EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Cheap used electric cars (OEM & other EV's) you've seen for sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cheap-used-electric-cars-oem-other-evs-youve-35329.html)

MetroMPG 07-03-2017 11:05 AM

Cheap used electric cars (OEM & other EV's) you've seen for sale

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1499093633

I know a number of long time members have been salivating in the last year or so as used EV prices have plummeted.

Why are prices so low? Blame ...

(1) The tax rebates/incentives that immediately knock $7500+ off the resale value,
(2) steadily improving battery tech / capacity making the older models look less viable,
(3) normal battery degradation reducing capacity/range in older EV's,
(4) FUD about battery failure / replacement,
(5) ???

EG: stories about used Leafs available for well under $10k have become pretty common. Mitsubishi iMievs occasionally pop up in the $6k range (right, Daox??).

The Smart pictured above takes the cake, though! If you don't need cargo space, it'd be hard to beat. Plus, they were described as fun to drive (much more so than their ICE bretheren, like the diesel cabrio I tried out last summer).

So let's use this thread to post notable examples of EV's you've seen advertised. Post a pic & link!

Quote:

Used 2013 smart fortwo electric drive Coupe

Auto Max USA
Yakima, WA 98901

Mileage 16,417
Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear
Stock # 19428
VIN WMEEJ9AA5DK726236
ATC Car ID AT-1B4774BE

Seller Comments

ANY QUESTIONS ASK FOR OR CALL JIMMY INTERNET MANAGER !! THANKS !! 509-930-5449 !!

LOW MILES !! JUST UN PLUG AND GO !! NEEDS NO GAS !! HAS 78 MILE RANGE !!
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=457667774

I will admit I have occasionally been browsing for used PHEV's. A Volt, plug-in Prius or something similar is on my long-range radar. Though they're still quite a few years out of my price range.

Daox 07-03-2017 11:55 AM

Haha, yes I've seriously thought about pulling the trigger on an imiev several times now. I just haven't been able to do it since the fuel savings (vs my Metro or Insight) are so tiny. The day will come though..

rmay635703 07-03-2017 12:10 PM

I've seen lemon law Fiat 500e s fixed up and running in the low $3's

Good time to buy a simple runabout, I paid about as much for my c-car a decade ago.

Ah well

redpoint5 07-03-2017 01:00 PM

2014 Spark EV $8,800
https://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_...on_600x450.jpg

There was a 2014 BMW i3 on CL for $17,500 a couple weeks ago.

I'm seeing 2013 Leafs on CL every week for $7,500.

The bottom of the market has to be near, and that's when I'll snatch something.

I'm also guessing that some people are selling their EV because one time last year they needed to travel further than the range of their vehicle, and now that the cool factor of EV has worn off, they never want to be range limited again.

The Bolt and "cheap" Tesla are also big factors for plummeting EV prices.

MetroMPG 07-03-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 544464)
The bottom of the market has to be near, and that's when I'll snatch something.

Bottom? Of used Leaf prices?

redpoint5 07-03-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 544465)
Bottom? Of used Leaf prices?

Bottom of these gen I EVs (Leaf, i3, Spark, Golf, Focus, etc), and by bottom, I mean when the vehicles return to normal vehicle depreciation rates.

There is a good chance that used EVs could appreciate in value in the near future when tax credits begin to expire. Suddenly new EVs will cost $7,500 more than before which will devastate demand for new ones. This should raise used car values, at least momentarily.

What is the price you would jump in, Metro?

I'll be taking a Bolt out for a test drive in a couple weeks, and then I'll see if my company allows it for my work vehicle. I'm driving a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan that was handed down to me when I started this new job.

vskid3 07-04-2017 01:42 PM

Great thread to start just as I'm coming down from really wanting an EV again (happens every couple months). :P

My "dream" (possibly affordable to me in the near future) EV is a Bolt, it could pretty easily replace the Prius. Any other Prius replacement would have to be a PHEV/range extender. I've considered just getting the Prius a buddy and having 2 cars. I'm leaning towards a Spark EV, but the cheaper ones don't seem to have fast charging (a must if I want to go outside of my city), so a Leaf may be a better fit for my wallet. Would have to be a 2013+ with heat pump, I've read too much about 2011's and 2012's battery issues.

