EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Been lurking, finally biting the bullet! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/been-lurking-finally-biting-bullet-23417.html)

nbleak21 09-22-2012 11:08 PM

Been lurking, finally biting the bullet!

I've been lurking the ecomodder forum on and off for a while now, utilizing some of the driving techniques and admiring some of the work done in order to crank out the MPG's!

I've recently shifted from a 7mi daily commute (3.5mi each way) to over a 240mi daily commute... needless to say, I've parked the truck, and have been logging 1200mi per week on the Acura instead.

currently the Acura has antenna delete, suspension dropped (lowering struts/springs) but nothing else. I've been monitoring the fuel consumption via the BHP Torque app (with bluetooth obd2 transmitter) and have had an LTA of 29.9mpg varying from 26.6-34.2mpg per tank depending on driving conditions and driver habits. Ideally I'd like to get that number over 40mpg for my commute.

future mods in store:
full (removable) grill blocks
LRR tires
rear belly pan
weight reduction (pass seat, rear seats etc)
smooth wheel covers
tire spats
rear wheel skirts
manual vtec over-ride
more stringent driving techniques

any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll be starting tomorrow by doing the grill blocks!

ron 09-22-2012 11:41 PM

Im going to see this week end how smooth wheel covers work on my 99dodge ctd I will also have a grill block. good luck on your MODS

California98Civic 09-22-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbleak21 (Post 329586)
I've been lurking the ecomodder forum on and off for a while now, utilizing some of the driving techniques and admiring some of the work done in order to crank out the MPG's!

Welcome!

Quote:

I've recently shifted from a 7mi daily commute (3.5mi each way) to over a 240mi daily commute... needless to say, I've parked the truck, and have been logging 1200mi per week on the Acura instead.

OMG! I did this once, but mine was only 200 miles. Is there any way you can find a place to crash one or two nights a week closer to work? Save $20 in gas alone--without factoring miles--and so much less hassle.

Quote:

currently the Acura has antenna delete, suspension dropped (lowering struts/springs) but nothing else. I've been monitoring the fuel consumption via the BHP Torque app (with bluetooth obd2 transmitter) and have had an LTA of 29.9mpg varying from 26.6-34.2mpg per tank depending on driving conditions and driver habits. Ideally I'd like to get that number over 40mpg for my commute.

future mods in store:
full (removable) grill blocks
LRR tires
rear belly pan
weight reduction (pass seat, rear seats etc)
smooth wheel covers
tire spats
rear wheel skirts
manual vtec over-ride
more stringent driving techniques

any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll be starting tomorrow by doing the grill blocks!

The grill block and the driving techniques are the best bangs for the buck on this list. Boost your tire pressure. Mine are at 58psi right now, though you'll have to judge safety and ride quality for yourself. The least helpful idea on your list--given your highway conditions--will be the weight reduction. I took a lot of weight off my car, like seats, but if you are not doing pulse and glide but are just at steady-cruise on the freeway, the weight reduction is much less meaningful. LRR tires could be cool, but what are your current tires like? If they are older and not super sticky, they might be quite good, compared to new LRRs.

Why vtec override? If you drive mellow, shouldn't it be possible to keep the vtec from engaging?

Daox 09-23-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Seriously, find a place closer to work or find a new job. 240 miles a day is ridiculous. That is 4+ hours of your life every day sitting in a freakin car vs enjoying life. That is also $34 a day in gas (at $4/gal) with you getting the 28 mpg in your acura. That is over ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH IN GAS!

I went the opposite way, but not quite as long a commute. I had only a 45 mile daily commute and now I"m down to a 14 mile commute and I gained an hour of my life back every day and would never go back. I even had the opportunity to go back with a substantial raise and wouldn't do it. I'm much happier with my short commute and actually having a life.

scivicblu83 09-23-2012 01:42 PM

welcome! if you do keep commuting, buy a highway honda; crx hf or civic vx type of thing, my two cents.:thumbup:

bkmc24 09-23-2012 01:52 PM

You might do well looking into a diff F series trans to swap into for longer gearing. CL's if I remember right were supposed to be "sporty" compared to the accord. I have had 2 of them. Decent cars but slow as dirt (4cyl) and terrible auto trans (3.0)

nbleak21 09-23-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron
Im going to see this week end how smooth wheel covers work on my 99dodge ctd I will also have a grill block. good luck on your MODS

Thanks, look forward to hearing the results!

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 329592)
Is there any way you can find a place to crash one or two nights a week closer to work?

