EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   Cheap way to patch a tube? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cheap-way-patch-tube-308.html)

SVOboy 12-14-2007 03:51 PM

Cheap way to patch a tube?

Are there any tricks or should I just buy a patch kit?

MetroMPG 12-14-2007 04:04 PM

Not that I know of (which doesn't mean anything). I use sticky-patches for trail-side repair, and the regular glue kit at home.

I think the kit counts as cheap though. It's like 3 bucks, and there's enough stuff in it for half a dozen patches.

SVOboy 12-14-2007 04:06 PM

I guess I'll have to get one, damn my luck. Didn't even ride one these two tires and both got flats (2 days after I put the air in no less). :(

igo 12-14-2007 05:04 PM

Patch kits are like $1.99. Anyways, i heard you can cut up old inertube as long as you make sure to clean them and give the cut up tube a good sanding.

Lazarus 12-14-2007 07:53 PM

I'm patch challenged. I have never been able to get a patch to hold on a road tube. :( I have had success with MTB tire I don't know if the pressure or what but I just carry spare tubes now on the RB.

SVOboy 12-14-2007 07:55 PM

I bought a spare tube, went out and got 3, but 20 bucks later only one is holding air. Guy I bought the rims from never had a problem but thought it might be the powder coating flaking off. I'm about to play with them more.

trebuchet03 12-14-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 2239)
Are there any tricks or should I just buy a patch kit?

I've had success with rubber cement and a cut piece of a donor tube :thumbup:

SVOboy 12-14-2007 07:57 PM

I wish I had some rubber cement...I wonder if that stuff I use for art whose name I forget right now might work...

trebuchet03 12-14-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 2262)
I wish I had some rubber cement...I wonder if that stuff I use for art whose name I forget right now might work...

Contact cement would probably work too... Possibly even a liberal application of super glue. But really, a patch is just temporary until you get a new tube - in my opinion :p

AndrewJ 12-14-2007 08:40 PM

rubber cement, contact cement, any of it will work.
The trick to making a patch hold really really well is that you have to apply some serious pressure to it after it has been stuck on. If I'm at home I'll lay it flat and pound on it with a rubber mallet or something similar. If I'm on the side of the road I'll bash it between (whatever I can find) and the heel of my hand.

Oh, and make sure you're following the instructions as per the rubber or contact cement. Apply it to both pieces, then let it dry. Only after it's COMPLETELY dry do you stick them together.