Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
510 Million Degrees!?

How much energy do you suppose it takes to get Hydrogen isotopes up to 510 Million Degrees Celsius??

In doing some personal research about Reactive Fusion (plasma/laser cutting), I came across this "Overview" paper about PPPL (The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory), which apparently was designed to be a Fission Reactor.

In reading through this (rather interesting) 8-page document, I found that in 1995, The record for "highest temperature ever produced in a laboratory" went to PPPL's Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor, which produced plasma gas at 510 million degrees.

This is apparently about 5 times more than what is required to produce a practical amount of energy from fusion reactors.

So, somewhere else in the paper, it says that Fusion has a payback ratio of ~450:1.

Obviously, the energy has to come from somewhere... so how exactly do you go about getting an isotope to a temperature that high, and then contain it?

Besides, if the payback ratio is ~450:1, per unit of energy installed, isn't that something in the realm of overunity? I think I'm missing something about this whole experiment in Sun-Technology.

Anyone with more information than I've found care to carry the conversation out?

PPPL Overview Paper

Last edited by Christ; 06-27-2009 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: Paper link:[URL="http://www.pppl.gov/overview0409.pdf"]PPPL Overview Paper[/URL]
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-28-2009, 05:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
How much energy do you suppose it takes to get Hydrogen isotopes up to 510 Million Degrees Celsius??
A couple of atoms that's 510 million degrees Celsius can have less energy than my notebook at 0 degrees. Temperature is the average amount of vibrations of the atoms of an object. Ergo, if the object is larger, it contains more energy. Hydrogen isotopes are itty bitty

Reply  Post New Thread