EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Black diesel experiment (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/black-diesel-experiment-25184.html)

almater1 03-10-2013 12:23 PM

Black diesel experiment

I had great success on first batch of black diesel and poof- smoke and less power have zapped my benz named ZOK. I am not sure if I got ahold of synthetic oil or more dire problems lurk under the hood. Here is what I do notice since running it after straight diesel. VERY QUIET and much less vibration. That is the good, the bad? Fuel economy suffering- getting around 17mpg and smoking profusely at idle and startup. My mix is a 3o% diesel to WMO- so my 1999 chev cavalier at 30MPG and less cost per gallon is almost as efficient- sad face here. I am told by users of black diesel my fuel economy should be same or better, sad face here because if that were true I would be all over this project. I never really checked mileage on the first batch but had no power issues or smoke on first batch of 10gallons. Which I knew contained no synthetic because it was my own waste motor oil. My next 30 gallons was the difference it seems and that is where I am not sure of what the content was.

I have filtered the snot out of the WMO and added acetone and sea foam injector cleaner to every 5 gallons of mixed fuel. Any ideas out there??

oil pan 4 03-10-2013 03:45 PM

Only thing I can think of is dont burn 30% WMO.
30% WVO or SVO yes (when its warmer out).
In my part of newmexico nights are winter like and days are almost summer like.

almater1 03-10-2013 04:04 PM

70% wmo

Actually I am running 70% WMO with 30% DIESEL- yes the nights are cold, Zok stays in the garage at night for easier startups and I rarely turn car off at quick stops- just lock it up and let it idle. All my mileage figures are on tanks run from 200 miles plus. I have thought of going to a 50/50 blend to see if I smoke less and regain my power on take off. But then I really suffer on economy when I can just run my chevy at 30+ mpg at 3.45 per gallon. Pretty much a deal breaker for me at 50/50 so haven't jumped into that experiment yet. Thanks for the post.

UFO 03-11-2013 06:15 PM

Yuk. I'm sure the cetane of motor oil is considerable lower than what the engine can burn efficiently, therefore it goes out the tailpipe. A much better use for WMO is recycling, or at least burning in a furnace that is designed for it.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-11-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 360802)
I'm sure the cetane of motor oil is considerable lower than what the engine can burn efficiently, therefore it goes out the tailpipe.

I've already seen some folks blending WMO either with gasoline or kerosene, to make it thinner and easier to burn on a Diesel engine.

rmay635703 03-11-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almater1 (Post 360609)
Actually I am running 70% WMO with 30% DIESEL- .

A few simple things to understand.

1. I do not know of anybody running M70 that doesn't use RUG!
2. I do not know of anybody who has ever successfully ran M70+ in anything other than a ford 7.3 with a tune

So I strongly recommend you read this

How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

and every thread here

BioDiesel & Alternative Fuels

and this

drmiller100's simple W85 thread - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

So in your case you should be able to get away with a 50/50 mix, preferably with RUG included.

You SHOULD include

Two tanks and in an ideal world heat one.

You should always start on clean normal diesel and shut off on clean normal diesel.

DO these things and you may well be able to burn WMO but above 50% in a mechanical diesel will likely not happen without constant injector cleaning.

You also need to make sure that all water is removed, RUG generally is required during your processing of the WMO to make this happen.

The plastic to gas device allows you to make a diesel blend for roughly $0.35 a gallon, that fuel will work just fine at 100% or may work mixed with WMO ala carte to reduce your mixing cost.

Cheers
Ryan

almater1 03-11-2013 09:00 PM

thanks for the reply on Black diesel experiment

So I do filter this WMO like crazy, I haven't ever mixed with RUG and I am curious now if this might help thin it more for my old injectors- remember this old benz has over 450k miles on it... I am tempted to filter a batch of WMO and mix the RUG- not sure what ratio to try first? Maybe 5gal RUG per 15gal WMO? Anyone have a blend suggestion?

rmay635703 03-11-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almater1 (Post 360849)
So I do filter this WMO like crazy,

Anyone have a blend suggestion?

You can filter until you are blue in the face and it won't remove any water suspended in the emulsion.

Generally after you mix well with rug (after initial filtration) all the crud and crapola will settle out (over a period of days), you filter the good portion on the top and whats left should be left alone.

Generally you would use 15% RUG 35% diesel and 50% WMO in an unhappy craptaskic diesel, especially during colder periods.

Doctor Miller is a crazy ******* but also has a lot of experience with this stuff. He is the best to ask on mixes but understand to weigh his words appropriately and error on the safe side, because he figures changing your injectors out once a week for cleaning is easy par for the coarse.

25% RUG in a mercedes is likely just fine but the only way to know is to test.

If it works and you don't clog injectors or kill the IP the cost of your fuel will decrease dramatically because RUG is much cheaper than diesel and also more affective as a cleaner.

I would strongly recommend you become very very good at removing and cleaning your injectors.

Then you can slowly check increasing strengths of WMO vrs RUG.

Cheers
Ryan

redpoint5 03-11-2013 11:03 PM

Interesting thread.

I don't filter my WMO and just pour the gallon or so directly into my fuel tank. Then again, a few gallons of synthetic WMO per year mixed at less than 5% isn't going to hurt anything. I figure the oil has already been filtered thousands of time by the oil filter, so it should be good to go into the fuel tank.

I've heard of people on the Dodge Ram forum running 100% WMO without issue. Most recommend a 50% mix though.

almater1 03-11-2013 11:52 PM

Thanks again, so I do absorb some water with a polymer crystal pouch that sits in my 5 gal buckets prior to mixing with my diesel- I put 1 oz per 5 gallon - acetone to remove any other water hiding in my blend.

I have decided I might have to get comfortable pulling injectors and it seems it will be relatively easy- I will keep others posted as to my progress on that front.