EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Calling all TOYOTA CAMRY owners!... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/calling-all-toyota-camry-owners-29960.html)

SilverCrown9701 09-11-2014 01:50 PM

Calling all TOYOTA CAMRY owners!...

I thought I would create a thread dedicated to Toyota Camrys.

I would like to hear from others on modifications they've done, hypermiling techniques used, maintenance advice and feedback, etc.

All generations of the Camry are welcome!!! I fully encourage uploading photos to show off your work and feel proud to drive one of the most reliable and comfortable cars on the road today. :)

Here's how I'd like to see each entry listed:

-Name (if any)
-Mileage
-Modifications (if any)
-Years of ownership
-Hypermiling techniques used that work
-What you love about your car

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to private message me!

Happy Hypermiling! :)

darcane 09-11-2014 05:45 PM

EcoModder Fleet list - model=Camry

SilverCrown9701 09-11-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcane (Post 444993)

This is helpful, but I wanted actual Camry individuals to report and respond with their personal data.

redpoint5 09-12-2014 01:33 PM

1998 Toyota Camry
245,000 miles
Grill block (upper and partial lower)
1 year in my possession. Parent's car, but they have my truck at the moment

I shift to neutral when stopped, often shifting to neutral while coasting to the stop. This lowers idle fuel consumption. Sometimes I downshift to get DFCO. I accelerate at 80% load and then let up on the throttle briefly to make the car up-shift early. While climbing a steeper grade, I will hold the throttle at 85% load and no higher so that it doesn't downshift. The car is gutless, so you have to build up momentum before a hill, and hold the highest load you can without downshifting or going open loop. Tires at 45PSI.

I love that it's reliable and gets decent fuel economy on road trips. Although it has a worse coefficient of drag than the Acura TSX and fewer gears, the top gear is still taller and gets better highway fuel economy.

It's a good thing the newer models use a timing chain. This car has broken the timing belt twice, and luckily the engine is non-interference so no damage was done.

Upper grill block is coroplast and lower is pipe insulation.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...m/KIMG0019.jpg

SilverCrown9701 09-12-2014 02:34 PM

Thanks for posting!

Wow, it still looks good! These cars could certainly use a few mechanical tweaks but they're one of the best cars ever built and very economical as you said.

What type of maintenance have you done during your ownership?

Have you noticed better FE while coasting in Neutral versus using DFCO?

How about shutting off at stoplights?

redpoint5 09-14-2014 04:18 PM

I just got back from a 300 mile round trip to Mt. Rainier and averaged 34MPG. That includes traveling at 75mph on I-5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCrown9701 (Post 445105)
Thanks for posting!
What type of maintenance have you done during your ownership?

It's still my parents car, but since it's been in my care I have replaced the rear trailing arms that control toe. The bushings had worn out and the rear wheels had play. I also replaced a cracked motor mount. Last week I fixed a massive coolant leak caused by a hole in one of the bypass hoses. The parts store couldn't find the right part, so I just used fuel line of the right diameter and fixed it for under $1. While searching for the coolant leak, I heard an intake leak and replaced the air intake hose. The car lived half it's life in SoCal, and that caused much of the rubber to fail. My parents previously owned a 1996 Camry that didn't have any of these parts fail, likely because it lived in Oregon and wasn't subject to the sun and heat.

The car had a p0401 code that was resolved by replacing one of the vacuum switching valves.

At around 200k miles, I replaced all 4 struts for my parents as the suspension was very wallowy. I've put maybe $400 into the car, and my parents have replaced the timing belt twice after snapping it.

Quote:

Have you noticed better FE while coasting in Neutral versus using DFCO?
Neutral has worse FE than using DFCO, but if I'm not planning to come to a stop or slow down, then I shift to neutral to extend out the distance I can coast.

Quote:

How about shutting off at stoplights?
I don't do this since I don't want to wear out an already old starter, and I want to be ready to move once the light turns green. I just want the car to go another year without problems before I sell it and buy my wife a Prius.

Baltothewolf 09-14-2014 05:34 PM

I had a 95 that I loved, I did an upper and lower grill block along with a cold air intake, vacuum and water gauge. I think the best tank, doing 55mph behind a semi was 38mpg. I almost double that in my insight.

SilverCrown9701 09-19-2014 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 445400)
I just got back from a 300 mile round trip to Mt. Rainier and averaged 34MPG. That includes traveling at 75mph on I-5.

It's still my parents car, but since it's been in my care I have replaced the rear trailing arms that control toe. The bushings had worn out and the rear wheels had play. I also replaced a cracked motor mount. Last week I fixed a massive coolant leak caused by a hole in one of the bypass hoses. The parts store couldn't find the right part, so I just used fuel line of the right diameter and fixed it for under $1. While searching for the coolant leak, I heard an intake leak and replaced the air intake hose. The car lived half it's life in SoCal, and that caused much of the rubber to fail. My parents previously owned a 1996 Camry that didn't have any of these parts fail, likely because it lived in Oregon and wasn't subject to the sun and heat.

The car had a p0401 code that was resolved by replacing one of the vacuum switching valves.

At around 200k miles, I replaced all 4 struts for my parents as the suspension was very wallowy. I've put maybe $400 into the car, and my parents have replaced the timing belt twice after snapping it.

Neutral has worse FE than using DFCO, but if I'm not planning to come to a stop or slow down, then I shift to neutral to extend out the distance I can coast.

I don't do this since I don't want to wear out an already old starter, and I want to be ready to move once the light turns green. I just want the car to go another year without problems before I sell it and buy my wife a Prius.

Thank you for the feedback! This is very informative and I will try the tips that you use to see how they work for me. I'm very glad to see you striving for the best with what you have for the time being, which is exactly what I am doing, though don't get me wrong, I love my car.

The only "complaint" I have about this particular generation of Camry is that it takes awhile to get up to speed, all the while burning additional gas to get into overdrive faster. There HAS to be a better way to reduce fuel consumption while accelerating in these cars.

Galvatron1 10-26-2019 02:56 PM

2014 Toyota Camry SE Non-hybrid
87,000 miles
No modifications
My gf car, don't wanna make gnarly mods.
All hypermiling techniques employed. 40-60+ mpg on highway/ 0-20 mpg in city. City MPGs take a huge hit in this car.
-What you love about your car: Toyota reliability, although I did have to get a tow recently. The alternator went bad.

Need a tire pressure recommendation for max fuel efficiency. Door jam says 35 PSI, sidewall says max 51 psi. I also don't want premature tire wear, thanks.

Ecky 10-29-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galvatron1 (Post 610374)
2014 Toyota Camry SE Non-hybrid
87,000 miles
No modifications
My gf car, don't wanna make gnarly mods.
All hypermiling techniques employed. 40-60+ mpg on highway/ 0-20 mpg in city. City MPGs take a huge hit in this car.
-What you love about your car: Toyota reliability, although I did have to get a tow recently. The alternator went bad.

Need a tire pressure recommendation for max fuel efficiency. Door jam says 35 PSI, sidewall says max 55psi. I also don't want premature tire wear, thanks.

Try 45, and go up from there if you feel comfortable with it.