EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Been Hypermilling, now I want to see what else I can do (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/been-hypermilling-now-i-want-see-what-else-25363.html)

mattsk1 03-27-2013 12:55 AM

Been Hypermilling, now I want to see what else I can do

I purchased a 2010 Mazda 3 i Sport with a 5-speed two years ago brand new off the lot. I drove aggressively with it up until I got tired of getting pulled over for speeding. I slowed down on the interstate from 80mph to 60mph and tried to keep my RPM at 2k on Street travel, pressing on the gas lightly. I also lightened up my car of all clutter which helped. I was sold when I went on a road trip to Desitin Beach, Fl and drove 55mph most of the way and exceeded 400 miles before my low fuel light triped. This was inconceivable prior to that.

I have been using Synthetic Oil since the second oil change. I also changed out the air filter with a K/N air filter.

I had done this before I slowed down.
I discovered ecomodder because I was curious about other ways to save on fuel. I found out I was hypermilling to a degree already. I have been looking at the 65 mods listed on ecomoder for a couple weeks. I selected all the most ideal mods that I could perform with my current skill level at fabrication and mechanics.

The most feasible mod was getting the Scangage II, which I just went through the second calibration and now I am getting much more realistic averages in gas mileage. I increased my tire pressure to 40psi. I ordered Moon Caps.

I am also planning on installing Wheel Skirts. I did not see deleting side mirrors as being feasible due verifying that I would be driving through states that require them. I have parts for a generic hot air intake which I am uncertain if it will help or hinder, but I can not verify with my scangage. I do plan on getting low rolling resistance tires the next time I need tires. That is about the extent of what I will be doing to my car if anything else. I am certain after the Wheel Skirts I will be more confident to do other projects.

mcrews 03-27-2013 06:44 AM

welcome!
you are welll along the path to muuch better mpgs!!!
the kn filter has no effect on mpg. several threads on that.
the warm air/cold air discussion seems to be on a case by case basis. you can search to see if someone has done a njewer mazda.

But you discovered the 'secret'!! adjust the 'nut' behind the wheel!

Daox 03-27-2013 12:17 PM

Welcome to the site.

The only other thing I'd highly suggest is a grill block. Use the scangauge to find out just how much you can block off without having any issues.

mattsk1 03-27-2013 10:29 PM

I set up my Scan Guage to read Average MPG, Throttle Position, Coolant Temp, and Fuel Flow. I did that because I wanted to the most applicable information to use to drive more efficiently. Still waiting on my Moon Caps. Started a log book for my gas fill ups yesterday since I had just filled up. I am also intersted in installing a block heater in soon. I might be moving to Cedar Rapids, IA for work, and the Grill Block and Block Heater will be very usefull their. Hotanta, where I live now, not so much.

mattsk1 03-28-2013 08:08 PM

I have given consideration over the validity of my planning for modifications on my car. Moon Caps and Wheel Skirts will be my main focus. I am gathering from the data from other modders that that the combination of those two should give me an improvement of 1-1.5mpg.

I have concerns over the Grill Block. Most of the airflow appears to be at the lower portion of the Grill Block with one large section and two sections on the side. I have a very narrow upper Grill. My last car blew head gaskets because of overheating for other reasons and I am a bit weary on such matters. In the planning stages, do you use temporary measures such as cardboard and duct tape on partial sections to determine if the engine is sufficiently cooled without the need for the fan?

Frank Lee 03-28-2013 09:16 PM

If you're too tired for testing it's safest to skip it.

mattsk1 03-28-2013 10:05 PM

I have not made any major modifications to my car as of yet. I have just been focusing on refining my hyper milling technique. I have a 3-4 projects in mind. Moon caps are my first project. Once that is taken care off I will start my second project of the Wheel Skirts. Once I have completed the first two I will look into testing and implementing Grill Blocks. If I get all three accomplished, the only other major project would be the under belly, which I most likely won't do, because lack of access to a car lift.

mattsk1 03-30-2013 07:46 AM

Moon Caps!!!

I installed my Moon Caps this morning! 1st Mod Completed! I ordered a Panoramic Mirror and two concave indoor side mirrors. Once I get used to them I will fold both my side mirrors. On my car the side mirrors can fold back about 60 degrees back. Better than not at all! I will start planning how to delete my passenger side mirror providing I feel sufficiently safe with the additional mirrors.

Frank Lee 03-30-2013 08:24 AM

You're not going to see much with concave mirrors!

mattsk1 03-31-2013 01:54 AM

I was not expecting much from Moon Caps. They were heavy weighing 11lb for all 4. Maybe a .5 mpg gain. I will conduct an ABA test on it to confirm if it made an effect and post my results. Still need more time for my Scan Guage to get more accurate. I performed my 2nd calibration after my last fillip. When the error of fuel consumption is +/- 0.1% error on determining how much gas was used compared to how much I put in, I will conduct the test. I should have more consistent readings from tank to tank.

I am only planning on doing a few things that give my 2-4mpg improvement combined and refining my hypermilling. Nothing drastic like installing a smaller engine, lowering and chopping the top, putting a boat tail, an taking extreme measures of reducing the weight of my car.