EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   boat tailing behind wheels (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/boat-tailing-behind-wheels-40300.html)

Phase 06-12-2022 10:59 PM

boat tailing behind wheels

anyone have an idea of how much of an impact boat tailing behind wheels has?

was thinking of adding some behind the wheels on my ioniq when i do the under tray
was thinking of cutting and rounding these foam wedges behind the wheels. firm enough to hold shape, but soft enough to take impact if something wacky happens
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1500_.jpg

freebeard 06-12-2022 11:56 PM

Once they're cut and rounded which way would be up? I could see it with 3" wide tires.

The hive mind says conveyor belting.

Phase 06-13-2022 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 669510)
Once they're cut and rounded which way would be up? I could see it with 3" wide tires.

The hive mind says conveyor belting.

what do you mean? id put them behind the tires and gorilla glue the to the under tray. id cut them to be the same width or a little narrower than the tires

freebeard 06-13-2022 01:09 AM

Quote:

what do you mean?
Well, not that I care; but the question was would a square, rectangular or triangular face be uppermost?

How wide is the tire?

aerohead 06-13-2022 11:12 AM

rear wheel fairings

Volkswagen will build its ultra-frugal XL1Find the image of the 2013 Volkswagen XL1, and look at what they did.
Your wheel skirts could be low enough that they integrate right to the leading edges of the fairings.
A look at the book, 'The Leading Edge', by Goro Tamai, of MIT's solar race car team would be a look at the wheel fairing candy store!;)
7th image from top:

Phase 06-13-2022 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 669531)
Volkswagen will build its ultra-frugal XL1Find the image of the 2013 Volkswagen XL1, and look at what they did.
Your wheel skirts could be low enough that they integrate right to the leading edges of the fairings.
A look at the book, 'The Leading Edge', by Goro Tamai, of MIT's solar race car team would be a look at the wheel fairing candy store!;)
7th image from top:

The xl1 is where I’m modeling my idea after. They don’t really use them on the rear wheels. Only boat tailing on the front mostly

aerohead 06-13-2022 01:49 PM

rear

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phase (Post 669539)
The xl1 is where I’m modeling my idea after. They don’t really use them on the rear wheels. Only boat tailing on the front mostly

Actually, they do have boat-tails behind the rear tires, as well as the fronts, and in front of the rear tires.
All a good thing!:)

freebeard 06-13-2022 02:40 PM

Still not seeing an XL1 fairing with that little material.

aerohead 06-13-2022 02:55 PM

not

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 669543)
Still not seeing an XL1 fairing with that little material.

1)They had very little rear overhang to work with, but used all they had within the constraints of the diffuser.
2) And, as per the J-form/K-form testing @ FKFS, Volkswagen shaped what they had exactly as per best practices for a two-dimensional flow section, as observed for lowest drag.
3) If they'd had more aft-body, they could have had more drag reduction.
4) In HVAC practice, one needs ' six pipe-diameters' ( tire width ) distance downstream of an 'obstruction'( tire ) in order for the streamlines to recover.
5) Many solar race cars take full advantage of the car's 'real estate.';)

freebeard 06-13-2022 05:28 PM

Quote:

4) In HVAC practice, one needs ' six pipe-diameters' ( tire width ) distance downstream of an 'obstruction'( tire ) in order for the streamlines to recover.
Sounds excessive, a six inch tire would need a three foot tail. HVAC is an inverse case. Mair found an l/d of 1.0 gets 80% of the maximum.