There's several Smarts near me for $4500-6000, a couple i-MiEVs for $5500 and $6k, Leafs from $6500, Fiat 500e for $8k-8500, Spark EV for $9.5-10k, C-Max Energi for $12k, i3 as low as $18k. Prices are from local news site's classifieds, www.ksl.com/auto/ , much higher use than Craigslist in Utah.

redpoint5 07-04-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vskid3 (Post 544537)
My "dream" (possibly affordable to me in the near future) EV is a Bolt, it could pretty easily replace the Prius. Any other Prius replacement would have to be a PHEV/range extender. I've considered just getting the Prius a buddy and having 2 cars.

EVs aren't a great option for single car families unless you have friends or family that would like to trade vehicles when you need to travel further than the range allows.

Perhaps the i3 REX would be a good fit for you. It has a tiny gas generator for those extended trips. Those prices have already fallen drastically, and should continue to do so for the next year.

Daox 07-05-2017 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1499266070

Here is a 2011 Leaf for $5k in Seattle. Hard to beat that.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5298/overview/

MetroMPG 07-05-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 544467)
There is a good chance that used EVs could appreciate in value in the near future when tax credits begin to expire. Suddenly new EVs will cost $7,500 more than before which will devastate demand for new ones. This should raise used car values, at least momentarily.

Interesting!

Quote:

What is the price you would jump in, Metro?
Well, considering the last 3 cars I've bought were $1k or less... :D

A PH/EV would just be a toy to try out for a while, then sell. Given how little I drive, I'd probably use more energy topping up self-discharging batteries than from actual driving.

MetroMPG 07-05-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 544582)
Here is a 2011 Leaf for $5k in Seattle. Hard to beat that.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5298/overview/

I could live with a little cosmetic damage for that kind of discount.

Daox 07-10-2017 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1499703397

2011 Volt, 124k miles, $6995.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5610/overview/

rmay635703 07-10-2017 12:23 PM

Cheapest volt was $1500 but it needed an oil pump

Volts have been flirting with $6000 for a while, I'm waiting for the sub $5k prices ;)
Then I might have to own a 2nd

MetroMPG 07-10-2017 12:29 PM

I've never seen one that low.

rmay635703 07-10-2017 01:20 PM

Advice for Volt with dead ICE

And he did sell the car

Too bad so few cars sell private party anymore, good deals to be had

redpoint5 07-10-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 544874)
Advice for Volt with dead ICE

And he did sell the car

Does the Volt not have an oil pressure sensor and warning light? Seems crazy to lose an engine that only has about 100k miles on it.

Losing a pump should set off a flashing CEL, alerting the driver to stop the car ASAP.

rmay635703 07-10-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 544875)
Does the Volt not have an oil pressure sensor and warning light? Seems crazy to lose an engine that only has about 100k miles on it.

Engine wasn't lost, op was saying $3k to replace the oil pump

aerostealth 07-16-2017 03:35 PM

How are some of you guys posting pictures? I keep hearing from Phil Knox he can't post from photo bucket because it demands a membership now. Is there something he doesn't know?

rmay635703 07-16-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerostealth (Post 545308)
How are some of you guys posting pictures? I keep hearing from Phil Knox he can't post from photo bucket because it demands a membership now. Is there something he doesn't know?

This site has self hosted as long as I can remember, so I've not used a 3rd party image hosted since the 90's

redpoint5 07-16-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 544876)
Engine wasn't lost, op was saying $3k to replace the oil pump

OP said that the engine was declared dead. There should be an oil pressure warning and a flashing CEL if pressure drops below some threshold. I'm not familiar with the Volt though, so I don't know if it has those indicator lamps. I know my Prius has no engine coolant temperature gauge.

Quote:

In Chrome, if you right click on the image and select "Inspect", it will show you the URL where the image is listed. If you look at my linked image, you will see that Craigslist is hosting the image. The link will break a few days/weeks after the ad expires and they clear the image from their server.

rmay635703 07-16-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 545321)
OP said that the engine was declared dead. There should be an oil pressure warning and a flashing CEL if pressure drops below some threshold. I'm not familiar with the Volt though, so I don't know if it has those indicator lamps. I know my Prius has no engine coolant temperature gauge.

In Chrome, if you right click on the image and select "Inspect", it will show you the URL where the image is listed. If you look at my linked image, you will see that Craigslist is hosting the image. The link will break a few days/weeks after the ad expires and they clear the image from their server.

He was mistaken, the Volt tells you when oil pressure is low, he assumed it was dead because the dealer said it was and because the pump was noisy.

The guy who bought it just flushed and installed an oil pump rebuild kit.

Daox 07-17-2017 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1500297486

2012 iMiev, 26k miles, $4900.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=MITI

MetroMPG 07-17-2017 10:49 AM

Holy cow.

It tells you these cars are going for peanuts at the dealer auctions.

