EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer (https://ecomodder.com/forum/opengauge-mpguino-fe-computer.html)
-   -   basic questions about prebuilt MPGuino (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/basic-questions-about-prebuilt-mpguino-13500.html)

usergone 06-07-2010 08:04 PM

basic questions about prebuilt MPGuino

I plan to buy a prebuilt MPGuino, but have found myself procrastinating on my purchase because I realize that I have no idea where I would begin to handle fixing the code. Would I even need to play with the code, or is it ready to go as soon as I hook it in and set the VSS and injector paramaters?

I guess this would be a good opportunity for a succinct abstract over the prebuilt. If I have missed it, sorry. Could you point me in the right direction?

What I want to think (but have doubts about) is that I just tap into the injector lead, get a VSS signal, calibrate the params (from within the MPGuino), and enjoy the feedback.

Also, how long is the usual handling time?

mobythevan 06-08-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

What I want to think (but have doubts about) is that I just tap into the injector lead, get a VSS signal, calibrate the params (from within the MPGuino), and enjoy the feedback.
You are correct. I ordered mine, got it quickly and then installed by connecting power, ground, vss and injector. Set parameters based on other people with the same car and started refining my driving techniques. I had reset/freezing problems with the original place I got the power connection, so I connected power through a fuse to the battery and have had no more problems.

dcb 06-08-2010 12:09 PM

re: programming, it is a complicated :) A lot of folks get their feet wet with an arduino or clone, but the latest source code is completely divorced from arduino, and the prebuilt hardware is not arduino. The prebuilt has a faster crystal (20mhz vs 16), only supports the atmega328 currently, no bootloader, no onboard serial or usb circuitry, pins dedicated to LCD/buttons/sensors.

For the prebuilt, and atmegas in general, avrfreaks.net is probably a better source of info.

FYI, I'm using avrgcc to compile and avrdude to load the chip and fuses, with an isp programmer, and a homemade clip-on programming adapter.

usergone 06-08-2010 03:09 PM

Thanks guys. My main concern is that I have no apparatus to get into the code, not to mention that I haven't had my feet wet with code, really. I had a comp sci class, and we went mostly over Java, but that was too long ago to do me any good :)

usergone 06-08-2010 10:40 PM

With the prebuilt, will I have to worry about corrupting the data with the power being unplugged?

dcb 06-08-2010 11:09 PM

If unplugged, the vehicle settings will stay, but the tank trip will reset.

usergone 06-09-2010 09:23 AM

I meant if the power was disconnected and reconnected within 20 seconds. Is that just the arduino?

dcb 06-09-2010 09:42 AM

oh, well I haven't seen a prebuilt erase itself in a long time, we've been making tweaks to keep that from happening (i.e. no bootloader, no self programming at all, bigger caps, rearranging the power circuits to keep the brain alive longer, etc. But of course that doesn't mean it won't ever happen to the prebuilt. I have done things like connect the mpguino power through a big file and drag the conductors along it (insanely erratic power), and it still had the right programming. But solid power is still probably good thing.

My arduino based version forgot its programming several times when the power was flakey, but this isn't conclusive, but reason enough for me to not retain arduino-ness.

usergone 06-09-2010 01:00 PM

Thanks. I'm looking forward to its arrival

DCB, I PM'd you

AeroModder 06-09-2010 04:24 PM

I also have a couple questions about the prebuild. Does it come with any casing, or is it a bare chipset?

Also, would the VSS be the wire coming into the speedometer, and would any injector wire work?