EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Calling Coyote X, Megasquirt XFI file (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/calling-coyote-x-megasquirt-xfi-file-4998.html)

blownintegra 09-07-2008 02:17 PM

Calling Coyote X, Megasquirt XFI file

Coyote X,

I know you have a good starting point for the Megasquirt. You have discussed your success.

I just received my Megasquirt, and I was hoping you may be willing to share this (I think .msq) file as a starting point for my XFI. Then I can use my wideband to tune further.

Thank you!

Mike

Coyote X 09-07-2008 08:30 PM

I will get the current msq off the car tomorrow before i head off to work. It should work good as a starting point for your car.

Everything works if you use a 7 wire HEI ignition module for the ignition and use two egr solenoids wired in parallel in place of the idle air valve. The megasquirt can't control the stock suzuki idle solenoid but it can control the egr one just fine. One egr valve won't flow enough air though for idle to give you much range in tuning but it would work fine to get started with till you can find another one.

blownintegra 09-08-2008 03:09 PM

great tips!

Thanks again for your help. I can't wait to see what happens.

Coyote X 09-09-2008 10:54 PM

http://metroxfi.com/GeoMetroXFi.msq

hopefully I spelled the link correctly :) Right click and pick save as.

The fuel is close enough to get you started but you might want to bump up the low rpm high load timing map a good bit. I had to lower it as far as it is due to the shaved head making it knock real easy. So if you are thinking about it don't bother, shaving the head sucks on the G10 engine.

Get a standard GM knock sensor and hook it up to a tape player adapter or fm modulator so you can hear it through your stereo and you can set the ignition timing pretty good without needing a dyno. Just clamp the sensor into the engine mount or somewhere else solid on the engine with a pair of vise grips. Of course a dyno would make quick work of tuning the engine properly so it would probably be worth visiting one if there is one close by.

blownintegra 09-10-2008 10:06 AM

Man, you're awesome! I appreciate this. This will give me a great starting point!

Just one other thing, were you able to get the car to idle, even though the megasquirt would not run the idle solenoid? I guess I am a bit confused to what you meant about 2 EGR solenoid to make it idle.

I have tuned Hondata's and Crome in the past, but this looks a lot more in depth.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks again!

Mike

Coyote X 09-10-2008 10:26 PM

turn up the idle screw to get it to idle without the idle solenoid to start with.

You can just unhook the egr solenoid and put it in place of the stock idle one. it will be able to change the rpms by about 150 so that is better than nothing. Adding a second one in parallel will give you a good range for it to adjust the idle but isn't really needed right off. just something to mess with later.

Joe_Bloe 09-11-2008 09:48 AM

hey Coyote, do you have a build report on doing your Megasquirt? I looked on your site and didn't see any details on it.

bhazard 09-11-2008 10:40 AM

Man, I wanna squirt all my cars so bad...

Ive never heard of anyone squirting a stock festiva though.

TELVM 09-11-2008 01:27 PM

Hi Coyote. If I may ask, ¿what version of MS are you using, MS1-Extra perhaps? ¿Is that VE table the result of wideband + autotune?

Coyote X 09-11-2008 05:10 PM

yep I am using ms1-extra. The file I posted is the one currently in the car. The VE table has been using auto tune with the wideband. Right now the exhaust is pinched off and making the tune a bit strange. Once I get it fixed I can update the file but really pretty much anyone wanting to use a megasquirt is going to have to do their own wideband ve table tuning so the table listed is close enough to get the car up and going.

Once i put a stock head back on my car the engine will be pretty close to stock so it is not that big of a deal to do a stock motor. The advantage is that you can now set up lean burning ratios for pretty much whatever your highway driving is and pick up a good bit of mileage. The biggest disadvantage is the cost. A wideband is $200, Megasquirt $300, EGT sensor $75, Knock sensor setup ~$25. So you are looking at at least 600 bucks to maybe pick up 5-10mpg depending on how aggressively tuned you want to make the car.

You can go pretty extreme with it if you don't mind driving a car that is really hard to drive. The 118mpg trip I made in my car had a big help from the MS. I had it set to 18:1 for a large part of the afr table. Cut fuel 95% on lifting the throttle pedal and 0% acceleration enrichment for pushing the pedal down(had to push slowly to keep it running). Removed the idle so the car would not even attempt to idle and just die as soon as the clutch was pushed in. I did a few other things I can't think of right now and actually using driving techniques got some pretty impressive numbers. The car was totally hateful to drive like that but it at least goes to show what is possible when you push it to the limits.

I really need to make a tuning megasquirt for economy guide. Maybe I will do that next week after I get back from the meet this weekend :)