Yes, there is a place where I may end up crashing a night or two during the week, but my lovely girlfriend and I have recently moved into a new place together, and have a lot going on with getting the homefront squared away. the commute is only temporary (Dec or Jun at the latest), so no long term arrangements need to be made.

Quote:

The grill block and the driving techniques are the best bangs for the buck on this list.
Glad to hear, as those will be my first adaptations.

Quote:

LRR tires could be cool, but what are your current tires like?
current tires are oversized (215/60's vs stock 205/55's) high performance summer tires (IE wide & sticky) and also have a rated max sidewall pressure of 36, i am running 32psi at present, but will likely inflate them to max as well.

Quote:

Why vtec override? If you drive mellow, shouldn't it be possible to keep the vtec from engaging?
Honda's F22b1 VTEC is derived more for fuel efficiency then power, and kicks in between 2600-3200 rpms (right at highway speed rpms) I want to derive a manual override more for curiosity's sake then anything else, seeing whether it helps or hurts FE being controlled one way or another.

JRMichler 09-23-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbleak21 (Post 329700)
I want to derive a manual override more for curiosity's sake then anything else, seeing whether it helps or hurts FE being controlled one way or another.

Now THAT is a true ecomodder speaking. Provided, of course, that you tell us how you did it, how it drives, and the effect on gas mileage.

nbleak21 09-24-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMichler (Post 329709)
Now THAT is a true ecomodder speaking. Provided, of course, that you tell us how you did it, how it drives, and the effect on gas mileage.

But of course!!!

As for the grill block, it was/ is my intention to use 4 segments of coroplast attached via industrial velcro w sticky back, but i ended up using a $4 roll of black duct tape to get some preliminary results before spending $30-40 on the coroplast stuff. I should be done with those findings tmr.

The first 120 miles ive noted a 10-15 degree increase in coolant temps at 205-210f vs 190-195f without. (Still in safe operating range) but with a minimal increase with intake temp running at 85-89f as opposed to 83-87 on similar cool mornings.

I'll post back this eve or tomorrow after i see how the CLaero handles the afternoon temps with the full block.

MetroMPG 09-24-2012 11:15 AM

240 mi/day is extremely unfortunate. Time and money down the drain!

I'd strongly recommend spending your time sorting out your work/life arrangement rather than spending time on the car!

The True Cost of Commuting | Mr. Money Mustache

nbleak21 09-25-2012 06:50 AM

Yes, making arrangements would be ideal but it's an uncle sam kind of thing... I don't have much say in where they station me.

California98Civic 09-25-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbleak21 (Post 330018)
Yes, making arrangements would be ideal but it's an uncle sam kind of thing... I don't have much say in where they station me.

I wondered if it would turn-out to be something like that. Hang in there. I kinda enjoyed my 200-mile commute for a while. It was only for a few months too (a temporary job I had and NEEDED at the time). Some good music, something to eat with me in the car, and doing the drive in the off peak commuter hours to be able to relax, and making a game out of trying to get the best fuel economy possible made the experience tolerable. You're in a pretty good position, maybe, to see how mods effect your FE (roughly) on a day-by-day basis. Won't be scientifically precise but will be suggestive if make 30% gains over EPA at steady cruise driving along the same stretch of freeway day-in, day-out.

Good luck!

ron 09-25-2012 09:13 AM

nBleak21, I understand the problem , check with Billiting dept on your post,it maybe that they could use a strong back for 1,2,3,hr a day in exchange for a room , my post here has a small campground with overflow space for trailers no hookups 10bucks a night, buy a cheep trailer, check on working a modified schedule for a longer weekend.

nbleak21 09-25-2012 10:41 AM

I'm stationed at an FMS shop about 30min away from the nearest post with billeting, which at $15 a night (plus $5-6 in fuel every day)... i just can't justify for the living conditions vs the $30 in fuel a day($9-10 additional) to be back home in my own bed with the woman i love every night.

I dont mind the drive, actually rather enjoy it in some regards, as stated by California98civic... so i'm more or less just doing the mods for fun and long term fuel savings.

ron 09-25-2012 10:21 PM

To be young and in love again,your field maint. shop should have a shower,locker room,tv, microwave and a hidden corner that you can crash in,then you would be more rested ,save some $ and have a weekly honeymoon. a win win (Im OLD

GRU 09-25-2012 10:48 PM

I couldnt imagine losing 4 hours driving to and from work everyday...i spend about 20 mins so i guess im lucky...

A cheap mod for keeping the rpm down on the highway is get some narrow tall tires...the speedo will be off but it should help you mileage