is one of the most-often mentioned possibilities. Switchgrass is a warm-season perennial that can potentially produce 1,000 gallons of ethanol per acre, compared to 400 gallons for corn. Whether no-tillers could produce switchgrass to capitalize on the demand for the new fuel crop remains an open question.

Planting Method — Switchgrass
switchgrass.okstate.edu › stand-establishment › plantingmethod
No-till establishment of switchgrass may include planting into small grain stubble after graze-out or haying. The small grain should be killed with herbicide to remove competition with the switchgrass seedlings. A herbicide can be applied within a few days of planting switchgrass and should control any weeds, as well as the small grain crop.
IIRC it was Suspicious 0bservers that said climate change is reducing the viability of corn and increasing viability of wheat.

freebeard 03-05-2022 04:58 PM

You could smell the whiskey burnin' down Copperhead Road

Youtube wanted me to see this:

First Turbocharged Car: 1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire | Jay Leno's Garage

Imagine having to mix av-gas into your clear premium to keep your car on the road. And having to home-brew your own Turbo Rocket Fluid[tm]. :)

Piotrsko 03-05-2022 06:00 PM

From what i recall Sunoco selector pumps went to 125 octane for the pricely sum of 50 cents a gallon considering that 80 octane was 14.9/10 and could be had for 11. 9/10 at gas wars.

That 125 might have been repurposed aviation fuel that didn't meet spec

redpoint5 03-05-2022 11:33 PM

Somehow I was unaware ethanol is 100 octane. Also found this claim interesting that blending it with gasoline increases the octane rating. Not sure what ratio is necessary to achieve that.

Quote:

The octane rating (Anti-Knock Index, AKI) of normal unleaded gasoline in the United States is 87. The octane rating of pure ethanol is 100. What's interesting is that when ethanol is blended with gasoline, it performs as if its octane rating is 112, making ethanol a very effective octane booster when used in gasoline.
https://extension.psu.edu/fuel-ethan...in%20gasoline.

oil pan 4 03-06-2022 12:51 AM

Expect there to be a lot less corn to ethanol with fertilizer shortages and high natural gas prices.

wdb 03-06-2022 10:43 AM

Gearheads across the nation rejoice at this news.

Prediction: nothing will change. Big Farma is too well, errr, represented.

Isaac Zachary 03-06-2022 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 664141)
Expect there to be a lot less corn to ethanol with fertilizer shortages and high natural gas prices.

Gasoline seems to be jumping up a few cents every day in my town.

Maybe I need to do something else with my lawn trimmings this summer... I wonder how many acres of grass I'd need to cut (push mower?!) to get a gallon of gasoline.

freebeard 03-06-2022 05:01 PM

Depends.

If it's Panicum_virgatum then:
Quote:

https://farm-energy.extension.org › switchgrass-panicum-virgatum-for-biofuel-production
Each big round bale (Photo 4) represents 50 gallons of ethanol assuming 80 gallons per ton of switchgrass, with a farm gate cost of $0.75/gallon at $60/ton. This research from nearly 50 production environments indicates that growing switchgrass for cellulosic ethanol is economically feasible in the central and northern Great Plains.

Miller88 03-07-2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary (Post 664157)
Gasoline seems to be jumping up a few cents every day in my town.

Maybe I need to do something else with my lawn trimmings this summer... I wonder how many acres of grass I'd need to cut (push mower?!) to get a gallon of gasoline.

It went up 20 cents on Saturday, and another 13 cents again between then and this morning!

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-08-2022 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 664124)
to see if ethanol is bad for my [Superbeetle's] engine

Even though cold starts wouldn't be so easy in a carburettor-fed air-cooled engine while running pure ethanol, it won't really harm the engine. I'd just be concerned about the fuel lines, since some earlier materials may not be so suitable to a high ethanol content, even though so many Beetles and other air-cooled Volkswagens run well with the high ethanol content of Brazilian gasoline, and once in a while I see people claiming an ethanol-powered air-cooled VW as being better than a gasoline-powered one.

Piotrsko 03-09-2022 09:44 AM

If the bug has german cloth covered rubber and the original intake seals, that rubber isn't safe for the modified fuel. Right red colored silicone replacement seals and american fuel lines currently are. You'll need about 5 ft of fuel line as there is a lot of it needing replacement. I ignored the vent lines but they should be replaced also.

Kinda want to avoid the dreaded drivers side vent burn pattern.

aerohead 03-09-2022 10:25 AM

Great Plains

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 664161)
Depends.

If it's Panicum_virgatum then:

If it isn't destroyed by hail or atmospheric rivers.

aerohead 03-09-2022 10:33 AM

MTBE / Ethanol

Does anyone know if the case for 'oxygenated' gasoline was ever made or not?
This was the original premise for the gasoline additives. Something to do with carbon-monoxide, as is the current fear of 'electron-monoxide' ( just kidding ).