MetroMPG 07-17-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

How are some of you guys posting pictures?

How to upload pictures here:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...die-35386.html

freebeard 07-26-2017 08:03 PM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1500297486

That's quite the glamour shot for a $5K car.

MetroMPG 01-04-2019 10:33 AM

getting less cheap?

Some used electric-car prices start tracking higher

Quote:

Nissan Leaf: The electric vehicle that has exemplified plummeting value in recent years has finally stopped its depreciation plunge. According to J.D. Power and Associates, 2015 Leaf wholesale prices are about 1 percent higher than they were a year ago. It's just 1 percent, but still.
And the Leaf is not alone...

Quote:

Fiat 500e retention is at 21 percent in the fourth quarter, up from 18 percent a year ago; Chevrolet Spark EV value retention is 25 percent this quarter, vs. 21 percent in the fourth quarter of 2017.
The Spark EV's wholesale prices are also up 10 percent year over year. Dixon said volumes on the Ford Focus EV were too low to cite, but trends indicate that prices and retained value have firmed up for that car as well.
https://www.autonews.com/used-cars/u...heating-little

And

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...racking-higher

Theories to explain the reversal in plunging EV prices:

- The cost of all cars is rising, making used ones more valuable (but if that were true, wouldn't we be seeing some used ICE vehicles going up in value, year-over-year?)

- The fire sale/rock bottom used EV prices in the last couple of years have spurred demand in buyers, thus driving prices back up a bit.

I think #2 is more likely.

NeilBlanchard 01-04-2019 12:28 PM

My neighbors got a Smart ED for $5,500, and they are very happy with it.

redpoint5 01-04-2019 01:08 PM

I predicted in this thread that used EV prices would go up right about now.

Tesla tax credits have been cut in half, and the same will happen to GM in April. Nissan is following closely behind.

If new car sales suddenly become more expensive, that will be reflected in the price of used car prices. Not only that, but plummeting new car sales will shrink used car inventory (shrink supply).

Then there was foreign demand for used EVs that might still be going on. Stricter laws about ICE vehicles increased demand for EVs, but not everyone can afford an expensive new one, so they look elsewhere, to the US.

I'm hoping I didn't really mess up by missing the sweet spot to purchase an EV. A new Leaf or Bolt sounds almost compelling now that Oregon has a credit. Total out of pocket could be somewhere around $20k, which is still way more than I'd like to spend on a vehicle, but then I'd save a lot of time and money on maintenance and "fuel".

RedDevil 01-04-2019 01:57 PM

With more and more electric cars on the road so does the charging network grow, which greatly benefits the relatively low range first gen EV's.
They are becoming more practical, so more attractive.

redpoint5 01-04-2019 02:01 PM

I can see public charging as more useful in Europe, but I don't see it really becoming much of a selling point in the US. The people that buy EVs here charge at home or at work, and don't charge elsewhere much at all.

Long distance travel in an EV is mostly a novelty/curiosity here.

I don't see lack of charging infrastructure to be much of a barrier to entry here. Cost and lack of variety are the 2 biggest reasons people might not buy one.

freebeard 01-04-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

I'm hoping I didn't really mess up by missing the sweet spot to purchase an EV. A new Leaf or Bolt sounds almost compelling now that Oregon has a credit. Total out of pocket could be somewhere around $20k, which is still way more than I'd like to spend on a vehicle, but then I'd save a lot of time and money on maintenance and "fuel".
Too rich for me; fortunately a new Acimoto FUV will be $11,900 — about half that. I'm looking forward to being not dependent on ongoing maintenance.

MetroMPG 01-07-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

plummeting new car sales will shrink used car inventory (shrink supply).

What is this plummet you speak of?

Quote:

Then there was foreign demand for used EVs that might still be going on.

The province of Quebec introduced a rebate for used EV purchases a couple(?) of years ago, and the result meant a significant amount of importing of used EV's from other areas, possibly including the States.

Didn't Oregon recently institute a similar used EV incentive? That would drive prices up as well.

redpoint5 01-07-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 587929)
What is this plummet you speak of?

Didn't Oregon recently institute a similar used EV incentive? That would drive prices up as well.

Speculation of softening sales for Tesla and GM in the US as the federal credit phases out. Nissan is close behind.

Tesla has a few more levers it can pull to keep sales up through 2019 such opening up lease options, releasing different trim levels, and possible price reductions. Tesla already reduced the Model 3 price by $3k in response to the credit getting cut in half.

The Chevy Bolt will practically disappear once the credit phases out.

