EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Forum News & Feedback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/forum-news-feedback.html)
-   -   Antivirus 2009 / "windows-defense.com" redirect & alert popup - resolved. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/antivirus-2009-windows-defense-com-redirect-alert-popup-4054.html)

cmags 07-25-2008 11:44 AM

Antivirus 2009 / "windows-defense.com" redirect & alert popup - resolved.

I'm not sure where to post this so I figured here would be good. Over the past two days, and on two machines, I've been getting this nasty "you've been infected - download our antivirus 2009 software to fix it" popup when accessing the EM forum. Clicking ok, cancel, or X brings me to their website and resizes my browser, etc. All the classic popup nasties. Just wanted you guys to be aware.

SVOboy 07-25-2008 12:33 PM

We've heard this before and it's always turned out to be some sort of spyware on the person's computer/browser, so I'd look out for that were I you. I know we're not running any ad like that.

cmags 07-25-2008 12:39 PM

I would normally agree, but I got this popup on two machines, my home machine which I just formatted last week, and a test machine at work which I've never used for the web before yesterday. :( Is it possible that some type of spyware or something is riding on the back of one of your seemingly legit ads?

SVOboy 07-25-2008 12:42 PM

Well, then I just don't know. I'll wait to see if we can any other reports before I go have the server guy pour over it looking for infection.

cmags 07-25-2008 12:44 PM

Cool, thanks for the acknowledgement. I'll let you know if I come across any more occurrences, and I'll try to grab more info about it if I do.

SVOboy 07-25-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmags (Post 47593)
Cool, thanks for the acknowledgement. I'll let you know if I come across any more occurrences, and I'll try to grab more info about it if I do.

Just PM me in response because I can only check the computer once a day and might miss a thread.

Thanks,
Ben

azraelswrd 07-25-2008 01:05 PM

I haven't seen that or any popups and I've been on EM a lot the last few days, making me think its not this site but something on your end.

SVOboy 07-25-2008 02:00 PM

I got word from another guy, so if anyone else sees it, take a screen shot and I'll email it to our tech guy. Might take a while since I'm on the farm in MO and darin is in a cottage somewhere with 28k webnets, but we'll try our best, :)

azraelswrd 07-25-2008 02:06 PM

Ah, I forgot I paid off the advertising...

SVOboy 07-25-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azraelswrd (Post 47616)
Ah, I forgot I paid off the advertising...

Even so, this isn't any advertising we'd choose to run. If there's something affecting the site it should show up for everyone.