Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
penny pincher

lucky - '92 Toyota pickup plain
90 day: 32.08 mpg (US)
Unhappy Thinking of selling "lucky" toyota

I'm kinda beside myself today, I have this nice truck that gets great mileage, but now it has a loud exhaust leak around the O2 sensor midway back. I goes to look under it, and then I realize that I'll probably need a complete pipe front to back. Also, I still have to beef up the passenger side of the frame. The truck runs great, uses no oil, and just needs a lot of TLC.
I no longer have a welder, or the desire to keep crawling under vehicles any more.
My conundrum is; do I repair what I got, or get rid of two decent efficient vehicles (96 regal)to get one, spankin' new efficient vehicle with a shiny new sticker in the window? It's probably a good bet that there isn't much bargaining for a small car these days, but I'm just so tired of fixin stuff.... BTW, I saw an '89 Metro on a lot today going for $4,000! rusty too!

how it was done...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...html#post25264

as of feb. 09, still holding up great with new owner,
who has since re-geared the rear end and gets nearly 40 MPG!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

First, have some beers, and wait a day or two for that "I am sick of fixing this" feeling that overwhelms you to go away.

Now price out that new pipe. I get all mine from https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/
that way I am sure it is going to fit, and it all bolts in, no welding.
I have gone to all titanium bolts and nuts (with copper anti-seize) in the exhaust systems, so the fasteners NEVER corrode.

Now look at all the costs of that new car: Increased insurance, excise and sales tax, plus the car cost and the interest cost if you are financing.
And you will end up with one car instead of two. Does that mean you have to share a car? What will you do if the new car needs service or breaks down?

I do share your pain, really. Every once in a while I look at a rust spot and have the same feeling. Then I realize that the time and cost in dealing with the rust spot is trivial compared to how long I have to work to make the money (AFTER tax mind you) to get a different car.
A new car will have its own problems.
Add up all the taxes you pay on your income, plus the extra taxes on a new car, and it does change the perspective.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Yep, take a nice walk or just chill for a while, you'll feel better and come to your senses

Reply  Post New Thread