EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   ARTICLE: Anti-Noise activists oppose sounds for electric cars (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/article-anti-noise-activists-oppose-sounds-electric-cars-13650.html)

jkp1187 06-22-2010 06:22 PM

ARTICLE: Anti-Noise activists oppose sounds for electric cars

Anti-Noise Activists Oppose Sounds for Electric Cars - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYT Wheels Blog
“[W]ould sounds emitted from E.V.’s, or electric vehicles, actually help? For Les Blomberg, founder of the nonprofit Noise Pollution Clearinghouse, part of the problem in detecting a vehicle’s approach is what he calls “masking” — too much traffic din makes it hard to hear any individual car, including hybrids and electrics. “Adding sounds does not increase detectability,” he said. “Instead, the solution is to decrease the noise from the worst offenders, which are trucks, buses and motorcycles.”

Arline Bronzaft, the chairwoman of the noise committee for New York City’s GrowNYC, said in a statement that adding noise to E.V.’s “will increase the din in our environment for everyone. This at a time when we have increasing evidence that noise is hazardous to our mental and physical well-being.” She cited the Noise Control Act of 1972 as recognizing citizens’ rights to a quieter environment and also recommends a technological solution involving “special receivers” for the visually impaired.

bgd73 06-22-2010 06:32 PM

so ev needs to make fake noise to identify itself?

like wobbling harleys trying to be manly..

let off electric throttle: big fake jake brake.
on the throttle: many choices. I'd go with old sube in dual speaker setup in the back..

:D

Nevyn 06-22-2010 09:35 PM

At least some people are fighting AGAINST the noises for EVs! Hopefullk the two sides will balance each other out and EVs will be left alone.

Piwoslaw 06-23-2010 01:35 AM

More discussions:

People upset because Nissan Leaf's 'pedestrian warning sound' can be deactivated

ARTICLE: Automakers Reach Agreement on Sound for Electric Cars

Grimm 06-27-2010 01:54 PM

About time someone took our side. Ten years from now I don't want to walk down the street and have it sound like 50 minivans with backup beepers are all pulling out at the same time.

Thymeclock 06-27-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimm (Post 181110)
About time someone took our side. Ten years from now I don't want to walk down the street and have it sound like 50 minivans with backup beepers are all pulling out at the same time.

Believe it or not, I have seen (and heard) vehicles that have an add-on electronic voice module that, when it is in reverse says "this vehicle is backing up!"

<sigh> It is as annoying and pointless as you might imagine it to be.:rolleyes:

Usually these gimmicks are implemented with the intent of diffusing or mitigating legal liability.

bestclimb 06-28-2010 01:58 AM

sounds like too many buzy bodies trying to save the world by inforcing solutions for things that arn't even problems.

azaviator 06-28-2010 02:37 AM

A few months ago I went to the Grand Canyon with my daughter. As I walked back to the car when we were about to leave, I noticed the family parked next to us was congregating at the rear of their minivan. I strapped my daughter in, put the windows down and, as I always do if there is a slight incline, I let the Insight roll back out of the spot without starting the engine. I was keeping my head out the window to make sure none of the kids next to us ran behind me and, as my head passed the rear liftgate of the minivan, I heard the mom say to me, "That's creepy!! You can't even hear it!".

I got a chuckle out of it, but I can kind of understand the other side of the story. As a 'silent' driver, I am very vigilant to be sure I don't sneak up on people. But I would be PISSED if I was REQUIRED to put a noisemaker on my car.

On a side note, my car has an upgraded horn (Honda Element horn = 2x louder or more) and an aftermarket air-horn, for those times when someone needs to know that I'm there. But I CHOSE to put them on, and I CHOOSE when to use them.

dcb 06-28-2010 10:07 AM

I'm on the fence on this one.

I certainly understand not wanting more noise pollution, a genuine concern.

But I see pedestrian safety as a huge concern (i.e. life or death). It isn't their choice when someone blows a light and hits them, even though the walk signal says go. How many times are driver and pedestrian both not paying attention to the right things anyway?

Stuff happens, a bit of noise might keep a kid from running out in the street, whatever.

It isn't a simple thing, driving is a privilege, walking is a right. I think over-simplifying it and mixing in emotional (I want my car the way I want it damnit!!) responses is not going to get to the right answer though. Things could/should be more pedestrian and bike friendly, their rights should not be compromised by the privileged, who will "win" in most any encounter, or at least tie.

I can drive the city without my headlights off and reduce light pollution. So I should be allowed to do so, right?

dcb 06-28-2010 12:20 PM

Neither.

Take for example, choice, pedestrians should be able to choose where they want to walk. There are numerous places I could walk to easily if I used the hiway, but there are signs saying no pedestrians, and barbed wire, etc. The choice has been removed for pedestrians, a real and practical route to the store or a relatives house is gone, due to the fact that cars are "dangerous".

I'm curious, how many people here are willing to stand up for pedestrians right to choose to take the shortest route? What leg do you stand on if you support driver choice yet don't support pedestrian route choice?