EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Anti-MPG Mod. Roof Rack Carrier or Roof Bag Suggestions Needed. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/anti-mpg-mod-roof-rack-carrier-roof-bag-29134.html)

sarguy01 06-02-2014 09:17 AM

Anti-MPG Mod. Roof Rack Carrier or Roof Bag Suggestions Needed.

So, the girls convinced me to go to the SPCA yesterday, "Just to look". Here is what we came home with...
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...pscvdgaohh.jpg

Both of my dogs. She is a 20 lb (for now) Border Collie/Pit Bull mix and he is an 80 lb Boxer/Pit mix.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...psquzjpsus.jpg

Anyone have suggestions for a good roof rack carrier or roof bag for the Mazda5? We frequently drive to NJ (280 miles) and I want something for the roof that is waterproof (or very water resistant). It needs to hold two medium suitcases or duffel bags. We try to travel light, but there is no way both dogs are going to fit in the back with luggage once she is grown. Obviously the carrier/bag will only be up there for trips, but if it has rails, they will probably stay up there. I am not looking to spend $1,000...

Other suggestions are welcome too. No, I am not getting a Suburban!

Joris 06-02-2014 09:34 AM

Maybe a small aeroshaped trailer?

sarguy01 06-02-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joris (Post 427592)
Maybe a small aeroshaped trailer?

It's possible, but I think it would end up costing more. I'd need a hitch. The Mazda isn't rated to tow anything, but I doubt a little trailer would be a big deal.

elhigh 06-02-2014 09:53 AM

Since the Mazda5 isn't intended for any kind of towing, it probably isn't feasible to install a hitch and put an aerodynamically-neutral box in your pressure wake. With that in mind, something along the line of a Thule Hyper is probably going to be the least-bad option.

sarguy01 06-02-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 427594)
Since the Mazda5 isn't intended for any kind of towing, it probably isn't feasible to install a hitch and put an aerodynamically-neutral box in your pressure wake. With that in mind, something along the line of a Thule Hyper is probably going to be the least-bad option.

The Thule Hyper is $911, so probably not happening. But, Thule has a lot of good options.

I am trying to be frugal about this. But, I don't want to be cheap and get something that won't last. So, I'll pay more for something that will last.

Fat Charlie 06-02-2014 10:24 AM

A roof box will probably last a lot longer than a roof bag. It's also a pain to put on and off, not to mention store. We've got a Thule box and it's really nice, but there have to be less pricey choices out there (I wasn't involved in buying it). It lives out back under the deck, sitting on top of our kayak and underneath our canoe.

Go with the smallest frontal profile you can and use duffels.

Fat Charlie 06-02-2014 10:25 AM

BTW, nice score on the puppy. :)

kir_kenix 06-02-2014 10:26 AM

My neighbor has a big plastic tote style locker that he affixed mole skin to the bottom of and uses straps that go inside of the doors/across the ceiling of his Matrix.

He says that he has used his homemade box to travel to California, Texas, and New York from Nebraska on several occasions. It honestly looks like any other car top carrier, and I think it probably cost him about $40 from Walmart. I helped him install it earlier this spring because he had one arm in a sling...couldn't see any damage to his roof from the mole skin rubbing on it.

sarguy01 06-02-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 427602)
BTW, nice score on the puppy. :)

Thanks!

I think she is going to be a great dog. She is very well tempered. She is still getting used to the house, the lawn, us, and my other dog, but doing very well overall.

Both of them are rescue dogs. So it feels good knowing they both got to live and are in a good home. Plus, they make us happy.

Oh, and the big one is a great watch dog. He loves attention, but he is protective.

sarguy01 06-02-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kir_kenix (Post 427603)
My neighbor has a big plastic tote style locker that he affixed mole skin to the bottom of and uses straps that go inside of the doors/across the ceiling of his Matrix.

He says that he has used his homemade box to travel to California, Texas, and New York from Nebraska on several occasions. It honestly looks like any other car top carrier, and I think it probably cost him about $40 from Walmart. I helped him install it earlier this spring because he had one arm in a sling...couldn't see any damage to his roof from the mole skin rubbing on it.

Hmmm...you've got me thinking about some Wally World engineering!

I know I can get the straps with the door hooks, so I can probably come up with something.