EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   another 4x4 guy (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/another-4x4-guy-1337.html)

tacomajason 03-09-2008 02:07 PM

another 4x4 guy

i come from the same boat as chris d and 95tojo, customtacos.com. just thought i would swing in and see what kind of different driving techniques there are to improve my mpg. i tend to be a little lead footed, and my truck seems to get about the same mpg no matter how i drive it.

SVOboy 03-09-2008 02:08 PM

Welcome to the site! Do you have any FE instrumentation yet?

tacomajason 03-09-2008 02:12 PM

not yet. i have been looking into a scanguageII for a while, but it has been my experience that they aren't very accurate.

Red 03-09-2008 02:52 PM

Welcome to the site. What kind of inaccuracies have you found?

H4MM3R 03-09-2008 03:17 PM

Welcome to the community!

DifferentPointofView 03-09-2008 08:05 PM

Welcome!

Quote:

not yet. i have been looking into a scanguageII for a while, but it has been my experience that they aren't very accurate.
If that's true, then I'd consider getting your truck's computer system checked out, cause the info off of the scangauge is coming directly from your truck. (atleast that's what I've thought)

tacomajason 03-10-2008 10:43 AM

the ecu doesn't figure mileage, the scanguage takes into account fuel gph, miles traveled ect, ect. and i am not talking scanguages in particular, i am talking about cars equipped with gauges that figure such things from the factory. they just seem to vary from what i get using a pen and paper. i have never used a scanguage before, but i just assume they cannot be 100 percent. i know the distance to empty can be waaaaaay off too.

MetroMPG 03-10-2008 11:38 AM

The ScanGauge probably won't be 100% accurate out of the box, but it can be fine-tuned. There are values you can change to offset speed and fuel used (which you adjust at fill-up time).

After a few tanks, you can get it dialled in very accurately.

DifferentPointofView 03-10-2008 11:06 PM

Oh, yea factory ones seem to be wrong a lot... They can say you have 100 miles left on the tank, and next thing you know your out of gas.

Scan gauges though you tune yourself by putting in the amount of gallons your tank has, etc. etc. and you can use them as a speedo if yours ever goes out! too bad it's 96' and up :mad:

tacomajason 03-13-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView (Post 13616)
Oh, yea factory ones seem to be wrong a lot... They can say you have 100 miles left on the tank, and next thing you know your out of gas.

Scan gauges though you tune yourself by putting in the amount of gallons your tank has, etc. etc. and you can use them as a speedo if yours ever goes out! too bad it's 96' and up :mad:

wow i didn't know they were adjustable like that, and given that my truck is only about 6 months old, i sure hope the speedo doesn't go out anytime soon.:thumbup: