EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Battery replacement? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/battery-replacement-36233.html)

19bonestock88 03-09-2018 12:11 PM

Battery replacement?

So due to my use of P&G after dark, my battery is starting to not work right... I had to set aside(not track) a tank of fuel to charge the battery so I can reliably start again(tired of pushing the blasted thing)... any good info on possible LiFePO4 replacement? Or should I just get a deep cycle (wet lead acid) of the right size and call it good?

19bonestock88 03-09-2018 12:13 PM

It doesn’t help that all my lights are still incandescent and I use the radio at a good loud volume... aside from giving up radio or coasting with switch in ACC only(until right before I restart) I don’t know what to do short term...

Frank Lee 03-09-2018 12:18 PM

You don't trickle charge or charge when you get home?

oil pan 4 03-09-2018 12:19 PM

Unless you are going to relocate the battery away from the hot engine compartment, don't even think about LiFePO4.

19bonestock88 03-09-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 563214)
You don't trickle charge or charge when you get home?

No charger with which to do so, and no outdoor receptacles to plug into anyway

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 563215)
Unless you are going to relocate the battery away from the hot engine compartment, don't even think about LiFePO4.

Stock battery location is in the spare tire well, sooo...

redpoint5 03-09-2018 01:14 PM

I like this one:

LiFePO4 Prismatic Battery: 12.8V 20Ah (256Wh, 10C rate) (24.0) - UN38.3 Passed (DGR)

Keep in mind it isn't to be charged when below freezing, so hopefully locating it inside the cabin will prevent that situation.

Radio shouldn't matter much, but you should replace your lights with LED. Don't bother with the blinkers though.

If you buy from batteryspace, there are usually 10% off codes that should at least cover shipping.

Keep in mind this battery likely has half the capacity of your pb battery when it was new. It can handle deeper discharging on a regular basis, but doesn't like very deep discharging.

mazdamx640 03-09-2018 01:26 PM

I would upgrade the blinkers too if your car uses the blinkers as driving lights. As far as lithium batteries I highly recommend them in the warmer weather. During the summer I run a lithium motorcycle battery that I got off Amazon for $100 it only weighs 2 lbs and has no problem starting my car I would even say it cranks over faster than the standard battery but it doesn't have much reserve capacity

19bonestock88 03-09-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 563218)
I like this one:

LiFePO4 Prismatic Battery: 12.8V 20Ah (256Wh, 10C rate) (24.0) - UN38.3 Passed (DGR)

Keep in mind it isn't to be charged when below freezing, so hopefully locating it inside the cabin will prevent that situation.

Radio shouldn't matter much, but you should replace your lights with LED. Don't bother with the blinkers though.

If you buy from batteryspace, there are usually 10% off codes that should at least cover shipping.

Keep in mind this battery likely has half the capacity of your pb battery when it was new. It can handle deeper discharging on a regular basis, but doesn't like very deep discharging.

Can’t charge it below freezing? That won’t work, as I park outside and my cabin can remain below freezing several minutes into my commutes... I do wanna go LED for my lights and a switchback led for my front turn signal/ DRL... trying to find a decent LED 9007 bulb, as projectors are a little too rich for my blood at the moment

Gasoline Fumes 03-09-2018 01:54 PM

You need to charge the battery more (alternator or grid) or reduce electrical draw. No battery will give you more power than you put into it.

Frank Lee 03-09-2018 04:00 PM

Easy test is no radio then see if situation improves.