Yes, Oregon has a used EV credit of up to $5,000 ($2,500 + $2,500). The trick is having enough tax liability while still falling into a modest income bracket to qualify for the other $2,500. I'm not even sure if it's possible to double-dip. Quick math says a single person would need to make about $65,000 to have enough tax liability, but that might be too much to qualify for the modest income incentive.

MetroMPG 01-07-2019 01:17 PM

Ontario completely cancelled its very generous EV incentive ... new purchases only ... this year. I wonder how it affected sales. Will research.

freebeard 01-07-2019 01:17 PM

https://insideevs.com/get-ready-for-...500-ev-rebate/

Quote:

ZERO-EMISSION AND ELECTRIC VEHICLE REBATES
(Rebate Program; Provisions Operative January 1, 2018)
SECTION 149.

(3) The purchaser or lessee of a qualifying vehicle may apply for a rebate for a portion of the purchase price or may choose to assign the rebate to a vehicle dealer or lessor.

(6) Rebates for qualifying vehicles shall be set annually by the department as follows: (a) For light-duty zero-emission vehicles and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles with an electrochemical energy storage capacity of 10 kilowatt hours or more, up to $2,500 but not less than $1,500. (b) For light-duty zero-emission vehicles or plug-in hybrid electric vehicles with an electrochemical energy storage capacity of less than 10 kilowatt hours, up to $1,500 but not less than $750.

(7) To be eligible for a rebate, a person requesting a rebate under the program shall:

(a) Purchase or lease a qualifying vehicle. A lease must have a minimum term of 24 months.

(b) Provide proof of an intent to use the qualifying vehicle primarily on the public highways of this state, which may be satisfied by providing proof of registration of the qualifying vehicle in Oregon.

(c) Submit an application for a rebate to the administrator of the program within six months after the date of purchase of the qualifying vehicle or six months after the date the lease of the qualifying vehicle begins
This says nothing about paying State taxes.

Quote:

Oregon has become a lot more EV friendly, as the Oregon House approved a $5.3 billion, 10-year transportation funding package (HB 2017), that includes plug-in vehicle incentives.
Oregon intends to spend $12 million every year, over the next six years for the rebates.
This is a important point for me, as I don't file tax returns. And I must liquidate assets to get an EV.

Quote:

If the driver qualifies as a low-to-moderate income earner, and will also scrap an older car at the same time (20+ years old), another $2,500 is added to the incentive from the “Charge Ahead” fund (for a total of up to $5,000). This rebates will be available also for used cars.
This is contingent on taking a 1999 or earlier car off the road. The Dasher is now worth $2500.

redpoint5 01-07-2019 01:26 PM

We're in a tough spot for EVs because with subsidy, they become quite attractive, but without, sales have been shown to plummet. Georgia (US state) comes to mind.

EVs aren't cheap enough on their own yet to drive volume sales. I mean, the Model 3 isn't even down to $35k yet, which isn't cheap either. It seems to me the price needs to drop about $10k across the board for EVs to really begin stealing ICE sales. No telling how much room there is for cost reduction, and battery cost is probably the #1 factor.

Manufacturers aren't finding the profit margins they want to see on EVs and PHEVs. The Volt is getting axed despite being a little more than 2 years into the new design. What a shame.

redpoint5 01-07-2019 01:32 PM

Ah, so an old car has to come off the road too...

My parents have a 1998 Camry with 300,000 miles on it, with various leaks and issues. Maybe this is a good way to get rid of it.

So now as I understand it, one rebate only applies to new vehicle purchases, and the other can be used for both?

MetroMPG 01-10-2019 04:17 PM

End of Ontario rebate = sales collapse

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 587959)
with subsidy, they become quite attractive, but without, sales have been shown to plummet. Georgia (US state) comes to mind.

You can add Ontario to the list:

Quote:

Nissan Leaf sales collapse in Ontario after incentive axed

According to Nissan Canada, it sold 695 electric vehicles in Ontario in August. By November, those sales dropped to 10. That’s not a typo.
https://driving.ca/nissan/leaf/auto-...incentive-axed

Pretty dramatic.

But that may not be a 100% representative stat, because the cancellation of the rebate was announced several months in advance, which probably pushed a bunch of fence-sitters into making purchases before the rebate went away, inflating the "before" figure.

The owner of the Prius Prime I got to drive for a week took the plunge for that very reason.

rmay635703 01-10-2019 05:25 PM

Wisconsin EV sales plummeted to single digits after the EV tax passed the budget

So it’s not just credits that can affect sales, demerits can also