EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Class 8 FE (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/class-8-fe-18549.html)

gtstanger01 08-18-2011 09:20 AM

Class 8 FE

I have recently purchased a 2007 Volvo VNL 780 semi. I've been eccomodding my Hyundai for some time now and am looking at some eccomods for the rig. Tygen1 said there is some of here the own rigs and I am wanting to know who you and what you have done.

Tygen1 08-18-2011 12:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Maybe this will help?

gtstanger01 08-18-2011 02:48 PM

i'll my breath lol. i think you spend too much time at work on the internet. lool

Tygen1 08-18-2011 03:42 PM

Naa, just the lunch hour...then I'm just reading about cars anyway, so it's work related ;)

Anyhow, the point of the article is to show you the potential gains to be had from the different areas.

oil pan 4 08-18-2011 06:48 PM

See this months issue of dieselpower magizine.
Had a few large sections about water and water methanol injecion.

slowmover 08-18-2011 07:11 PM

Bruce Mallinson makes a number of points about efficiency (not just extra power) in his articles referenced at his business, PITTSBURGH POWER. Look for a short series on an O/O named A.J.

Also, Kevin Rutherford, in some articles online (he has a paying site).

Truckers Report may have a few tidbits. Use the above names and the topic to search over there. Both men bring up strong responses, so be thorough, IMO.

There are at least a half-dozen threads on this site in re Class 8 FE.

Do a search on www.biglorryblog.com. to see what they're doing across the pond.

Tygen1 08-18-2011 09:34 PM

I won't scan the Diesel Power article, cause it was way to hard to make the other one small enough to fit. It's the Aug. '11 Issue. The article is no really detailed and they don't seem to make a statement of exact reduction in fuel use. However there graphs clearly show a reduction in fuel use. Like most lab tests, I presume they are showing the best results, so your results may varry. In their advertisements, Snow claims a 6-12% economy gain from their MPG Max system.

You really need to call TS and see if they can get you a tuner that can also deal with your EGR.

You drive your rig well, it has a big head start on the aero front, so I gotta believe there is a good bit to be gained from tuning because your mpg ought to be better than what it is. You should open up a fuel log for this so we can keep track as you rack up the miles.

I'd really like to see what improvements could be made aerodynamic wise. Be nice to see some wheel covers, skirts and close the gap between the cab and trailer.

Tygen1 08-18-2011 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what his looks like.

ecomodded 08-18-2011 11:54 PM

They (Volvo) have done a great job with the aerodynamics of there semi's, I wonder if they make a aero tailored trailer, as that trailer could use side skirts with wheel cover panels. That would help with your rig,although chances are you would be picking up and dropping off various trailers. Your rig looks sweet, I like the look of the improved aerodynamics.

a quick idea is too make aerodynamic mirror fairings to flow the air around the mirrors smoothly.

slowmover 08-19-2011 09:45 AM

If you own the trailer then you're miles ahead in re add-on aero. If not then maybe a self-imposed 58-mph speed limit is in order. As well as a TRIPAC APU.