Piotrsko 03-09-2022 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 664288)
Does anyone know if the case for 'oxygenated' gasoline was ever made or not?
This was the original premise for the gasoline additives. Something to do with carbon-monoxide, as is the current fear of 'electron-monoxide' ( just kidding ).

Probably wrong, but I thought that was the basis for alcohol added fuel, or at least what was on the fuel pumps stickers back in the '80s

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-10-2022 01:00 AM

Not sure if ethanol is enough to release oxygen and decrease carbon monoxide emissions, but that would most likely be the case for nitromethane.

redneck 03-10-2022 11:18 AM

Difference Between Oxygenated and Non Oxygenated Gasoline

https://www.differencebetween.com/di...ated-gasoline/

What is Oxygenated Gasoline?

Quote:

Oxygenated gasoline is a form of fuel that has ethanol as an additive to increase the oxygen content of the fuel. A compound that we use as an additive to increase the oxygen content is “an oxygenate”. There are other oxygenates other than ethanol such as alcohols like methanol, isopropyl alcohol, etc. and ethers like methyl tert-butyl ether. We add these components to gasoline mainly because it is a cheap way to increase the octane rating – increased octane ratings reduce the knocking effect. However, it is the secondary role of oxygenation, the primary role is reducing the exhaust emissions.

It reduces the emission of carbon monoxide and soot produced during the burning fuel. Moreover, it reduces compounds related to soot such as PAH (polyaromatic hydrocarbons) and nitrated PAH’s. Another importance is that this gasoline does not harm either older or modern vehicle engines.

>

redneck 03-11-2022 09:27 AM

The Pink 🐘 in the room....

https://i.postimg.cc/kM08r1cm/9-A434...5-CA53-B12.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/j2bsc7zG/B3-CFF...939789-E79.gif

Switchgrass produces about 1,900 liters (500 gal.) per acre.

Hemp can produce up to 6,000 liters (1,900 gal.) per acre.

Hemp also produces about 37 gals. of oil per. acre that can be used as fuel.

Not to mention other by products like animal feed stock, industrial fibers, chemicals and over 5,000 other uses that could be utilized from that one plant.

It grows in marginal soil. Regenerates poor soil back to productive soil.

Can be used in crop rotation to reduce herbicide and pesticide use.

Florida and California could harvest as much as 4 crops per year. Other states could harvest a minimal of two crops per season.

For the greenies.

Roots left in the ground sequester 10% of deadly CO2 🙄. Leaves that fall down that are not used sequester another 30% and add Nutrients back to the soil for a total of 40%.

Even the US government knows hemp is a winner compared to corn.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/pub...1ei_1_.pdf?v=0

If it weren’t for corn 🌽 subsidies. Corn would fail. By their own admission.

The reason we use corn is that it is listed as a commodity on the New York exchange.

It is manipulated as needed to empty the pockets of the masses and in turn line the pockets of a few.

:turtle:

>

oil pan 4 03-12-2022 06:41 AM

Hemp, this is the way.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-12-2022 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 664442)
If it weren’t for corn 🌽 subsidies. Corn would fail. By their own admission.

Had hemp seeds been more often used as a staple food, the game would change.

oil pan 4 03-14-2022 02:20 AM

So ethanol makes at least the same, if not more, 24% more co2 than just burning gasoline.
There you go, this is what happens when well intentioned stupid people are allowed to make decisions. You get renewable fuel, that's actually not renewable.

freebeard 03-14-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

this is what happens when well intentioned stupid people are allowed to make decisions.
....so far.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-15-2022 01:23 AM

Even the Brazilian sugarcane-based ethanol relies heavily on Diesel for the agricultural machinery and the logistics, to an extent the late Amaral Gurgel would claim ProÁlcool to be Diesel-powered whenever he had a chance to speak against ethanol.

warrealdez 04-01-2022 11:39 PM

thanks for sharing

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-09-2022 02:36 AM

Recently while talking about fuel quality issues with the owner of a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, whose worst experiences were with premium gas, he told me he had seen even some prestigious imported cars never available as a flexfuel being remapped to enable operating with ethanol, which is actually easier because direct injections eases the cold start.

oil pan 4 05-09-2022 09:09 AM

This administration has doubled down on stupid. Allowing more ethanol, up to 15% in gasoline. I have throughly tested 4 different vehicles on e10 vs e0. The only one that didn't get lower mileage was a gas murdering ford 4.6L powered Lincoln towncar.
The orange one authorized oil refineries to keep producing winter blend where you get more gasoline per barrel of oil and it's cheaper, well into the summer as long as the states would allow it.

redpoint5 05-09-2022 01:41 PM

I don't even know how a technical topic, such as octane and oxygenates in engines falls under the executive branch of the US to weigh in on, let alone dictate?

Perhaps the EPA, DOT, and DOE have an interest and some expertise on the subject, but I don't see why the executive branch does. Do government agencies have to go through executive branches when making recommendations, or can they submit them directly to congress?

