EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Anyone know how to fix oil burning? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/anyone-know-how-fix-oil-burning-19353.html)

RandomFact314 11-01-2011 10:56 PM

Anyone know how to fix oil burning?

My CRX Si has been burning alot of oil though the exhaust, like a quart every 4 days.... My mechanic said that it was the piston rings going bad... Is there anything I can do to fix it without rebuilds or swaps.... Like something under $100 haha

His nephew said I could try Lucus Oil additive that stops leaks or move up to 15w40 oil... What do you guys think?

Patrick 11-01-2011 11:00 PM

Auto-Rx Internal Engine Cleaner

user removed 11-01-2011 11:04 PM

There are tests you can perform to see if the rings are your problem. PCV system, if plugged up could contribute to the problem, considerably in some cases.

Cylinder compression test.
Leak down test, then add some oil to see if the leakage is ring related.

regards
Mech

user removed 11-01-2011 11:05 PM

You could try seafoam.

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 11-01-2011 11:10 PM

If it came on suddenly I'd suspect a bad valve stem seal or a broken piston ring. If it came on over time I'd suspect wear.

redyaris 11-01-2011 11:15 PM

Have a "leak down test" done first then deside on repairs needed

RandomFact314 11-01-2011 11:25 PM

He also put my car on the lift and the oil pan was leaking I suppose at the gasket but he said it probably doesn't amount to even half of the leak/burn. The back of my car IS turning black so I'm pretty sure its coming out the exhaust. Let me Youtube the leak down test and see what it is and ill get back

pana 11-02-2011 01:05 AM

I just starting using Mobil 1 "High Mileage" 10w30. It's supposed to be better for cars with over 75000 miles. It's supposed to condition seals to help prevent leaks. A quart every 4 days sounds like more than just a leaky seal. Let us know what you find out.

some_other_dave 11-02-2011 01:36 AM

How's the compression? If it's low, then you are probably burning oil past the rings.

No real fix for that other than taking the engine apart and replacing the rings (and honing the cylinders, and replacing the bearings, and basically doing an engine rebuild).

-soD

JasonG 11-02-2011 08:49 AM

There is another possibility,

You may have carbon stuck rings.

Pull the spark plugs.
Rotate the engine so no pistons are at TDC
Using a funnel, fill the cylinders with kerosene
Let sit overnight.
Agitate the solution with a block of wood and hammer on the block.
Wiggle the crank a bit.
Refill low cylinders.
Let sit a few more hours.
Pump out kerosene.
Rotate crank, first by hand then by starter to blow kerosene out of bores.
Change oil, letting it drain real good.
Put a teaspoon of Marvel mystery oil in plug holes.
Replace plugs.
Drive for a day or two.
Change oil again.