EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Changed home to get better mpgs??? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/changed-home-get-better-mpgs-40158.html)

larrybuck 04-13-2022 04:26 PM

Changed home to get better mpgs???

Just wondered if anybody else out there has picked a place to live specifically at least mostly percentage wise as a place to get great fuel mileage? I intentionally picked a place to live where there are three lanes on the freeway even out in the country, it only has 1 somewhat large Hill, which I can by pass if I choose to drive a flatter and much quieter two lane road that parallels it. I then live another 15 minutes off the freeway, the area that is almost traffic free. The two lane roads are mostly flat, and straight, so if someone does come flying up behind me oh, it's very easy to just wave them on by. And except for the stop sign on the off-ramp, there is only one more stop sign before I get home. That route bypasses the little town that I am nearby. If I want to go through the town, it has a population of about 750, and not even so much as a Amber flashing light, let alone any stop lights or stop signs if I'm on the main route. Just wondered if anybody else thinks this way???

redpoint5 04-13-2022 04:31 PM

I've thought that living at higher elevation would be advantageous to fuel economy.

In an ICE vehicle, flat roads aren't efficient. ICE prefers hills so they can "pulse" up maximizing the power to fuel ratio, and "glide" down the other side. That said, a hill is a longer distance between 2 points than a straight line.

larrybuck 04-13-2022 04:41 PM

I can certainly appreciate what you are saying, but basically being raised in the Portland area and also spending a lot of time near Vancouver Washington, the almost complete lack of other people flying up behind me makes this a garden Oasis for me.

freebeard 04-13-2022 05:27 PM

I just sort of landed here, it wasn't a reasoned choice.

But it's walking distance to a Grocery Outlet, down the street from an electrical substation that asks 10¢/kWh, on a bus line where I hold a free pass, and I can bicycle down paved alleys.

In any direction I look it's uphill (economically) from here.

And... I have Pacific Wonderland plates on one of the two cars.

larrybuck 04-13-2022 06:10 PM

Sounds good! I remember when my parents had the original Pacific Wonderland plates on their cars

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-13-2022 08:11 PM

Not sure if my place is the most hypermiling-friendly, but anyway, commutting to other areas is much easier than it would be from other places I considered to move before.

ME_Andy 04-13-2022 10:28 PM

I'm jealous of your commute but I can't say that would be one of my top criteria in a house.

Gasoline Fumes 04-13-2022 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 666126)
I've thought that living at higher elevation would be advantageous to fuel economy.

In an ICE vehicle, flat roads aren't efficient. ICE prefers hills so they can "pulse" up maximizing the power to fuel ratio, and "glide" down the other side. That said, a hill is a longer distance between 2 points than a straight line.

Living at a higher elevation meaning you're hauling your groceries and other supplies uphill! But maybe going downhill with a cold engine, instead of up, makes up for it?

Small hills are great. I've gotten my best tanks on hilly roads. Big hills that are hard to climb and too steep to coast down are terrible!

Gasoline Fumes 04-13-2022 11:38 PM

I've given driveway design some thought. Some sort of an uphill loop seems ideal. Coast in/up, and then be able to coast out/down later. My current driveway is downhill from the road, but not long or steep. The best I can do is coast into the driveway entrance, quickly steer back into the road, then coast in backwards. At least I never have to turn around using fuel.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-17-2022 02:53 PM

And going downhill to the road gives you better visibility than uphill, such as going out of the underground garages of most apartment complexes in my country nowadays.