EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Chevrolet Cruze Eco Question??? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/chevrolet-cruze-eco-question-18310.html)

doomz78 07-27-2011 11:44 PM

Chevrolet Cruze Eco Question???

So If I buy thing Cruze Eco 6 speed manual it has a 1.4 liter turbo. Can I engine off coast this kind of vehicle without the turbo exploding? Or hurting the engine?

What do you guys think?

gone-ot 07-28-2011 12:32 AM

...engine OFF coasting is not a good idea (especially at high speeds) because the turbocharger (which is physically mounted *in* the exhaust manifold) is cooled (coolant) and oiled (oil) by the same coolant and oil that services the rest of the engine.

...if the engine's OFF, so are the cooling and oiling of the turbo, which is VERY co$tly to replace.

...yes, I have a Cruze 1.4LT, an LTZ model, not an Eco, however.

tjts1 07-28-2011 12:55 AM

Why would you want to?

Daox 07-28-2011 07:53 AM

As Old Tele man says its not good for the turbo. However, you could work around this by using an electric oil pump. You'd need some nifty way of controlling it as well.

Piwoslaw 07-28-2011 10:53 AM

Doomz78, check out this thread on EO(ff)C-ing a turbo'ed car. It was meant for turbodiesels, but the same applies to gassers. The bottom line is that you can kill your turbo'd engine, but you should coast in neutral first for a few seconds to allow it to cool down. This pretty much limits your EO(ff)C to loooong coasts, but even then it may still be worth it.

For example, if I'm driving in rolling hills then I try to have 2-4 engine on coasts between engine offing to make sure there isn't too much (thermal) stress. I don't kill the engine if the coast will be less than 500 meters, unless I'm coasting to a red light. On the other hand, it would have been a sin to keep my engine on during 5-6km coasts in the Austrian Alps, ah...

gone-ot 07-28-2011 12:14 PM

...unfortunately, there's a BIG difference between a turbocharger bolted onto an exhaust manifold (most other cars and trucks) and the Cruze which (literally!) has it's small turbocharge actually bolted *into* its exhaust manifold (for both turbo "lag" reduction as well as quicker catalytic converter "lite-off").

...if the OP hasn't read-up on the 1.4LT engine in his Cruze, he might consider visiting some of the Cruze forums, such as CruzeForumz.com and CruzeTalk.com, etc.

Angmaar 07-28-2011 12:35 PM

Just let it cost in neutral instead of turning it off. It will save some wear and tear on your turbo and starting motor.

SentraSE-R 07-28-2011 06:24 PM

Can we assume none of the cautions are applicable if you haven't spooled the turbo up within 30 seconds of turning the engine off?

gone-ot 07-28-2011 06:47 PM

...how "slow" are you driving? it's active between 1850-4900 rpm.

SentraSE-R 07-28-2011 07:16 PM

There's no boost gauge? There's a big difference between cruising at 2000 rpm and boosting at 2000 rpm. The turbo only spools a fraction of the time you're in that rpm range, right?