Where I'm going with this is that we should always be restraining the authority of a single person (executive branch) as appropriate, to distribute that authority to more people.

freebeard 05-09-2022 01:56 PM

That's Founding Father talk,

JSH 05-09-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 667719)
I don't even know how a technical topic, such as octane and oxygenates in engines falls under the executive branch of the US to weigh in on, let alone dictate?

Perhaps the EPA, DOT, and DOE have an interest and some expertise on the subject, but I don't see why the executive branch does. Do government agencies have to go through executive branches when making recommendations, or can they submit them directly to congress?

Where I'm going with this is that we should always be restraining the authority of a single person (executive branch) as appropriate, to distribute that authority to more people.

The executive branch manages all the agencies which makes the President the equivalent of a CEO.

Congress could write very specific laws that regulate every detail but they don't. Instead they tend to write a broad goal and then leave it to the agencies to write the actual regulations to achieve that goal.

In this case Congress passed Renewable fuel standards in part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005. That law requires the use of renewable fuel to increase from 11.1 billion gallons in 2009 to 36 billion gallons in 2022. It leaves the EPA, Department of Energy, and Department of Agriculture to decide how to make that happen and allows the executive branch to waive the standard if they want.

All you could ever want to know is here:
https://www.epa.gov/renewable-fuel-standard-program

redpoint5 05-09-2022 07:13 PM

So, E15 isn't suggested for technical reasons, but to solve the problem of meeting an arbitrary mandate for 36 billion gallons of "renewable" fuel?

I used to feel so fortunate to live in "modern" times rather than some backwards era, but increasingly I get the feeling that I'm closer to the caveman end of human history than the enlightened end.

Maybe they could achieve the renewables target by decreasing fuel economy, hah!

freebeard 05-09-2022 08:57 PM

Quote:

I get the feeling that I'm closer to the caveman end of human history than the enlightened end.
There are some 'own goals' happening right now that will take decades to sort out. This would be an example.

redpoint5 05-09-2022 11:35 PM

Explain "own goals" in more detail if you care.

freebeard 05-10-2022 12:29 AM

Quote:

Own goal
An own goal, also called self goal, is where a player performs actions that result in them or their team scoring a goal on themselves, often resulting in a point for the opposing team, such as when a soccer player kicks a ball into their own net or goal, awarding the other team a point.Wikipedia
Colloquially, shooting oneself in the foot. Dismantling society in the vain hope of staving off the evolution of liberty.

redpoint5 05-10-2022 01:16 AM

Sounds like the futile effort of deconstructionists to tear down in the name of posthumous justice. Communist experiments can occasionally be run for brief periods of time before reality asserts her will. The creator of the red pill doesn't care which color one chooses to consume, and that choice itself was an illusion.

freebeard 05-10-2022 02:04 AM

An amazing thing happened.

Only in the last few years I learned about an Elvis Presley movie called Follow That Dream.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockolaray
Pop Kwimpel (Arthur O'Connell), son Toby (Elvis Presley) and their ragtag clan of adopted orphans wind up marooned on the side of the road in Florida, so they set up a makeshift home on the beach. Soon, uptight local bureaucrat H. Arthur King (Alan Hewitt) orders them off the land, but the state government doesn't back him up. An enraged King then sets out to get his way, using manipulative social worker Alisha Claypoole (Joanna Moore) as part of his scheme to evict the Kwimpels.

An anarchist tale from 1962. Who knew? Anyway I talked to my brother this evening and he has a dispute with his neighbors over a County right-of-way between them. The neighbor [over-]planted it full of trees and my brother just plans to out-live him and clear them. :)

Now the Antifa crowd in Seattle and Portland haven't read Temporary Autonomous Zones by Hakim Bey, but I have.

I can set up a Pirate Utopia and cede it to my niece when she gets out of lockup.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-10-2022 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 667781)
Sounds like the futile effort of deconstructionists to tear down in the name of posthumous justice.

I see it once in a while in Brazil, even though it happens against the will of the majority. Yet I never saw anybody who actually experienced the evils of Communism to endorse it, sometimes I even see Venezuelan refugees who work at some restaurant arguing with local idiots who claim to be favorable to Nicolás Maduro :turtle:

wdb 06-18-2022 11:20 AM

Another take on ethanol with some interesting twists, especially coming from where it does -- Hagerty is an enthusiast auto insurer.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinio...and-the-planet

JSH 06-18-2022 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdb (Post 669738)
Another take on ethanol with some interesting twists, especially coming from where it does -- Hagerty is an enthusiast auto insurer.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinio...and-the-planet

The only thing in that article I found surprisingly was the last part about EVs being much more efficient than gas cars. Of course they had to add in that EVs have no soul and aren’t fun to drive.

Hagerty is a classic car insurer and write articles targeted at the old and conservative crowd you normally see at a classic car show.