EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Best vehicle to tow a trailer? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/best-vehicle-tow-trailer-14803.html)

Ryland 10-08-2010 10:15 AM

Best vehicle to tow a trailer?

I've talked to a number of people who are looking for a new vehicle who want something to tow a trailer and I started thinking about all of the options if you rely on a trailer, then I looked around my parents house, low flat bed trailer for hauling large or heavy stuff, small high sided trailer for hauling dirt and gravel, snowmobile trailer, sail boat that belongs to a friend, tow bar for my electric car (it also fits on the low flat bed) and started to think about how a tow vehicle would be a good 2nd vehicle, or a good vehicle to have to share in a family or group of friends.
most people would pick a pickup truck, but are there better choices? I was thinking something like a Jeep wrangler would be a good choice if they had some aerodynamic improvements and that a diesel engine might even be able to be put in if someone had the time and energy.
So lets say you need to be able to tow 2,000 pounds, seating for 2 and cargo area otherwise could be as little as the trunk space in an average car.

brucey 10-08-2010 11:37 AM

I wouldn't recommend towing with a wrangler/tracker ish car. I've seen several of them flip while doing so. (Oddly, I've never seen a samurai flipped, the vehicle known for flipping)

Really just about any mini truck will tow 2000 lbs without issue. I'd recommend an S10 just for the number of parts available.

RobertSmalls 10-08-2010 12:18 PM

Yeah, a tall offroader will deliver horrid mileage on-road, and its short wheelbase and high center of mass make it a poor choice for towing.

If you only need to tow 1000lbs, get a Prius. Lots of compact hatchbacks and station wagons can handle 2000lbs. For truly massive loads, 5speed5 pointed out that the '96 Caprice can do 5000lbs, and I bet the Crown Victoria is in a similar category.

euromodder 10-08-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 198038)
So lets say you need to be able to tow 2,000 pounds, seating for 2 and cargo area otherwise could be as little as the trunk space in an average car.

In Europe, that can be done by just about anything in what you call the compact class - though not always when an automatic transmission is used, as this can limit the towing capacity.

But towing capacity in the US appears to be rated ridiculously low.
A Volvo V50 T5 is rated for 3300 lbs (with a braked trailer) in Europe, yet it's only rated for a lowly 2000 lbs in the US ! :eek:

gasstingy 10-08-2010 01:52 PM

My wife and I own a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado extended cab truck for all of our heavy hauling and towing. We try to only use it when it is the most appropriate for the task at hand. {We bought it new 12/31/03, currently has less than 36k miles.}

Frank Lee 10-08-2010 02:41 PM

Unless one goes full-bore aero on a tow-er/trailer combo, the aero is going to be bad anyway esp. if you don't have an enclosed trailer. So pull it with whatever.

endurance 10-08-2010 04:41 PM

If money was no option, I'd go with a turbo-diesel pick up or maybe a sprinter van if it's a small trailer. My brother drives like crap and still manages 20-23mpg most tanks in his Chevy 3/4 ton. He's towed the horse trailer with one horse once and still managed 16mpg (total trailer was probably 4500#). I on the otherhand used to tow my 21' travel trailer that weighed in at 4000# wet with a full sized K5 Blazer and it brought my mileage down from 14-16.5 without to 7.5-8.6mpg while towing. I just didn't think you could get a 305ci engine to use that much gas on level ground. Amazing! I also struggled with overheating everytime the road tilted up over 5%.

redyaris 10-08-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 198038)
I've talked to a number of people who are looking for a new vehicle who want something to tow a trailer and I started thinking about all of the options if you rely on a trailer, then I looked around my parents house, low flat bed trailer for hauling large or heavy stuff, small high sided trailer for hauling dirt and gravel, snowmobile trailer, sail boat that belongs to a friend, tow bar for my electric car (it also fits on the low flat bed) and started to think about how a tow vehicle would be a good 2nd vehicle, or a good vehicle to have to share in a family or group of friends.
most people would pick a pickup truck, but are there better choices? I was thinking something like a Jeep wrangler would be a good choice if they had some aerodynamic improvements and that a diesel engine might even be able to be put in if someone had the time and energy.

The first consideration is what type of engine? I would go with a turbocharged diesle because of the power/torque charictaristics. When it comes to the drivetrain I would go with a standard transmission and perhaps a 4x4 if you drive in snow frequently. If the GVW of the trailer is 2000lbs then one of the VW TDI would be good; or something like that. ;)

Ryland 10-09-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redyaris (Post 198108)
If the GVW of the trailer is 2000lbs then one of the VW TDI would be good; or something like that. ;)

I was kind of wondering about a TDI golf, after all its a 2,700 pound car or so, so it's going to be pretty stable and 2,000 pounds is about as much as I could ever see towing, 2,000 pounds is the total weight of my electric car on a trailer for taking it to shows and events that are beyond it's range, it's also about the weight of a trailer full of gravel or dirt.
My civic VX does fine with 1,000 pounds behind it but I wouldn't want to try much more then that with a 1,900 pound car.
I've seen alot of Jeeps that are jacked up with big tires, that is not what I was thinking, the stock ones with stock size tires tend to sit pretty low, they look to have a full frame instead of a unibody and like I said, if they are not jacked up with big wheels they look to be pretty stable and have an EPA of 20mpg with a gas engine, altho 120hp where the TDI golf is 90hp but with more torque then the gas Jeep...
So maybe a TDI would be the way to go, 42-49mpg without a trailer would make it a good 2nd vehicle for people like me who's other vehicle is an electric car so you get the towing ability and good highway miles and only use it for that.

redyaris 10-09-2010 05:10 PM

The other advantage of some form of tubo-diesle is that you can use some mixture of vegitable oil or biodiesle and diesle, which will reduce the "money" cost of operation. I have some friends who do this and they drive almost for free, cash wise.