EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   Artificial Lawn (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/artificial-lawn-26203.html)

redpoint5 06-21-2013 04:17 PM

Artificial Lawn

My front lawn is small; perhaps only 500 square feet. In Portland there is usually a 2-3 month period where grass dries out and turns brown. My neighbors, however, water their lawns and have nice looking green grass all year.

I can't be bothered to pull out a hose and water my lawn, as small as it may be. So, I got to thinking that I would install an automatic sprinkler system with as few as 3 heads. This would require installing a water line under my cement walkway, and wiring in power to the control module. The reward for all this work; a green lawn that now requires mowing during the dry months.

On top of all this, I have to weed, fertilize, kill moss, dethatch, aerate, and overseed. I'm no slouch when it comes to hard work, but this seems excessive just to have an attractive lawn.

That's when it hit me; Astroturf! I'm thinking of ripping up my front lawn and replacing with synthetic. The front lawn is south-facing, and only decorative as it's not large enough (or flat enough) for activities.

Does anyone have experience and can recommend this? It will be another matter to convince the fiance too. She wants real grass and says she would be happy to mow it. I like mowing and will keep the grass in my larger backyard, which tends to stay green unlike the front yard.

Any recommended brands or materials?

brucey 06-21-2013 04:45 PM

Astroturf still needs maintenance regularly. Consider grass that doesn't grow too tall instead. I know centipede grass is used in a lot of places. Mulch or gravel is also an alternative.

I too hate bothering with the idea of a yard.

redpoint5 06-21-2013 04:54 PM

How regular of maintenance are we talking? I was thinking I'd only have to use the leaf blower on it three times a year and that was it.

brucey 06-21-2013 06:06 PM

A lot more than you would think. Almost as much more as real grass.

XYZ 06-22-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucey (Post 377330)
Astroturf still needs maintenance regularly. Consider grass that doesn't grow too tall instead. I know centipede grass is used in a lot of places. Mulch or gravel is also an alternative.

I too hate bothering with the idea of a yard.

I agree, lawns are a PITA. At one point I almost considered installing green gravel.

Consider installing Zoysia grass. It tolerates drought well and is insect resistant. It's installed as plugs and is probably not cheap, though.

It's not the watering or the reseeding that's time consuming but constant vigilance in applying pesticide and weed killer when needed. Many times when a lawn becomes brown it's not due to lack of water, but also from insect damage, particularly from sod webworms, aka lawn moths. Removing thatch is also a real chore.

I've found that the best way to have a beautiful lawn is to buy all the necessary materials and don't skimp on application. Also timing of application is everything, and that's usually weather related. It's expensive to maintain a lawn and it takes years to rehabilitate it and eliminate existing deficiencies.

Sometimes I think that for all the time and money I've spent on it I might as well throw dollar bills all over it. That's what makes it green... ;)

Flakbadger 06-22-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XYZ (Post 377441)
Sometimes I think that for all the time and money I've spent on it I might as well throw dollar bills all over it. That's what makes it green... ;)

I so friggin' hate the idea of dealing with a lawn. I don't have one at the moment (apartment life), but don't want one when I do get a house, because of the time/money spent on trying to fight nature.

XYZ 06-22-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flakbadger (Post 377442)
I so friggin' hate the idea of dealing with a lawn. I don't have one at the moment (apartment life), but don't want one when I do get a house, because of the time/money spent on trying to fight nature.

No, you aren't fighting nature, you are cultivating nature. It takes time, effort, knowledge, experience and money to grow what is a natural, perennial crop. Farming is a crapshoot. Lawns have all the pitfalls and frustrations that come with growing any other crop.

It may take more money than expected, however... ;)

brucey 06-23-2013 12:10 AM

What is wrong with the idea of a victory garden instead of a grass lawn?

XYZ 06-23-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucey (Post 377471)
What is wrong with the idea of a victory garden instead of a grass lawn?

Nothing, if you live in a rural area.

However, if you live in suburbia, once you harvest your edible crop you will be left with a vacant brown patch where your neighbors have lawns. That's why gardens are usually in back yards and front yards have a lawn, for keeping up appearances in the neighborhood...

redpoint5 06-24-2013 06:01 AM

My location isn't suitable for a garden for reasons pointed out by xyz. Besides, a garden is even more cost and effort, and my whole reason for wanting artificial turf was to reduce effort. It's easier and cheaper to buy produce in the store anyhow. I'll save gardening for retirement unless I follow through on my sailboating the world idea.

From what I've read, artificial lawns require significantly less maintenance. Only occasional sweeping or blowing, and raking is needed.

I might be able to DIY for about $1500, which is sounding better and better to me. The fiance still isn't thrilled by my latest scheme though.