Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Adventurist!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 144

CLaero - '97 Acura CL Premium
90 day: 34.59 mpg (US)

CR-v - '03 Honda CR-V EX
Team Honda
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Been lurking, finally biting the bullet!

I've been lurking the ecomodder forum on and off for a while now, utilizing some of the driving techniques and admiring some of the work done in order to crank out the MPG's!

I've recently shifted from a 7mi daily commute (3.5mi each way) to over a 240mi daily commute... needless to say, I've parked the truck, and have been logging 1200mi per week on the Acura instead.

currently the Acura has antenna delete, suspension dropped (lowering struts/springs) but nothing else. I've been monitoring the fuel consumption via the BHP Torque app (with bluetooth obd2 transmitter) and have had an LTA of 29.9mpg varying from 26.6-34.2mpg per tank depending on driving conditions and driver habits. Ideally I'd like to get that number over 40mpg for my commute.

future mods in store:
full (removable) grill blocks
LRR tires
rear belly pan
weight reduction (pass seat, rear seats etc)
smooth wheel covers
tire spats
rear wheel skirts
manual vtec over-ride
more stringent driving techniques

any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll be starting tomorrow by doing the grill blocks!

__________________
'97 Acura CL 2.2L 5spd
'03 Honda CR-V 2.4L EX 4wd Auto
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: slo county ca.
Posts: 277

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Im going to see this week end how smooth wheel covers work on my 99dodge ctd I will also have a grill block. good luck on your MODS
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 5,938

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,223
Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
I've been lurking the ecomodder forum on and off for a while now, utilizing some of the driving techniques and admiring some of the work done in order to crank out the MPG's!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
I've recently shifted from a 7mi daily commute (3.5mi each way) to over a 240mi daily commute... needless to say, I've parked the truck, and have been logging 1200mi per week on the Acura instead.
OMG! I did this once, but mine was only 200 miles. Is there any way you can find a place to crash one or two nights a week closer to work? Save $20 in gas alone--without factoring miles--and so much less hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
currently the Acura has antenna delete, suspension dropped (lowering struts/springs) but nothing else. I've been monitoring the fuel consumption via the BHP Torque app (with bluetooth obd2 transmitter) and have had an LTA of 29.9mpg varying from 26.6-34.2mpg per tank depending on driving conditions and driver habits. Ideally I'd like to get that number over 40mpg for my commute.

future mods in store:
full (removable) grill blocks
LRR tires
rear belly pan
weight reduction (pass seat, rear seats etc)
smooth wheel covers
tire spats
rear wheel skirts
manual vtec over-ride
more stringent driving techniques

any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll be starting tomorrow by doing the grill blocks!
The grill block and the driving techniques are the best bangs for the buck on this list. Boost your tire pressure. Mine are at 58psi right now, though you'll have to judge safety and ride quality for yourself. The least helpful idea on your list--given your highway conditions--will be the weight reduction. I took a lot of weight off my car, like seats, but if you are not doing pulse and glide but are just at steady-cruise on the freeway, the weight reduction is much less meaningful. LRR tires could be cool, but what are your current tires like? If they are older and not super sticky, they might be quite good, compared to new LRRs.

Why vtec override? If you drive mellow, shouldn't it be possible to keep the vtec from engaging?
__________________
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Daox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 11,115

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,436
Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
I've recently shifted from a 7mi daily commute (3.5mi each way) to over a 240mi daily commute... needless to say, I've parked the truck, and have been logging 1200mi per week on the Acura instead.
Seriously, find a place closer to work or find a new job. 240 miles a day is ridiculous. That is 4+ hours of your life every day sitting in a freakin car vs enjoying life. That is also $34 a day in gas (at $4/gal) with you getting the 28 mpg in your acura. That is over ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH IN GAS!

I went the opposite way, but not quite as long a commute. I had only a 45 mile daily commute and now I"m down to a 14 mile commute and I gained an hour of my life back every day and would never go back. I even had the opportunity to go back with a substantial raise and wouldn't do it. I'm much happier with my short commute and actually having a life.
__________________
Current project: A better alternator delete
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
scivicblu83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: georgia
Posts: 114

experimental - '90 honda crx hf
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 67.81 mpg (US)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
welcome! if you do keep commuting, buy a highway honda; crx hf or civic vx type of thing, my two cents.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: EAFB, SD
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might do well looking into a diff F series trans to swap into for longer gearing. CL's if I remember right were supposed to be "sporty" compared to the accord. I have had 2 of them. Decent cars but slow as dirt (4cyl) and terrible auto trans (3.0)
__________________
Ben
95 Integra-H2B+boost. Coming this winter
93 Cherokee-Lifted for potential snow rescues
92 Civic Hatch-MPG project
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Adventurist!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 144

CLaero - '97 Acura CL Premium
90 day: 34.59 mpg (US)

CR-v - '03 Honda CR-V EX
Team Honda
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Im going to see this week end how smooth wheel covers work on my 99dodge ctd I will also have a grill block. good luck on your MODS
Thanks, look forward to hearing the results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Is there any way you can find a place to crash one or two nights a week closer to work?
Yes, there is a place where I may end up crashing a night or two during the week, but my lovely girlfriend and I have recently moved into a new place together, and have a lot going on with getting the homefront squared away. the commute is only temporary (Dec or Jun at the latest), so no long term arrangements need to be made.

Quote:
The grill block and the driving techniques are the best bangs for the buck on this list.
Glad to hear, as those will be my first adaptations.

Quote:
LRR tires could be cool, but what are your current tires like?
current tires are oversized (215/60's vs stock 205/55's) high performance summer tires (IE wide & sticky) and also have a rated max sidewall pressure of 36, i am running 32psi at present, but will likely inflate them to max as well.

Quote:
Why vtec override? If you drive mellow, shouldn't it be possible to keep the vtec from engaging?
Honda's F22b1 VTEC is derived more for fuel efficiency then power, and kicks in between 2600-3200 rpms (right at highway speed rpms) I want to derive a manual override more for curiosity's sake then anything else, seeing whether it helps or hurts FE being controlled one way or another.
__________________
'97 Acura CL 2.2L 5spd
'03 Honda CR-V 2.4L EX 4wd Auto
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JRMichler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phillips, WI
Posts: 974

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 34.71 mpg (US)
Thanks: 186
Thanked 402 Times in 258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
I want to derive a manual override more for curiosity's sake then anything else, seeing whether it helps or hurts FE being controlled one way or another.
Now THAT is a true ecomodder speaking. Provided, of course, that you tell us how you did it, how it drives, and the effect on gas mileage.
__________________
The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Adventurist!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 144

CLaero - '97 Acura CL Premium
90 day: 34.59 mpg (US)

CR-v - '03 Honda CR-V EX
Team Honda
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
Now THAT is a true ecomodder speaking. Provided, of course, that you tell us how you did it, how it drives, and the effect on gas mileage.
But of course!!!

As for the grill block, it was/ is my intention to use 4 segments of coroplast attached via industrial velcro w sticky back, but i ended up using a $4 roll of black duct tape to get some preliminary results before spending $30-40 on the coroplast stuff. I should be done with those findings tmr.

The first 120 miles ive noted a 10-15 degree increase in coolant temps at 205-210f vs 190-195f without. (Still in safe operating range) but with a minimal increase with intake temp running at 85-89f as opposed to 83-87 on similar cool mornings.

I'll post back this eve or tomorrow after i see how the CLaero handles the afternoon temps with the full block.
__________________
'97 Acura CL 2.2L 5spd
'03 Honda CR-V 2.4L EX 4wd Auto
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Batman Junior
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1000 Islands, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,579

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.8 mpg (US)

Winter beater Metro - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 61.98 mpg (US)

Fancy Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 58.72 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 66.29 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,362
Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,189 Posts
240 mi/day is extremely unfortunate. Time and money down the drain!

I'd strongly recommend spending your time sorting out your work/life arrangement rather than spending time on the car!

The True Cost of Commuting | Mr. Money Mustache

__________________
Latest mods: 3-cylinder Mitsubishi Mirage. EcoMods now in progress...
Ecodriving test:
Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown



EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
accord, acura, honda

Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com