EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Best Hypermiling technique & mod (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/best-hypermiling-technique-mod-3980.html)

xbUser 07-22-2008 12:04 PM

Best Hypermiling technique & mod

Since we are all experiencing the benefit of hypermiling, why not share your experience to everybody.

Please name 3 mods & 3 techniques which are the most COST EFFECTIVE. Cost effective means you don't need to spend a lot of money and gives you the highest raise in mpg.

3 mods
1) Tire to 44psi (no cost, about 10-15% up in mpg)
2) Grille blocked (no cost since I get the plastic film from office, about 1.5%? up)
3) I don't have the 3rd mod yet.

3 techniques
1) Slow down under 65mpg in freeway (about 15% up in mpg):turtle:
2) Drafting (about 5% up in mpg, since can't draft all the time)
3) Time the lights (unknown saving in mpg, but I know it saves)

skyl4rk 07-22-2008 05:32 PM

Choose the right roads with few stops, 55mph speed limits or less, shortest distance to destination

Engine off coasting!

dcb 07-22-2008 05:38 PM

most effective mods:
tire pressure to nerve max ($0)
kill switch ($3)
fuel consumption instrumentation ($15-$170)

most effective Techniques:
EOC
EOC
EOC

azraelswrd 07-22-2008 05:42 PM

3 mods
- lose weight (FREE)
- pump tires up (FREE)
- tape up decorative divots and grille

3 techs
- max gear, lowest rpm sooner the better
- plan routes to avoid traffic
- DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off)

ATaylorRacing 07-22-2008 06:22 PM

On a 98 Neon 5 speed that was rated at 41 mpg I did:

I removed the stock air filter assembly and put three layers of screen mesh over the throttlebody opening with a hose clamp....cost near 0, picked up right at 1.8 mpg, and also ran nearly .25 seconds quicker in the quarter. This put me at the 41 mpg that it was rated at on a 80 mile loop with top speed of 65 and 5 stop signs.

An underdrive pulley kit on the same loop and conditions put me up to 43 and again nearly .25 seconds quicker in the quarter mile. Cost was about $200.

On the same loop I would shut off the motor if I had a slower speed limit or stop ahead and got 46 mpg!

This car eventually ran 14.8 in the quarter on the motor and 12.17 at 117 with a 125 hp shot of nitrous!

ATaylorRacing 07-22-2008 06:29 PM

On a 3.3 ltr V6 Chrysler Voyager (unknown epa rating) I did the following:

Lighter 17" rims with same diameter and width tires as original / $800....tires were shot and I just plain wanted the good looks. This picked up right at 1 mpg to now get 21 compared to 20.

Replaced the air filter element with three layers of screen wire mesh / cost near 0....one more mpg to get 22.

Removed all the clutter from the interior that was not needed and removed the last bench seat / cost 0.....one more mpg for 23.

That still stank so we traded it for a Scion Xb that gets 36 on the hiway at 65-70!

ATaylorRacing 07-22-2008 06:36 PM

2005 Neon SRT4, 230 hp 5 speed, EPA rating of 31.

I bought this neat car in Feb and ran it on reg instead of premium and was getting 27 mpg.

In March I started using premium and it immediately started getting the 31 it was rated at.....and ran 13.8s at over 101 mph in the quarter! Cost $0.20+ per gallon.

Took out the passenger seat and various clutter for 31.5, dang, cost 0.

Had it brought up to Mopar performance stage 2 set up with 285 hp and the mechanic that did it knows how to lean it out for more power....and economy. Cost was a bit over $2000, but gas mileage is now 32.8 and it runs barely in the high 12s at over 106 mph......FUN....and not too costly a car, but I just bought a Geo Metro to use while I park this beast!

Geo Metro cost in great condition....$3000 and maybe 49 mpg that it is rated at?

whokilledthejams 07-22-2008 07:27 PM

Mods:
grille block and/or air dam
45psi in my tires
-I also haven't really done anything else to my car-

Techniques:
EOC
good route planning-- you can neutral-coast, EOC, and P&G a lot easier on backroads than the interstate
drive conservatively, even if not outright hypermiling-- shift as early as possible, generally go as slow as is reasonable-- don't get in the way.

tasdrouille 07-22-2008 07:43 PM

Mods:
- Increased tire pressure (50 psi) (Free)
- Coroplasted front end (blocks + air dam) (Free)
- FAT mod (fuel and air temp sensor mods. TDI specific. Advances part load timing & reduces idle injection qty) (<$1)

Techniques:
- Slowing down
- EOC
- Drafting

Lazarus 07-22-2008 10:01 PM

Mods:
Scan Gauge- or other instantaneous instrumentation: without it you really don't know how the mods are working and will easily pay for itself in fuel saving.
Grille block-upper/lower
Belly pan

Techniques- for automatic
Know shift point rpms
Drive speed limit or speed which give lowest rpm that is within 5 mph
Plan route and time of day