Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Non-vehicular lifestyle adjustments that may help with mileage

I'm new here, but I just had a couple of thoughts.

First, check out:

CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time

and

Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers :: Index

What do these have to do with economy? After reading several posts on here from folks trying to improve the economy of their travel trailer tow vehicles it hit me that I don't worry about a big honking tow vehicle because A) I usually couchsurf when I travel, which also gives me a chance to meet other people and enjoy their local knoweldge as I explore a new area, and B) Even when I don't couchsurf, the teardrop trailer I am building will not only be towable by my 4-cyl Trooper diesel, but probably by almost any other car on the road.

The same is true of my sailboat, which I towed home behind a diesel Rabbit...something I would not have been able to do had I chosen a larger boat.

Thoughts? What other ideas do we have for reducing the need for such large vehicles? Having once had 5 kids (blended family - we drove a diesel Suburban) and worked around youth groups, horses, and dairy farms growing up, I understand that often there is a need for large vehicles, but how can we adjust our lifestyles in order to minimize that need?

Last edited by ai4kk; 01-25-2010 at 02:22 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Create vehicle pools with the neighbors, and always drive the smallest one that can do the job. Forty years ago in India, I noticed that almost nothing moved until it was overloaded.
Always combine trips, and try to live close to everything you visit frequently. Whenever I think about driving somewhere, I ask myself if I would go if it meant digging the garden by hand instead of using a rototiller. If I go, I know that somebody will be out of luck that much sooner. I've driven once since Nov 12, and would not be doing it tomorrow except that the local MDs have all quit. Buying insurance by the day helps a lot.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
the diesels are a great idea, little ones in little cars. The trooper is not all that heavy, I remember being under them at a service garage. They also have a regular gas four cylinder version. Alot of zerks...

another way out is indeed the boxers, they are custom classics more than ever today, but still a way for bigger work, smaller engine.

I am pondering a v8 again, as the net gets alot of chores done that normally require a vehicle. That is a way to drift off this subject..and do not want to.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
Create vehicle pools with the neighbors, and always drive the smallest one that can do the job. Forty years ago in India, I noticed that almost nothing moved until it was overloaded.
Always combine trips, and try to live close to everything you visit frequently. Whenever I think about driving somewhere, I ask myself if I would go if it meant digging the garden by hand instead of using a rototiller. If I go, I know that somebody will be out of luck that much sooner. I've driven once since Nov 12, and would not be doing it tomorrow except that the local MDs have all quit. Buying insurance by the day helps a lot.
I'm not sure we can do this in the US? I'd be interested in any information you might have, including company names, though... just in case.

I have several vehicles that I'm likely to only drive for a few days a year, such as those I fix and sell... it would be nice to drive them legally, for a change.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I'm not sure we can do this in the US? I'd be interested in any information you might have, including company names, though... just in case.

I have several vehicles that I'm likely to only drive for a few days a year, such as those I fix and sell... it would be nice to drive them legally, for a change.

ditto that