EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Automated alternator delete (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/automated-alternator-delete-33625.html)

Ausper 03-28-2016 06:12 PM

Automated alternator delete

I ordered a shifter knob from Daox, very excited for that, and got to thinking, what should I do with the toggle switch. Daox recommended I use if for an alternator delete.

Unfortunately, I drive so much highway, and my stops would not be enough to keep the battery charged. But, I had an idea.

Tap into the power for the fuel injectors. When the deceleration fuel cut off activates, power stop, it also could activate the relay for the alternator delete.

Daschicken 03-28-2016 10:48 PM

Are you suggesting that you turn off the alternator when dfco'ing? I would think that would be the best time to have it ON, since that is the only form of 'regenerative braking' a gas car can do.

Ausper 03-28-2016 10:53 PM

I am suggesting that when the current stops to the injectors, it also stops to a relay that would turn off the alternator delete.

Frank Lee 03-28-2016 11:06 PM

Or you could just use the switch. YOU can account for daytime and projected usage pattern for the trip which if automated may not.

planejob 03-28-2016 11:23 PM

So I saw your post title and thought, "Damn, that's a great idea", then I opened up the thread and it went a totally different direction than I was thinking.

Why not just have a Raspberry Pi or arduino or other micro-controller/micro-computer monitor a few inputs (Battery voltage, draw, throttle position) and have it throw a relay to cut your alternator in and out when it meets the prescribed variables?

Frank Lee 03-28-2016 11:37 PM

Wouldn't the goal be to arrive home- or at a place to charge up- needing a wall-power charge? Otherwise the existing voltage regulator more or less does the job, unless you have a car with a "smart" regulator which does a bit of regen charging.

serialk11r 03-30-2016 04:51 AM

I think better than an alternator "delete" would be an alternator cutout switch attached to the throttle that activates when you press the pedal past some point. The higher the load, the less efficiency you gain from adding load. If the engine happens to be idling or DFCOing, you might as well charge the battery. This is how the new BMWs and Mazdas work. You probably want a manual switch anyways to charge the battery if you haven't charged it in a while and don't want to be stranded.

Daox 03-30-2016 09:13 AM

I like the idea of using an arduino, but then I asked myself, when else do I want to charge the battery? Almost never. Possibly a manual override would be nice, but the DFCO thing handles almost all the regen situations you would want.

serialk11r 03-31-2016 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 510169)
I like the idea of using an arduino, but then I asked myself, when else do I want to charge the battery? Almost never. Possibly a manual override would be nice, but the DFCO thing handles almost all the regen situations you would want.

I think a switch that triggers on throttle-off is the best way to do it, that way you don't need to detect if the injectors are off, just screw a 1 dollar switch near the gas pedal and it's good to go. Foot off the throttle = either DFCO, slowing down in gear at low speed, or idle, which are all good times to charge.

teoman 02-03-2018 05:18 PM

How does one determine if they already have a smart alternator?

Monitor the voltage from the cigarette lighter?