EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Basjoos in Top Gear Magazine.... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/basjoos-top-gear-magazine-10279.html)

Fr3AkAzOiD 09-21-2009 03:04 PM

Basjoos in Top Gear Magazine....

Basjoos in Top Gear Magazine......ish.

He is not mentioned by name and no quotes from him but in the October 2009 issue (page 121) they show 3 pics of his Aerocivic (they don't call it that either).

It was an article where The Stig beats up on a gen 3 Prius and an Insight (new one), taking them for jumps and stuff. There is a little side article bashing hypermilers with the 3 pics of his Aerocivic.

Was just wondering if he gave permission for his pics to be used?

Will see if I can get a scan of it up on the forums but I think my wifes scanner is dead.

Edit: Scanner is dead so had to take a pic instead.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/798...basjoos.th.jpg

pgfpro 09-21-2009 04:01 PM

WOW!!! That pisses me off!!!

You would think, they of all people would be thinking about the future of oil and the lack of it?

But they are always bashing Hybrids and anything to do with FE.

I guess in their defense the "Super Cars" manufactors are what pays their bills.:rolleyes:

basjoos 09-21-2009 05:19 PM

I didn't give permission, they must have pulled them off a site on the internet where those photos were posted. Interesting that they are ridiculing my car along with hypermiling, since my car is a high speed fuel saver and I thought they were into speed. I built it deliberately so I wouldn't have to go slow to get good mileage and could travel at normal highway speeds with good FE. You won't find me driving 38mph in the slow lane with the geezers.

aerohead 09-21-2009 06:08 PM

high speed

Quote:

Originally Posted by basjoos (Post 128982)
I didn't give permission, they must have pulled them off a site on the internet where those photos were posted. Interesting that they are ridiculing my car along with hypermiling, since my car is a high speed fuel saver and I thought they were into speed. I built it deliberately so I wouldn't have to go slow to get good mileage and could travel at normal highway speeds with good FE. You won't find me driving 38mph in the slow lane with the geezers.

Mike,I know you're a lot further east of Bonneville than me,but have you ever considered running the Honda there? USFRA has a 130-mph Club for "street" cars.They require a Snell 2,000 or better helmet,a 5-pound fire extinguisher,metal valve caps and 40-psi in the tires.Membership in USFRA is $40 and there is a tech inspection,and also each driver must perform a 100-mph handling run to test speedometer calibration.You would need H-rated tires.You can run up to 139 mph and get a time slip accurate to 1/1000-mph from SCTA.--------- I think the AEROCIVIC would blow their minds and visitors would get a strong dose of what drag reduction can achieve.-------------- I plan to run next year in the T-100 and see about running with the trailer also,something I don't think has been done before.
I don't think the general public makes the "performance" connection with aero.This is one venue where it can be taken to the extreme in as safe as an environment as is possible.Please consider it.Top speed remains as a strong engineering criteria for design efficiency.When people realize that "Salt" technology works also on the "Street" we open many doors to near term possibilities and expectations in transportation.------------- The CIVIC remains an inspiration,thanks for all you do,Phil.

tasdrouille 09-21-2009 06:14 PM

Whatever...

Even if you explain it, they still don't get it. There's no bound to the stupidity of some media. Darwinism should hopefully take care of these people...eventually. Fortunately, there are still a few out there interested by actual journalism, not just sensationalism.

stevet47 09-21-2009 07:25 PM

I'd try and get some compensation from their use of those pics without permission. They can't take pics off the internet and publish them without the owners permission.
Media is copyrighted whether it is directly expressed or not, and even with the "fair use" law or whatever, they still need to get permission.

roflwaffle 09-21-2009 08:04 PM

Does anyone else get the vibe that Top Gear doesn't get much about physics?

Fr3AkAzOiD 09-21-2009 08:55 PM

If you get any compensationg can I get a finders fee?
Got a baby on the way and going to be dead broke.

Sucks that they stole the pics and took lame pot shots.
Glad I could bring it to everyones attention though.

gascort 09-21-2009 09:39 PM

"how often do you use your brakes when they're not necessary anyway?"
The answer for most people is: At least 50% of the time, even with pretty normal driving!

And I don't know anyone who rides the center line... outside line? Yes.

The rest of their arguments were ok, but those were completely unfounded.

It would have been nice if they'd checked out Mike's driving style and his mpg at different speeds.

jmf 09-21-2009 10:37 PM

I want to be able to coast uphill in neutral like they said.

I haven't changed my car, I just try not to drive stupid.