EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Bluesteel's 86 SVO Mustang (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/bluesteels-86-svo-mustang-30675.html)

bluesteel93 12-10-2014 08:48 PM

Bluesteel's 86 SVO Mustang

I thought I would start a thread for my 86 Mustang SVO in case anyone was interested. Now this isn't going to be my daily driver anymore once I get the transmission rebuilt on the VX, but I thought I would track its fuel economy regardless. Also I haven't been able to drive at all for the past month because I had ACL reconstruction surgery so I've been itchin' just to be able to post anything! Haha.

For anyone who doesn't know the SVO Mustangs were built from 1984 to 1986 and came equipped with a 2.3 liter turbo 4 cylinder as opposed to the 5.0 liter v8's. They're pretty cool cars IMO and you don't see a lot of them around anymore.

Anyway doc gave me the OK to drive finally and I took the SVO out to run some errands and get gas. Averaged 20.9 mpg this tank which is on par with EPA for mixed driving. From what I remember it was about 50/50 highway and city driving before it was parked for a month. Nothing to brag about at all but I'm interested to see if I can better the fuel economy with this car simply by adjusting my driving style.

No ecomods are planned for it. It is slightly lowered already on H&R race springs but that is probably the only mod helping fuel economy right now. I'm trying to keep it looking as stock as possible with subtle performance mods.

I should have a tank or two left in it before I have the VX up and running. After that it's just going to be weekend trips to the local cars and coffee.

Here's a couple of pics

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/g...psmboiqt0e.jpg

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/g...pseocbdbsh.jpg

Baltothewolf 12-10-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesteel93 (Post 459268)
I thought I would start a thread for my 86 Mustang SVO in case anyone was interested. Now this isn't going to be my daily driver anymore once I get the transmission rebuilt on the VX, but I thought I would track its fuel economy regardless. Also I haven't been able to drive at all for the past month because I had ACL reconstruction surgery so I've been itchin' just to be able to post anything! Haha.

For anyone who doesn't know the SVO Mustangs were built from 1984 to 1986 and came equipped with a 2.3 liter turbo 4 cylinder as opposed to the 5.0 liter v8's. They're pretty cool cars IMO and you don't see a lot of them around anymore.

Anyway doc gave me the OK to drive finally and I took the SVO out to run some errands and get gas. Averaged 20.9 mpg this tank which is on par with EPA for mixed driving. From what I remember it was about 50/50 highway and city driving before it was parked for a month. Nothing to brag about at all but I'm interested to see if I can better the fuel economy with this car simply by adjusting my driving style.

No ecomods are planned for it. It is slightly lowered already on H&R race springs but that is probably the only mod helping fuel economy right now. I'm trying to keep it looking as stock as possible with subtle performance mods.

I should have a tank or two left in it before I have the VX up and running. After that it's just going to be weekend trips to the local cars and coffee.

Here's a couple of pics

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/g...psmboiqt0e.jpg

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/g...pseocbdbsh.jpg

I have a '91 myself, but it's got the 302 Windsor, not the 2.3L. That's still an amazing car, I would rip a Cobra engine and drop it in there if it was mine :P.

bluesteel93 12-10-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 459273)
I have a '91 myself, but it's got the 302 Windsor, not the 2.3L. That's still an amazing car, I would rip a Cobra engine and drop it in there if it was mine :P.

Ya my very first car was an 87 GT. Then I got a 93 GT which I still have, but it has a 349 stroker and makes 400 whp. Not really practical to drive on the street anymore. The plan for that one is to swap the drivetrain into a factory five Daytona coupe kit car sometime down the line.

My brother bought the 86 SVO off one of his work friends a few years ago. It was his daily for awhile until he found another 84 SVO for a good deal. So he has the 84 now and I bought the 86 from him.

mcrews 12-10-2014 09:48 PM

I had the precursor: 1979 mustang pace car w 2.3 liter turbo. Very tight w the Michelin trx tires and recaro seats.

Baltothewolf 12-10-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesteel93 (Post 459277)
Ya my very first car was an 87 GT. Then I got a 93 GT which I still have, but it has a 349 stroker and makes 400 whp. Not really practical to drive on the street anymore. The plan for that one is to swap the drivetrain into a factory five Daytona coupe kit car sometime down the line.

My brother bought the 86 SVO off one of his work friends a few years ago. It was his daily for awhile until he found another 84 SVO for a good deal. So he has the 84 now and I bought the 86 from him.

I plan on doing a 331 Stroker eventually to mine, along with a 3.73 rear end. Just no money to make it happen at the moment.

wdb 12-11-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 459286)
Michelin trx tires

Ugh. I had those on a Peugeot 505. The dealer told me it would be cheaper to swap out the wheels altogether, but did I listen?

It took me years to forgive Michelin for that debacle.

Oh - and subscribed. :) Closet Ford guy here, who loves the idea of a Daytona Factory Five kit. The Daytona Coupe and Ferrari 250 GTO are two of my favorite front engined cars of all time - and there is no way I'll ever find myself in a GTO! :eek::p

mcrews 12-11-2014 12:52 PM

Those tires were 125 each in 1984!!!!

mcrews 12-11-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdb (Post 459360)
Ugh. I had those on a Peugeot 505. The dealer told me it would be cheaper to swap out the wheels altogether, but did I listen?

It took me years to forgive Michelin for that debacle.

Oh - and subscribed. :) Closet Ford guy here, who loves the idea of a Daytona Factory Five kit. The Daytona Coupe and Ferrari 250 GTO are two of my favorite front engined cars of all time - and there is no way I'll ever find myself in a GTO! :eek::p

Agree on tha factory five kits!!!
Did you see mark smyth ( brother) has a spinoff company that does a jetta kit rear wheel drive turbo TDI 2 seater

bluesteel93 12-11-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 459309)
I plan on doing a 331 Stroker eventually to mine, along with a 3.73 rear end. Just no money to make it happen at the moment.

I hear you. I built mine when I was young and dumb and didn't have a wife haha. Couldn't imagine trying to build one right now. If I did do it again though, I'd probably build a 408 based off a 351W block instead of using the 302 block. Practically the same cost for the parts, but that block is a lot stronger than the 302's.

bluesteel93 12-11-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 459380)
Agree on tha factory five kits!!!
Did you see mark smyth ( brother) has a spinoff company that does a jetta kit rear wheel drive turbo TDI 2 seater

That's interesting, never seen his cars before. Not too crazy on the styling but pretty cool nonetheless.