EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Ceramic coating the intake and engine block (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ceramic-coating-intake-engine-block-11759.html)

nemesis 01-07-2010 04:04 PM

Ceramic coating the intake and engine block

and/or pistons and comb chambers.

Do you guys think it's a good idea? If so why and why not.

Thanks.

Daox 01-07-2010 04:22 PM

Coating the pistons and chamber will help, but probably not noticeably. However, coating might help you increase compression ratio which could have a larger effect on mileage.

I haven't heard of coating your block or intake, and I'm not sure why you would.

JasonG 01-07-2010 06:55 PM

Combustion chamber, piston dome and ex valves helps if you're boosting and running lean. If you are doing a home-brew lean burn, it may save your engine.
For all around better fuel usage, spend the money on ceramic coated tube headers. The retained heat keeps the exhaust velocity up.

DonR 01-08-2010 11:25 AM

You can also get a moly coating on the piston skirts that will reduce friction. Typically when the combustion chamber is done they coat both intake & exhaust valves.

It also makes it a good time to get a 5 angle valve grind on the exhause valves.

cfg83 01-08-2010 12:57 PM

nemesis -

This makes me think of the following scenario. I have an engine with 190K miles on it, so it's gotta be a bit worn. If I needed to do a rebuild, then maybe this would be a good thing to do *during* the rebuild. That way, in theory, I could beef up the engine to good or better than new.

CarloSW2

Domman56 01-08-2010 01:01 PM

i get what you're saying with the block and intake I think coating it would keep the motor heat in possibly and increase mileage

If you already have the motor out of the car it's worth a shot

nemesis 01-08-2010 01:07 PM

Heat is energy, and I am not filling the car up with gasoline to heat my engine compartment, plus the engine will stay hotter when it's off, so the warm up won't even be necessary.

Daox 01-08-2010 01:27 PM

There are much cheaper and better ways of insulating your engine if that is all you are looking for. Ceramic coating will actually not do a ton of insulating since the layer is so thin. You need something thicker if you really want to insulate it.

nemesis 01-08-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 152928)
There are much cheaper and better ways of insulating your engine if that is all you are looking for. Ceramic coating will actually not do a ton of insulating since the layer is so thin. You need something thicker if you really want to insulate it.

What do you think would work better?

Daox 01-08-2010 01:46 PM

Here is something an Insight owner came up with.

Randall's Insight - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist