EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   any 50mpg+ luxury cars out there? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/any-50mpg-luxury-cars-out-there-23541.html)

93hatchDX 10-02-2012 10:47 PM

any 50mpg+ luxury cars out there?

I started with a 93 Honda dx that attracted too much attention from.cops and thieves. It would get 40mpg when running but I had the transmission go out twice.

Anyways when I drove the car I didn't realize how bad the car was beating up my body. I got into my stock 99 Monte Carlo and I felt like I was riding on air and in a luxuries car.. I didn't realize that from driving.the stock Honda hatch, my body was sore and beaten from the ride.
Is there such a thing.as a 50mpg+ BMW/Mercedes/etc luxury car out there?

Also. I'm looking at finding.an old 50+MPG VW 4 door model( 5 door I guess if you count the hatch) any good 4 door high MPG cars? I do like the style of the Geo metro, the body style is cool but the nice body is 2 door

ksa8907 10-02-2012 11:02 PM

probably the closest you'll get is a lexus hybrid.

Smurf 10-03-2012 12:10 AM

BMW has a larger sedan out now, V8 I believe, 8-speed automatic with manual shifting. Supposedly low-40s MPG, which is surprising for its size. I only saw it on the American version of Top Gear, and I don't remember the Dewey decimal system model number.

serialk11r 10-03-2012 12:46 AM

BMW cars have rather good gas mileage since their engines are tricked out with state of the art everything. Seeing the EPA ratings on the new F30 328, a 50mpg tank might be possible. Those engines are really something, Valvetronic, piezoelectric direct injectors, twin scroll turbo with electronic wastegate control...the only production technology they *don't* have is variable geometry turbo.

Oelmensch 10-03-2012 01:02 AM

Try one of the 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL models. Perhaps not as plush as a true luxury car like a BMW/Mercedes, but definitely a step up from a nearly two decade old civic. Audi has a couple TDI models too, I think.

seeodywhy 10-03-2012 04:19 AM

A newer civic hybrid will feel like a luxury car compared to your old dx. Maybe an 03 or above. I had an 01 ex and it felt good.

redpoint5 10-03-2012 06:01 AM

If you are going for comfort and good mpg, you won't get much better than a Toyota Camry Hybrid. While not considered a luxury vehicle, it has a plush, boring ride like you describe, and can be optioned out with luxury features. People get low to mid 40s out of it. The 2013 Avalon is basically a luxury Camry and will be offered with the same engine and hybrid system, which implies a similar 40s mpg.

The Audi A3 TDI can get 40, although I have no experience and can't comment on the ride quality.

Lexus has a CT 200h hybrid that is good for 50mpg. Again, I have no comment on the ride quality.

When I was shopping for a car, I wanted good fuel economy (4 cylinder), agile handling, and a decent amount of power. I found the TSX yo be the perfect compromise between all of those things, although the ride is harsh due to the sporty nature.

pete c 10-04-2012 03:38 PM

In the US, the Passat or Jetta TDI is about the closest you'll get to luxury with 50+ mpg. Older benz TDs will get maybe into the mid-high thirties.

mcrews 10-04-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialk11r (Post 331660)
BMW cars have rather good gas mileage since their engines are tricked out with state of the art everything. Seeing the EPA ratings on the new F30 328, a 50mpg tank might be possible. Those engines are really something, Valvetronic, piezoelectric direct injectors, twin scroll turbo with electronic wastegate control...the only production technology they *don't* have is variable geometry turbo.

one of the 3-series has start/stop at lights!

Phantom 10-05-2012 11:43 AM

I would say check out a TDI I love mine worst tank was 42.2 best of 50.9. The ride is smooth now that I have tires that are round (at42psi). I would say the ride is as smooth as driving a bonneville with the air level suspension.