Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

What to expect?

I'm bored at my desk at work...

I'm relatively new to road cycling, having only owned a bike for three months.

I've gone out for a ride with the Solihull cycling club's E run but found it a bit too slow [we did 33 miles at 11.1mph]. This Sunday I'll be riding with the D run which is 60 miles at 14mph. Trouble is, my average speed on my daily commute is 13.2mph. Will it be too much for me?

Also, I'm a keen martial artist. I am aware that martial arts kicks and hundreds of road miles are going to be terrible for my knees but I'm not prepared to give up my karate or my cycling.

Comments, suggestions welcome. Please share your stories and let me know what to expect in the future!

Thanks

bikes-bicycle-parts.com

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Go for it !

If you can pack ride well, then 60 miles at 14mph should be very doable. Until you are sure that you are able to finish, stay in the pack--a large pack actually causes a vaccuum that pulls you along. While you are drafting, keep your front wheel from overlapping the wheel in front of you, try to be smooth and not use the brakes to adjust speed, and keep your head up and your eyes well down the road.

As for your knees, proper pedalling style and gearing will make all of the difference. Stationary bikes are often used for knee rehab.

Reply  Post New Thread