Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pooparu - '01 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 28.12 mpg (US)

Cop Car - '94 Chevy Caprice Interceptor 9C1
Last 3: 18.48 mpg (US)

Mini - '11 Mini Cooper
90 day: 37.63 mpg (US)

Gramps - '95 Subaru Legacy Postal
90 day: 23.18 mpg (US)
Lower Air Dam

I have a quick question. Its something I've tried to search, but there are TONS of threads for "lower air dam".

My 94 9C1 Caprice Cop car had a lower air valance that was used to keep turbulent air off the crossmember and front suspension. This air dam was recessed under the car.

I was wondering, would There be any benefits for a air dam further back near the wheels? Or is it more effect to make a lower air dam/valence flush with the bumper?

Has anyone else does this? I'm curious about trying it on my Subaru along with a few other aero mods, but I was wondering if I would be better off with a recessed air damn, for a flush front lip.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
where

Zero,over the years,people have put airdams all over the place.
Typically,it's a matter of ground clearance,the ability to survive parking curbs,driveways,and not hang so low,that they increase frontal area enough to cancel benefits do to additional drag.
The ideal would probably be like what NASCAR is running,but they'd never survive the real world unless they could be raised and lowered according to driving environment,like some of the low-drag concept cars.
Mounting them well ahead of the front tires allows the outer ends to be radiused,wrapping around into the rocker panel area such that air coming off the ends of the airdam is more closely matched to that of the air going down the sides of the car,thus,preventing the creation of drag-producing vortices.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pooparu - '01 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 28.12 mpg (US)

Cop Car - '94 Chevy Caprice Interceptor 9C1
Last 3: 18.48 mpg (US)

Mini - '11 Mini Cooper
90 day: 37.63 mpg (US)

Gramps - '95 Subaru Legacy Postal
90 day: 23.18 mpg (US)
I've done some more digging over the last few days. Thanks for being a member who at least replied Aero!

I've got some ideas going right now. I had off today, but a friend is moving from Pennsylvania to Alabama. That has kinda taken a bit of demand to spend free time with my buddy before he leaves.

Maybe I can get some sketches done up.

I do have a first generation prototype made for some front bumper air deflectors. I'm hoping I can tie in a lower air damn to meet these in the same location in front of the tires.

My current goal for the Subie are as follows:

1) Front bumper grill block, lower eurothane bumper portion does limited value to cooling and has been proving useless by a fellow Outback owner.
2) Side mounted air deflectors to move air off of the front tires. Factory tires stick out past the front bumper. It basically drives front air into the tire tread area. Simple fiberglass machup has been made to move air past the tread and at least partially past sidewall. These don't increase frontal area, but redirect air outward
3) lower air damn. Hoping to make a wide-skinny-wide with a curved radial shape. W-S-W meaning Tall-Short-Tall. I'm looking to deflect air off the undercarrage and off the lower suspension/tires. Again minimizing frontal surface area increase, while deflect air away from areas that make turbulence, while keeping most/all of the ride height (hence skinny in the middle). Hoping to get this sized into and matched with the air deflectors from #2
4) form cone shape aero parts to direct air around factory subaru mirrors. They are monsters on the 2000-2004 Legacy/Outback. Hoping conical shape will provide better air flow around the mirror which is current a round edge, blunt rectangle.

Reply  Post New Thread