EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Apexi V-AFC and auto-timer in VX (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/apexi-v-afc-auto-timer-vx-1957.html)

Nden 04-23-2008 06:08 AM

Apexi V-AFC and auto-timer in VX

found this in my closet today. a 1rst gen APexi V-afc meter . Since this can adjust fuel +/- i think 5% i will use it with a BOOMSLANG plug n play wire harness to tweak my fuel consumption. It also sets the vtec point too as i recal.
The 2nd item i have is a unused lil cigar-shaped apexi auto-turbo timer. i think it measures and displays the AFR, along with voltage and 2 other measurements besides letting the engine idle for a pre-set time after removing the key, enabling the oil to cool a lil. not sure if it will do much in the VX i'm reswapping back in,since that has its own built-in-oil coooler from what i recall when i removed it yrs ago. Any tips for using this in my Vx? thanks and appreciate all i'm learning so far!

Nden 04-24-2008 05:24 AM

hmmm ok after looking at the instructions on the lil cigar shaped auto-timer, that only shows theoretical afr, and not accurately. Basically I want an accurate display of the AFR from my VX's 5wire wideband o2 sensor to help use that Apexi VAFC and lean the fuel to save a lil more gas. I've been looking at PLX and Innovate on ebay, but perhaps all I need is just a good display gauge??? any tips would we appreciated.

SVOboy 04-24-2008 10:13 AM

For some reason, I feel like it wouldn't work on the 5-wire, but Iono...

You don't need to buy a wideband sensor, just tap a digital multimeter into the 02 sensor signal line and monitor it that way.

Meph 04-24-2008 10:48 AM

turbo timer allows the turbo to cool and slow down as much a possible, as it is lubricated with oil fromt he engine, cut the engine when its still spinning and the oil goes away, the rotation dosnt. Not much use an N/A cars at all

Compaq888 04-24-2008 10:32 PM

ive actually done some research and a piggy back wont give you such a good gain...but a standalone like a megasquirt or something like it is 3mpg gain on just regular driving compared to the regular stock ecu...

Nden 04-25-2008 03:52 AM

so one of them stand alones like the PLX or Innovate on ebay with the sweet display (ooh gadgets he he) would be more effective in tuning? Hmm ok yeah im gonna add the Vafc just for its minor 8 or 16pts of fuel adjustment. Never heard of megasuirt??

Nden 04-25-2008 03:54 AM

oh look at the pretty lights...(homer voice):p

Compaq888 04-25-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nden (Post 21457)
so one of them stand alones like the PLX or Innovate on ebay with the sweet display (ooh gadgets he he) would be more effective in tuning? Hmm ok yeah im gonna add the Vafc just for its minor 8 or 16pts of fuel adjustment. Never heard of megasuirt??

I'm talking about the standalone like a ecu that's custom tuned to your car. I had a AF display thing it doesn't do anything unless you get one of those wideband ones...i had a narrowband..

Nden 04-26-2008 07:26 AM

well this is for my VX which in stock form uses a wideband 5wire o2 sensor. i think i know what u mean 888, i used to have a cyberdyne LED AF gauge in an old 90 LS Integra -narrow band o2.that was cool to look at when it warmed up lol. I just want a nice accurate digital gauge or LCD display connected to the stock wideband o2 so I can tune the fuel via my APexi Vafc unit and save some gas that way.

Compaq888 04-27-2008 07:38 PM

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=67

this is what i'm talking about...I remember when they just came out..they were $400+

Nden 04-28-2008 07:03 AM

aaah ok sweet. i've seen that one on ebay for $250 approx. the Innovate equivalent seems to run slightly higher at about $279. Though i like the led gauge on the AEM more.

Nden 05-27-2008 03:19 AM

put the apexi na turbo-timer on CRAIG'S list $80 . got my boomslang harness few days ago. Now i need to fiddle with the damn idle- erratic like a mofo tweaker, and gettin CEL 48 (LAF) dang i swear that one i put in only had 3 weeks use on it ! grr. maybe i used too much seafoam in the cylinders, or brake cleaner in the exhaust ports, or it don't like the hi-temp paint on my EX oem headers =(. yikes!