EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Best prius for hypermiling? G2, 3, C, V? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/best-prius-hypermiling-g2-3-c-v-28516.html)

theaveng 03-22-2014 07:32 PM

Best prius for hypermiling? G2, 3, C, V?

I should specify interstate hypermiling. My guess would be the tiny 1.5 liter engines in the G2 and C would do better than the G3 or V.

However I'm confused that the EPA rating shows the opposite (1.8 L has better highway MPG than 1.5 liter cars). Why does real world experience show?

I should mention I'm planning to buy a Prius within a year, and that's why I'm researching which has the highest MPG for hypermiling. Thanks :-D

user removed 03-22-2014 07:53 PM

Toyota Prius MPG Reports | Fuelly

Check out fuelly,see what owners are reporting. Probably the latest generation is best highway. Personally I like the C.

regards
Mech

redpoint5 03-23-2014 02:28 AM

The various models offer similar fuel economy. I would get the one that suits your purpose for the vehicle.

That said, the Gen3 Prius has the most aerodynamic shape, and the larger engine happens to get better fuel economy.

theaveng 03-23-2014 09:37 AM

Fuelly people aren't hypermilers, and a lot of them drive their cars very poorly (see the ~55 average for the original insight... hypermilers get well over the EPA figure of 70).

My ideal car would be 1-seat wide to minimize aero drag, but alas nobody sells that in the US. So I buy a Prius instead (G2 or G3 or C... I'm not sure yet).

sheepdog 44 03-23-2014 10:32 AM

I think the C is a really nice looking car. But the G2 and G3 have better aero for the highway. I'd pick the C anyways though.

California98Civic 03-23-2014 12:05 PM

All good advice, but I would pick the C2 (the step up from the base model, the one with cruise control, for hihway driving mpg maximization).

James

Vman455 03-23-2014 02:38 PM

I remember reading that the reason the larger-engine G3 gets better mileage than the G2 is because the higher torque output allows it to run at a lower rpm on the freeway.

I'm happy with my G3 liftback; I bought it over a C because I can fit my bikes in back without taking any wheels off and the better aerodynamics.

redpoint5 03-23-2014 05:10 PM

The larger engine in the G3 has a wider, stronger torque band that minimizes electric motor use. Staying out of electric assist improves efficiency.

theaveng 03-23-2014 06:13 PM

The G1 was available in the USA from model year 2001. I see them from time-to-time. They are a standard sedan shape (like an Echo) with trunk. Not as aerodynamic as the new hatchback shape of later years. (Also there are no 2003s for the G2.)

Anyway I guess I'll get the G3 in "sea glass". It sounds like it will give highest MPG at 50-60 mph. :-) I might hold off for G4 though, just to see how if it improves economy. Maybe Toyota has some trick up their sleeve to make the car even more sleek or less fuel guzzling. (And if not then I'll get the G3 clearance price.)

Cobb 03-23-2014 07:28 PM

I had a prius 3 as a renal car for 2 weeks. I put about 2 thousand miles on it. I drove the hell out of the car and got no less than 49.9 mpg. :eek: Press the power mode button, then floor it when the way is clear. Once you pass 12 mph you will soil your pants and your passengers pants. :turtle: